Author Topic: Jump Tenders - A Different Approach  (Read 8362 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Re: Jump Tenders - A Different Approach
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
The Pegasus is as originally posted, the Cetan was revised after original posting but the revision was also posted in this thread.

As far as maintenance clocks go, while the Cetan is docked to the Pegasus, the Cetan's maintenance clock does tick up, however her fighter's clocks do not tick up. So it's not exactly as I had hoped, but still basically functional and provides a more capable front-line carrier than my jump-carrier designs.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »
After completion of her maiden voyage, the Pegasus and her support craft have joined the Sol System Defense Fleet and set course for the Luyten 140-9 system. After arriving on station, a small scouting party was launched. Their mission is to transit into the hostile Eta Cephei system and deploy sensor satellites. These satellites should provide valuable intel on enemy fleet movements and ship capabilities.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
With the jump point cleared, the Pegasus has completed her transit into hostile territory. No hostile contacts have yet been spotted, though the wrecks of the previous survey expedition are visible in the distance. Scouts are being deployed to establish a sensor satellite network.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 03:27:12 PM »
Actually I lied. I did upgrade the fuel slightly on the final Pegasus to my current maximum capacity. Forgot about that.

Code: [Select]
Pegasus C class Jump Tender      200,000 tons       1,473 Crew       12,181.5 BP       TCS 4,000    TH 4,000    EM 0
1000 km/s    JR 2-25(C)      Armour 7-304       Shields 0-0       HTK 248      Sensors 11/11/0/0      DCR 11      PPV 0
MSP 2,038    Max Repair 806.9 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 70,000 tons     Cryogenic Berths 3,000   
Admiral    Control Rating 3   BRG   AUX   ENG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Flight Crew Berths 1,400   

Chaimberlin-Sherman JC200K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 200000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2

Chaimberlin-Sherman Commercial Internal Fusion Drive  EP1000.00 (4)    Power 4000    Fuel Use 3.35%    Signature 1000    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 8,669,000 Litres    Range 232.6 billion km (2692 days at full power)

Chaimberlin-Sherman Active Search Sensor AS39-R100 (50%) (1)     GPS 2100     Range 39.8m km    Resolution 100
Chaimberlin-Sherman Active Search Sensor AS68-R500 (50%) (1)     GPS 10500     Range 68.1m km    Resolution 500
Chaimberlin-Sherman Thermal Sensor TH1.0-11.0 (50%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  26.2m km
Chaimberlin-Sherman EM Sensor EM1.0-11.0 (50%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  26.2m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

The following users thanked this post: Second Foundationer

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
During her scouting mission, Cetan failed to locate any surviving life pods. However, upon approaching the wreck of the Devilfish 001, she encountered a hostile ship. She immediately fled for the jump point, but before she arrived several incoming missile contacts were detected. Fighters were deployed on an intercept mission but missed their target, leaving the Cetan to her own defenses. Fortunately, her armament of CIWS turrets proved most effective and destroyed two entire hostile missile salvoes of nearly 15 missiles each, resulting in no damage to the Cetan. After recovering her fighters and launching a sensor satellite, the Cetan fled to the safety of the Pegasus, which made an immediate jump point transit and set course for Terra. No further hostile contacts have yet been detected.

Attached are some screenshots from the first battle of Eta Cephei.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:50:30 PM by liveware »

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
After a period of rest and restitution on Terra, the Pegasus and Cetan are ready for another mission. Their sensor satellites deployed on their previous mission have revealed some useful intelligence about their targets (see attached). Guild central command has decreed that the hostile alien ship shall be captured or destroyed, and has assigned 3 marine boarding squadrons to the Cetan to assist in this effort. Additionally, the discovery of a hostile alien population on Eta Cephei-A II has caused considerable alarm on all Guild colonies, including Terra. Politicians and military planners are engaged in constant discussions regarding planned Guild responses to this new and alarming discovery.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2020, 09:57:55 PM »
Additionally, Guild logisticians have made a useful discovery. Whilst the Cetan is docked to the Pegasus and the Pegasus is docked at a space port, the Cetan consumes no MSP and her maintenance clock does not tick up. This is a considerable economic victory for Guild logisticians.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Additionally, Guild logisticians have made a useful discovery. Whilst the Cetan is docked to the Pegasus and the Pegasus is docked at a space port, the Cetan consumes no MSP and her maintenance clock does not tick up. This is a considerable economic victory for Guild logisticians.
When a ship with commercial hangars is in orbit of a planet with maintenance facilities, its military parasites will use those facilities exactly as they would if they weren't docked.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
Ah, I did not realize that.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2020, 12:33:04 PM »
The Pegasus and Cetan proved their worth today after a successful retaliatory strike against a hostile ship of the Guild-designated Infinite Fire class, which was responsible for the destruction of the original survey craft deployed to the Eta Cephei system. A wing of Piranha-G's and -M's were deployed from the Cetan, and after closing to missile strike range, launched a devastating barrage that resulted in the complete destruction of the Infinite Fire. Attached are some screenshots of the battle.

Guild military planners are now preparing for a ground invasion of Eta Cephei-A II in order to prevent any further attacks against Guild citizens.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:36:20 PM by liveware »

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »
The Guild invasion of Eta Cephei-A II has begun and the marines are making great strides against the enemy with several breakthroughs and incursions into hostile territory within the first day of fighting. Guild marines have suffered no casualties against the entrenched enemy and have inflicted serious damage to several enemy formations, including STO and armored units. The marines are supported by Cetan as well as a newly constructed carrier Leviathan, which carry a combined total of 26 marine landing transports each capable of transporting a 250 ton formation, for a total of 6500 tons of men and equipment. Orbital fire support is provided by a combination of Barracuda-L heavy fighters and newly designed Piranha-PF and Piranha-PB ground support fighters armed with autocannon and bombardment fighter pods. The marines have reduced the estimated 4800 tons of original hostile troops to a current best estimate of 1200 tons. Capitulation is expected soon and CV-E Cetan is approaching the planet to serve as platform for negotiations.

Attached are the latest front-line tactical maps showing the ground OOB and distribution of naval forces in the vicinity of the planet.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
Following a year of bloody fighting, Guild marines succeeded in defeating the enemy. No civilians were found on the planet, only hostile military forces, many of which were deeply entrenched. Following initial successes, the aliens launched a massive planet-wide counteroffensive against Guild forces. The marines were pushed back to their boarding craft, but were not defeated and though losses were heavy, victory was achieved. Platoon casualty rates were as high as 60%, with an average for all attacking forces about 50%. Guild military planners were criticized heavily by the surviving elements for deploying an excess of supply caches and a lack of anti armor weapons with marine squadrons. Future Guild marine detachments will receive more anti-armor weapons and fewer front-line supplies as a result.

Notably, artillery and supply detachments sustained relatively few casualties compared to front line troops. Marine artillery squadrons proved highly effective and were likely a critical element in the success of the invasion, achieving consistent destruction of enemy armor formations and sustaining almost zero casualties.

The enemy fought tenaciously and no prisoners were taken, despite several attempts at communication and peaceful resolution of the conflict. It was discovered after recovering the remains of several defeated alien soldiers that the 'aliens' appeared fully human in their physiology, though somewhat better adapted to the extreme cold of Eta Cephei-A II than the colonial marines. This discovery has been kept secret by order of Guild Central Command until the nature of these mysterious and destructive creatures is better understood.

Several installations and munitions depots were also recovered intact. Xenoarchaeology groups are en-route to unlock the mysteries of the newly acquired alien technologies. Survey craft have also been dispatched to Eta Cephei to complete the geological and gravitational survey of the system.

With the Eta Cephei threat neutralized, Guild strategists look now to developing new colonies in other, better explored regions of Guild territory.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:08:36 PM by liveware »

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2020, 05:37:19 AM »
I tend to do a Warp Cruiser approach from time to time, where I'll put very basic Jump Drives that have the minimum Squadron number and range on anything that I'd want to call a proper Cruiser, and then have a Warp Cruiser with a big tricked out Jump Drive for big the Squadron Jumps to facilitate an assault. Now in C# that's even more viable than it was in VB6, since max jump rating is no longer tied to, or even affected by, the mass of the ship itself.

Sorry, the volume... my bad.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »
I'm quite liking the jump-tender-with-commercial-hangars approach to fleet design. It removes the need for large military jump drives entirely and seems to scale reasonably well with larger numbers of carriers.

I also prefer carriers for almost all engagement situations. I find it much easier to re-design and re-build a fighter wing than an entire fleet of large warships. For example, my fighters are now 2 engine tech levels ahead of my carriers but my carriers continue to provide a useful and capable service to the fleet.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »
Hah, I just realized something kind of awesome.

The Pegasus carrier functions similarly to a Spacing Guild Highliner from the Dune fictional universe. My current empire is the Terran Mercantile Guild. The next time I redesign my commercial carriers they are 100% going to be reclassified as Guild Highliners.

This game is awesome on so many levels.