Author Topic: Questions Thread  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Questions Thread
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
First. :) But also what struck me after reading FAQ: Is land battle on Earth permitted? Because given how that works in Aurora, it might be a quick and relatively unsightful early end, given how just the strongest site wins basically, and not investing to maximize this would for many years be too risky for anyone, hence intense investment priority.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
Re: Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
Each side has ~360 Nuclear  tipped ICBMs due to the conventional start.   Land wars will result in Mutual assured destruction (And ending all life on earth)  till countermeasures can happen.

If the teams want I will be more then happy to have a rule that no land war for the first ten years. By then the Missile complexes would be obsolete and each team would have ten years to build up countermeasures to a invasion. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
How will tech design work? Do we get a listing of our faction's current tech across all research areas and then we just specify the parameters of whatever component or project we want to start?
Or do we just specify the desired capabilities and hope you give us the optimal configuration (eg no capacitor tech 8 for a 10cm laser)

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
How will tech design work? Do we get a listing of our faction's current tech across all research areas and then we just specify the parameters of whatever component or project we want to start?
Or do we just specify the desired capabilities and hope you give us the optimal configuration (eg no capacitor tech 8 for a 10cm laser)

You would specify.  You will be given detailed info on what tech you have, and I would ask you to spec out the parameters. 

Offline Shiwanabe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hrm, text can't drone
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:59:04 AM »
Just for clarification: We're starting with Trans-Newtonian technology already researched? And nothing further like Geological Survey Sensors/Weapons/Engines/Etc?

Edit:
Also, can we get full listing of what buildings we have at game start?

As it stands my guess is:
Academies - 2
Research Laboratories - 25
Mines - 180
Auto Mines - 20
Conventional Industry - 1600?
Naval Shipyard - 1
Commercial Shipyard - 1
Deep Space Tracking Stations - 1?
Maintenance Facilities - 5?
Ground Force Training Facilities - 1?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:11:20 AM by Shiwanabe »

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:12:16 AM »
Have you worked out a time schedule for the game yet? Ie, closing times for player registrations, official start for the game, timings for regular reports to each faction, etc.

Also, do we want to encourage use of our "official" voice/text chat channel on Discord?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:31:02 AM by AL »

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:07 AM »
Just for clarification: We're starting with Trans-Newtonian technology already researched? And nothing further like Geological Survey Sensors/Weapons/Engines/Etc?

Edit:
Also, can we get full listing of what buildings we have at game start?

As it stands my guess is:
Academies - 2
Mines - 180
Auto Mines - 20
Conventional Industry - 1600?
Naval Shipyard - 1
Commercial Shipyard - 1
Deep Space Tracking Stations - 1?
Maintenance Facilities - 5?
Ground Force Training Facilities - 1?

Yes, Trans-Newtonian is researched, but nothing else is.  This makes a challenge of what to research first.   Of course, many of the first techs are inexpensive and with 25 labs you will be able to obtain a lot of the basic tech quickly.   

Buildings will be

Academies - 2
Mines - 180
Auto Mines - 20
Conventional Industry - 1600
Naval Shipyard - 1
Commercial Shipyard - 1
Deep Space Tracking Stations - 1
Maintenance Facilities - 5
Ground Force Training Facilities - 2

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 09:32:51 AM »
Have you worked out a time schedule for the game yet? Ie, closing times for player registrations, official start for the game, timings for regular reports to each faction, etc.

Also, do we want to encourage use of our "official" voice/text chat channel on Discord?

I have not used that voice/text chat, so I am not going to encourage or not encourage using it.  of course, a team is more then welcome to use it for discussing stuff.

Turns will be at least 1-week, I know of a few people who are waiting for approval for their forum names, so the game it not going to start for at least a few days.   I am working on the offical schedule. I was also thinking of allowing people to join up after the game has started to role play playing Naval officers and the like, and carrying out any role delegated to them, This will help the teams in case someone has to drop out the team has a ready supply of players to replace that player and them knowing what going on.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
I have not used that voice/text chat, so I am not going to encourage or not encourage using it.  of course, a team is more then welcome to use it for discussing stuff.

Turns will be at least 1-week, I know of a few people who are waiting for approval for their forum names, so the game it not going to start for at least a few days.   I am working on the offical schedule. I was also thinking of allowing people to join up after the game has started to role play playing Naval officers and the like, and carrying out any role delegated to them, This will help the teams in case someone has to drop out the team has a ready supply of players to replace that player and them knowing what going on.

All accounts are now awaiting user activation.

This process will fail for the following reasons:
1. Duplicate accounts - The forum uses something to check to see if there is an account that already exists that meets the criteria for duplication. I reject those.
2. Bounced emails - You don't get the email for the activation link because of an invalid email address, a throw-away account, or one of those one-time email services? Then you probably won't get activated.
3. Certain domains are banned - Due to a high volume of spam accounts being created from certain domains (and TLDs) I've banned those from creating accounts.

If they don't fall into one of those categories, then they need to check for emails from aurora@pentarch.org for the activation link.

The following users thanked this post: Drgong

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »
Thanks Erik, the person I know who was waiting for a chance to play showed up in the last hour to the threads  :)  Thank you for the chance to have this community game and doing the thankless job of moderating a forum. 

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
Chat is too hectic for me though. I have proudly left my Skype age behind me and never intend to go back seeing what it did to my productivity at critical times.

But what I wanted to propose here is some unified backstory. For RP incitement, we need a reason why suddenly trans-newtonian stuff exists. Playing as Russia just got me an idea for this though: The big bang of Tunguska in 1908. You can read it up on Wiki for interesting details, but essentially there was some huge explosion in russian tundra at that time, and way before nuclear weaponry, that most likely was caused by a quite large meteor hitting earth. The impact was so intense that the shockwave flew around the planet multiple times, and the atmosphere got charged up so that people on the other side of the globe were able to read newspaper at night for the next days to come.
Thing about this though, even until today: We have not found a definite crater, even though there are some suspicions about certain seas.(might be really deeply buried)
...In other words, a perfect opportunity for a hidden ancient spaceship crash.

We need no details about who or what exactly crashed there for now. Just that Russia finally dug up the ship, analyzed it, and became aware to what TN resources are, and how to find them, and potentially utilize them. Intelligence of the world got wind of it, so American and etc. Agents were taking looks at the crash as well.(or maybe there were defectors or other things even ->-> Team 2 can say what they would want. The story shouldn't be completely Russia booked anyway)

Of course this premise (with the tech-"steal"/migration) places initial well founded qualms between the powers, but since we are in cold war anyway... .

Another advantage for me personally: You might not know, but "Vandermeer" is actually just a book character from a german author who wrote exactly about that big Tunguska explosion. Vandermeer was a german reporter with very interesting personality who investigated this as something similar happened a second time in that region about 90 years later.(wasn't aliens though, was "god" )
That means I can sluice in my forum name into this situation, and have it make kind of sense. ;D

---
Also, we need a topic in which both teams can just talk. Especially now where setting needs to be agreed upon.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
Another question just to make clear: We are not allowed to look into "Team 2" now anymore?
I was curious about their general political structure, but then noticed I might accidentally read strategies.
..However, we should at least announce these basics somewhere for both, like who is leader/staff-chef/greatest scientist etc., how the political system and their distribution of power works, and how the military is structured. That should be known.

Also for some future: Maybe we can enhance the espionage system in some way? Original Aurora doesn't have much here, but since we have an SM now that can see all, we could introduce things like (espionage minus counter-espionage) = espionage budget, or "espionage random event" chance maybe, depending on allocated skill levels of the agents.
I need an acknowledgement that this is not too complex or unnecessary before I (or someone) can assemble a detailed system for discussion though.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:36:22 AM »
I set up a game discussion thread so all can post.   both teams are self-organizing at the moment.

Please bring up the Espionage concept over to that thread and if the two teams can find something mutually agreeable  then I will be most likely game for it.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »
Is your side a full player with which we can interact as we any other side, or does it have some limitations? I've just thinking it might have some neat effect if it's clear the NPC is going to side against whatever side first nuke earth.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 04:11:59 AM »
Could you also specify the "official timezone" that your schedule will work by?

And I'm guessing those faction topics are officially members' eyes only now, if they weren't already.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:59:19 AM by AL »