Author Topic: Emergancy Technology Session  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
Emergancy Technology Session
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »
I have not received any word from my technology minister,  though I am not yet ready to panic as there is time, I worry he may miss the deadline and wast possible research and development time.   as we have no set resolution for an incident such as this, I feel as though it would be responsible to lay a plan of action before the senate.

We have 2 scientist teams available.   Jason Winston who specializes in power and propulsion, perfect as we are still limited to conventional engines for thrust and propulsion,  a doable but lengthly prospect.  unfortuantly he is only 21 years of age and has no actual experience (0% bonus), not that we have a choice for our second scientist is Ken Minger, specialization in defense systems and also at 21 years of age with no actual experience.

Basic designs and research into Nuclear Propulsion has been compleated by DaZmar,  and claim that Mr Winston could have a nuclear engine component built and ready for production by the 15th with all research labs assigned to his team, leaving the entirety of the labs available for the rest of January.  another alternative is to split the labs by 7 and 8, this will ensure a nuclear engine prepared by the first of February and leave us free to persue other courses, perhaps temporaraly converting Mr. Minglers team into developing a civilian model which will take a few days longer than the military.  if we run both projects split we could see the military engine ready by 1st of February and the Civilian model ready by the 17th.

My idea would be to actually develop the civilian model first, 10 labs to Mr. Winston,  and the research woudl be done January 29th.  five labs would be available, perhapse we could temporarily assign Mr. Mingler to one of the many components needed for our first military ship with the remaining five.

As it stands there are three Proposals for engine components two military and one civilian

Militarily you have the Arkayn Mfg NTE-25 And the DaZmar Super Nova E-10NT
Civilian wise, there is the DaZmar Nova E-1NT

Again as there is still time the results are not final but I feel we should have a resolution ready should our Technology minister suffers a continued leave of absence, as they do happen in time to time.  this should also begin discussion on what we should do to ensure this does not happen again, be it vice ministries, an emergency vote handled by the senate every time the deadline approaches,  or left to the president as I elected him to this position in my name.

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
Re: Emergancy Technology Session
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
[ooc]First things first, I believe Jason Winston should be called J. Winston or Mr. J. Winston to avoid confusion with Charles Winston, I know I thought that Charles was the one doing the research before I thought about it[/ooc]

I would support your idea of a 10-5 split between the scientists on the basis that engine technology is one of if not the most important aspects of any ship, so the research should reflect that.

This absence does concern me, but I think it should be the Vice President who acts in the place of an absent minister in the future as that position does not really have much to do and simply being a replacement for any absent minister rather than just the President seems like a good step.

George Payne
Infrastructure Minister
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:30:03 AM by areyoua »

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »
A good suggestion though to point out the Vice president is selected from the ministers and therefore would be covering for the duties of two ministers,  while I do not belive my Vice President has any issue with extra workload it may result in potential abuse and claims of such abuse.  but good idea non the less.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
I would normally suggest a Deputy Minister, such as the Survey Minister has, would be the first to provide the details, if their is no deputy head, I would suggest the President should have over acting power here, then the Vice president after that.

It is not that I am concerned with the workload, I am more concerned with protocol.

Having said this I am happy with the President suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:43:33 AM by ardem »

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
As President, you should take those decisions.

I actually think we should rush the civilian drive into production using all our labs and Dr. Wilson. We have no need for military drive yet, but civilian engines are in great demand, both for survey and commerce crafts.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
I must agree with Sheb, we need a civilian engine as soon as possible to get our geological survey ships built. The options for expanding the economy are also better with civilian engines.

After that is completed, I think a more even split with Dr. J. Winston working on the military engines and Mr. Minger seconded to Chemistry Unlimited! to help in our work in improving our Duranium Steel into a more resilient, high density variety that will be allow stronger and lighter frames and shells for our next generation of starships.

--Orion Starion
disclaimer: Chemistry Unlimited! is a subsidiary of the Starion Foundation

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
As more designs are on the table using civilian engines, I also support the development of that technology first, we have no known enemies currently so military officers can be seconded to civilian ships to gain training while the navy is built. As long as military research is indeed on the docket and does not get pushed back even more this seems perfectly reasonable.

Offline areyoua

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
Well, I did not expect the Military Minister to come out in favor of putting his ships second, but in the light of even his endorsement of commercial engines first, I must shift my support to commercial ships. After all, he was the Vice Admiral.

George Payne
Infrastructure Minister

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
Gentlemen, I thank you for your considered advice upon this subject, and I am glad to see we have general agreement with the course I laid out in the memorandum dated 25th May http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3568.msg35556.html#msg35556.  Our Vice-President's most esteemed and talented nephew Dr. J. Winston, despite his young age, has been placed in charge developing a new commercial engine for us.