Author Topic: Budget  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
Budget
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:23:08 AM »
I think the president should nominate ministers, but also set the budget. He should make an estimate of how much money we're going to have, and how much each minister can use.

Minerals should be managed by the Industry Minister (maybe make it into a separate minsitry later on). He can choose to restrict the use of a given minerals if there isn't enough of it.

Offline Detjen

• Lieutenant
Re: Budget
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:51:12 AM »
  I know I havent gotten the Constitution or the charter as it will probly be called since theres a strong push for a Corporate ran government,  but you actually hit the Industry minister's role pretty much on the head.    his role is to oversee the construction efforts from infrastructure to new Ships so they pretty much control the flow of minerals.     If for example the Military wished to build three new cruisers,  and had the presidents approval then the Military minister would have to work with the Industry guy to get it done,  maybe the yards are busy building new colony ships and theres only one slip available,  or maybe theres a resource shortage,  so the two ministries would have to agree on say building one cruiser now and two more after the first ones completed or continue one at a time if resources remain short.

Although now that i type that the idea of a budget would be a cool idea too.   we could say the Military "budget" is 25% of all minerals in our stockpile or specific numbers if the president so chooses.    The military then has control of military shipyards and are free to build whatever they want as long as their budget falls within limit.   if there is overages then its up to the Military to get approval from the industrial to use excess resources.  I could also see the military making deals with the survey or commerce ministers to use military shipyards to build civilian ships in return fro a little extra of their resources.    Maybe we should even make a new ministry a budget ministry?

Industry minister could be responsible for building new facilities on a planet, the research labs or mines for example.   but a Financial minister could be in charge of the actual budget. it would be his responsibility to ensure no one was abusing their budgeted quota, he woudl work with the president to set the yearly budget to control resources and so on.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:11:36 AM »
Well, I think the president can do the budget, as he doesn't have much things to do. And minerals should be owned by Industry, I wa sonly thinking of cold, hard coins here.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
Senator Wilson scratches his nearly balding head

Interesting I though the Infrastructure had the shipyard power, so what does that mean with Survey ships which are both military and civilian ships. Do I need to go to two different ministries to seek a ship to be laid?

Offline Detjen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:35:54 AM »
No at the moment all shipyard production remains under the control of the Infrastructure Minister 
 I was just sating some idea in my head, that perhaps the shipyards could be split into their respective ministers,  which would require more diplomacy from our survey ministers as he would indeed have to go between the two ministers to get his ships.   for the moment there is no foreseeable change and I believe shipyard production will remian in the hand of our Infrastructure minister

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:30:47 AM »
I think the president setting a budget is probably a good thing and is more a guide for the infrastructure minister, it might be too hard to actually formulate a strict budget.

But if Survey is getting 80% of craft built and Military is getting 0% built then it easy to see the infrastruture minister is not following the letter of the law and perhaps the president can call for a vote to end his tenure.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:01 AM »
I'm also interested in the allocation of wealth. I'll pursue a policy of subsidies to the shipping lines, but how much wealth can I afford to give out?

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
I had a thought, what if the President assigned a research budget to each field, and it was up to the technology minister what to research.

Say he said he want 10% research devote to construction, 10% Defence 10% Energy 20 % , missile production 5% etc etc.

Components would fall into the the respective fields, what you would do is calculate the number of total labs, against the percentage and there you have a budget for research.

That to me seems a very good compromise.