Online Erik Luken

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
    • Arkayn Game Design
FAQ
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »
Q. What is Aurora?
A. Aurora is a 4x (eXpand, eXplore, eXternimate, eXploit) game. Written by Steve Walmsley.

Q: Are there any System Requirements?
A: The only one is a screen resolution of 1280x1024

Q: Why do time increments sometimes get cut short?
A: Read this thread for a detailed explanation: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1839

Q: I have a window that doesn't appear on the screen, or appears to be off-screen. How do I fix that?
A: Close all windows (or restart) and then use the Reset Window Positions option on the Miscellaneous menu on the main menu bar

Q: Help! I'm using windows 7/Vista and the game crashes
A: Windows 7, and possibly Vista, need to have the game run as administrator. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1828&view=unread#unread

Q: I'm using Windows 7/Vista and I keep getting permission errors when trying to extract patch files to the Aurora folder
A: This has to do with security features. The easy fix is to right click /aurora , go to "Properties", go to "Security", browse to the one called "Users" and modify it to have all permissions. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1828&view=unread#unread

Q: I just surveyed this planet/moon/asteroid, but nothing shows up.
Q: Why can't I see the minerals on all the bodies in the system?
Q: Why are there pages/systems/colonies missing from the Mineral Report screen?
A: Very few system bodies will have Trans-Newtonian Elements on them - less than one in twenty. If there are no minerals, the survey/report/window will be blank for that body (well, unless there are alien ruins, which are one-in-a-thousand rare).

Q: Why is the colony list invisible? (and all forms of that question).
A: Aurora does not play well with touch screen configurations. Go to the Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Device Manager, under the Human Interface Devices, search for "HID-compliant touch screen" and disable it. Note; you will lose touch screen capability while it is deactivated, but you can reactivate it later.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:14:31 AM by Erik Luken »

Online Erik Luken

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
    • Arkayn Game Design
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
Post other questions and answers, and I'll add them to the first post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: FAQ
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
How about this one added to the FAQ...

Who is SteveW?

Steve, at the risk of sounding like a cyber-stalker (which I'm most certainly not), I'm interested to know a little bit about your background.  Like a good book, I always flip to the author's bio to see a little bit about where they come from.  Aurora is a fascinating game, and the more I learn about it and the more I read your updated tutorials, the more captivating it becomes.  It really is a unique piece of work that stands as a bright shinning light amongst so many dull stars.  If I had to guess, I'd say you have a strong science/mathematics background because science/math play such a fundamental role in the logic behind Aurora.  The calculations appear to be so routed in math and actual science that it lends a truly authentic factor to what is going on in Aurora. You're also obviously a shameless 4x strategy gamer (like myself) and huge fan of military sci-fi (also like myself).

Anyway, I hope I'm not crossing an invisible line, that you'll forgive my curiosity and maybe even indulge us a little!

S/F

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:31:21 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, atlana

Offline Jarhead0331

• Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
Talk about indulging my curiosity! Thanks for your candid post Steve...I feel that I don't only know a lot more about Aurora's creator, but I feel like I know a lot more about Aurora, as well.  Sorry if drafting your bio took time away from the next portion of the tutorial, of which I eagerly await!

PS - I've had quite a winding path professionally, as well...my path has led me to the legal profession where I'm currently in private practice.  If you ever run into any legal issues with respect to Aurora or its IP, please do not hesitate to get in touch.  Although I'm overseas in the States, it would be my pleasure to assist in any way possible.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, Griswel

Offline swatter555

• Able Ordinary Rate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »
A professional poker player/ game developer... interesting.

Offline Darkone

• Leading Rate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Q: Help! I'm using windows 7/vista and the game crashes on-
A: Windows 7 and (possibly vista? Not sure) Both need to have the game run as administrator, otherwise it probably will never start at all.

Q: I'm using Windows 7/vista and I keep getting permission errors when trying to extract patch files to the Aurora folder!
A: This has to do with security features. The easy FIX (not sloppy hack job ;P) is to right click /aurora , go to properties, go to "Security", browse to the one called "Users" and modify it to have all permissions.

- note, I've been playing around a bit with trying to see if you can manage permissions for yourself for the entire program files folder, but it won't let you from /Program Files, and I can't find any central permissions/security thing like in XP

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »
Quote from: "Darkone"
Q: Help! I'm using windows 7/vista and the game crashes on-
A: Windows 7 and (possibly vista? Not sure) Both need to have the game run as administrator, otherwise it probably will never start at all.

Q: I'm using Windows 7/vista and I keep getting permission errors when trying to extract patch files to the Aurora folder!
A: This has to do with security features. The easy FIX (not sloppy hack job ;P) is to right click /aurora , go to properties, go to "Security", browse to the one called "Users" and modify it to have all permissions.

- note, I've been playing around a bit with trying to see if you can manage permissions for yourself for the entire program files folder, but it won't let you from /Program Files, and I can't find any central permissions/security thing like in XP
Thanks, I'll add these to the first post

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »
Q: I just surveyed this planet/moon/asteroid, but nothing shows up.
Q: Why can't I see the minerals on all the bodies in the system?
Q: Why are there pages/systems/colonies missing from the Mineral Report screen?

A: Very few system bodies will have Trans-Newtonian Elements on them - less than one in twenty.  If there are no minerals, the survey/report/window will be blank for that body (well, unless there are alien ruins, which are one-in-a-thousand rare).

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline gofight

• Able Ordinary Rate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Are nuclear weapons considered as dangerous weapons?
brass knuckle

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
Quote from: "gofight"
Are nuclear weapons considered as dangerous weapons?
In what context? There is no diplomatic consequence specific to nuclear weapons, beyond the penalties for attacking with any type of weapon.

Steve

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »
I was just rereading the bio to check what was in here and I realised large sections are missing. Paragraphs and even sentences had been snipped out. I assume the change to the new forums has chopped it for some reason. This must have happened to other posts as well, especially the longer fiction posts, but because information has been chopped out in sections, rather than just being cut short, it isn't obvious. I have updated the bio information to the original version. Is there anyway to recover the fiction from the original site as I am now sure the current fiction versions will have suffered the same fate

Steve
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:36:25 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Online Erik Luken

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
    • Arkayn Game Design
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
I was just rereading the bio to check what was in here and I realised large sections are missing. Paragraphs and even sentences had been snipped out. I assume the change to the new forums has chopped it for some reason. This must have happened to other posts as well, especially the longer fiction posts, but because information has been chopped out in sections, rather than just being cut short, it isn't obvious. I have updated the bio information to the original version. Is there anyway to recover the fiction from the original site as I am now sure the current fiction versions will have suffered the same fate

Steve

I'm guessing the missing stuff was framed by single quotes. That tends to mess up MySQL. With specific posts I could try to retrieve the post from the original site and replace it here.

Offline Draco_Argentum

• Able Ordinary Rate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
As Mor put it in this thread something to be added to the FAQ is the game isn't compatible with touch devices.  In addition to the ones in the link I just discovered it also does not work if you have a Wacom tablet driver installed.  Specifically the + buttons in the population and production window don't work, they open the system generation and display window.  Uninstall and reboot to get it going.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:18 AM »
Q: Why is the colony list invisible? (and all forms of that question).
A: Aurora does not play well with touch screen configurations. Go to the Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Device Manager, under the Human Interface Devices, search for "HID-compliant touch screen" and disable it. Note; you will lose touch screen capability while it is deactivated, but you can reactivate it later.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52