Author Topic: v1.12.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 36926 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v1.12.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
From the change log "Element Occupation Strength = (SQRT(Size) * Units * Morale) / 10000"

You had said that you had forgotten the 0.01 and yet here you divide by 10000 which is 0.0001. Should the equation be written as such:
"Element Occupation Strength = (SQRT(Size) * Units * Morale) / 100"

Additionally how is the increase in unrest computed - the change logs only mention how unrest is reduced. (Edit: Ive read it again and im assuming if you dont have enough its just a negative police modifier which creates unrest instead)
Furthermore is 1.12 going to show the policing and required policing like VB6 used to?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:49:09 AM by Droll »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »
From the change log "Element Occupation Strength = (SQRT(Size) * Units * Morale) / 10000"

You had said that you had forgotten the 0.01 and yet here you divide by 10000 which is 0.0001. Should the equation be written as such:

Additionally how is the increase in unrest computed - the change logs only mention how unrest is reduced.
Furthermore is 1.12 going to show the policing and required policing like VB6 used to?

I combined the /100 and * 0.01 to make it more readable. SQRT(Size) * Units * (Morale/100) * 0.01 is the same as  (SQRT(Size) * Units * Morale) / 10000"

Unrest is calculated for a variety of different situations. I'll put a post together at some point. 1.12 does show police strength.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:35 AM »

Additionally how is the increase in unrest computed - the change logs only mention how unrest is reduced.

I combined the /100 and * 0.01 to make it more readable. SQRT(Size) * Units * (Morale/100) * 0.01 is the same as  (SQRT(Size) * Units * Morale) / 10000"

Unrest is calculated for a variety of different situations. I'll put a post together at some point. 1.12 does show police strength.

I just thought of this question - what about non-combat classes. In particular im thinking supply trucks. Do they also contribute to defence? The change logs only talk about unit size, amount and morale as factors.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »

I just thought of this question - what about non-combat classes. In particular im thinking supply trucks. Do they also contribute to defence? The change logs only talk about unit size, amount and morale as factors.

Everything contributes, but supply trucks are a lot less efficient than infantry in terms of cost vs occupation strength.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
If I'm reading things right, a large number of units will be more effective at policing then a small number of units for any given formation size?  So light personal weapons might have a use in this case?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »
If I'm reading things right, a large number of units will be more effective at policing then a small number of units for any given formation size?  So light personal weapons might have a use in this case?

I made a police officer class which is exactly that for this purpose.
Since I am playing on 1.11.0 I can't tell how effective but how many 3t police officers would I need to police 4b Imperial population. Assume that the only source of unrest is because of 0 PPV in the system.

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »

Everything contributes, but supply trucks are a lot less efficient than infantry in terms of cost vs occupation strength.
Do higher techs contribute to how much unrest protection units provide?
I.e. Do the "Racial Armour Strength" and "Racial Weapon Strength" values displayed in the GU windows affect the calculation in any way?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »

Do higher techs contribute to how much unrest protection units provide?
I.e. Do the "Racial Armour Strength" and "Racial Weapon Strength" values displayed in the GU windows affect the calculation in any way?

If you look at the equations you'll see that they do not factor in.
It makes sense since as the military grade stuff gets better the hand-me-down stuff that civilians would have access to would also improve.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Speaking of Sol disasters, maybe the option to start with an Aeather Rift in Sol could be funny (and maybe even useful for testing purposes).
No idea how terribly unbalanced that would be though.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 07:44:42 PM »

Hearing that we'll be able to see police strength now is great, thanks!

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
Speaking of Sol disasters, maybe the option to start with an Aeather Rift in Sol could be funny (and maybe even useful for testing purposes).
No idea how terribly unbalanced that would be though.
Some people would no doubt consider it a challenge.

On a similar topic, a variant on 'Earth falls into the Sun' comes to mind:
Instead of being tied to a specific body, have it affect whichever (remaining) body is closest to the Sun.  IE it starts with Mercury and works its way out.  On the one hand the player gets a little more time before Earth goes bye-bye, but on the other hand Mars isn't much of a refuge because it is next on the list.  The asteroid belt will take a while to clear before Jupiter starts the plunge, but its moons aren't very habitable to start with.  No matter how you cut it, the objective is to escape Sol.

If that still isn't enough of a challenge then have it affect every body in Sol simultaneously.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »
If that still isn't enough of a challenge then have it affect every body in Sol simultaneously.

This gave me an idea - the sun starts transitioning into a red giant.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
I've changed the greenhouse gas mechanics post, so that greenhouse and anti-greenhouse are independent and dust is now treated as an anti-greenhouse gas.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11593.msg136866#msg136866

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Landris

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »
I've changed the greenhouse gas mechanics post, so that greenhouse and anti-greenhouse are independent and dust is now treated as an anti-greenhouse gas.

Question, does this mean we can now terraform dust out of the atmosphere...asking for a friend with some glassed planets?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

At the end of the "note" section you call dust a greenhouse gas, I think to avoid confusion you should say anti-greenhouse gas there even if it is obvious from the equations.