Author Topic: Combat QOL Improvements  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Icekiller (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • I
Combat QOL Improvements
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:08:33 AM »
In VB6 Aurora, in order for your AMM FC's to work, and your AMM BFC's, all you had to do was set them to 1 missile per at x range.    With BFC's you would do similar, most of the time for me it was just final defensive fire.    Now in C# you have to go to each FC and individually tell them to open fire.    Every.    Single.    Time.    And you can't just set them to open fire and leave them, as that causes a 5 second interrupt.   

In addition to this, AMM FC's don't seem to work properly right now anyway.    When I set my FC's to 1 missile per, it seems to think that every ship in the fleet has to fire 1 missile per incoming missile.    So my ships are wasting hundreds of missiles against incoming that already have AMM's allocated to them.   EDIT: I've just been informed that this part might be a possible bug in my game, as Iceranger has done a test and doesn't have that issue.   

Really I'm just suggesting we go back to the way that VB6 did it.    It's objectively a far superior system.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:56:52 AM by Icekiller »

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, Iceranger

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
Re: Combat QOL Improvements
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
Related to this:

• After assigning AMM PD modes to an MFC, there is no way to remove it (other than copying FC assignments from another ship of the same class) since the 'none' option is BFC only. In my tests, the MFCs always prioritize targeting incoming AMMs before shooting at the targets assigned to them. So the mis-assigned MFCs could become unusable if they are intended for ASMs.
  • There is no way to easily swap missiles for the launchers. In VB6 you can choose another missile type and assign it to all launchers (or multiple selected launchers) by clicking a button. Now you have to manually drag it to each and every launcher on the ship. This also happens when the auto-assignment does not understand your ship design and assigns the wrong missiles to the launchers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:16:23 PM by Iceranger »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
Related to this:

• There is no way to easily swap missiles for the launchers. In VB6 you can choose another missile type and assign it to all launchers (or multiple selected launchers) by clicking a button. Now you have to manually drag it to each and every launcher on the ship. This also happens when the auto-assignment does not understand your ship design and assigns the wrong missiles to the launchers.

Just use the 'Assign All' checkbox when dragging missiles.

The following users thanked this post: Icekiller, Noble713, DIT_grue, Iceranger

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Related to this:

• After assigning AMM PD modes to an MFC, there is no way to remove it (other than copying FC assignments from another ship of the same class) since the 'none' option is BFC only. In my tests, the MFCs always prioritize targeting incoming AMMs before shooting at the targets assigned to them. So the mis-assigned MFCs could become unusable if they are intended for ASMs.

That is a bug, which I have now fixed.

The following users thanked this post: Icekiller, DIT_grue, Iceranger

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
In VB6 Aurora, in order for your AMM FC's to work, and your AMM BFC's, all you had to do was set them to 1 missile per at x range.    With BFC's you would do similar, most of the time for me it was just final defensive fire.    Now in C# you have to go to each FC and individually tell them to open fire.    Every.    Single.    Time.    And you can't just set them to open fire and leave them, as that causes a 5 second interrupt.   

In addition to this, AMM FC's don't seem to work properly right now anyway.    When I set my FC's to 1 missile per, it seems to think that every ship in the fleet has to fire 1 missile per incoming missile.    So my ships are wasting hundreds of missiles against incoming that already have AMM's allocated to them.   EDIT: I've just been informed that this part might be a possible bug in my game, as Iceranger has done a test and doesn't have that issue.   

Really I'm just suggesting we go back to the way that VB6 did it.    It's objectively a far superior system.

I've changed it so that MFCs with point defence set will engage without being told to specifically open fire. I made the change from VB6 so that AMMs would not fire unless they definitely intended it. I hadn't really thought through the potential micromanagement involved.

The following users thanked this post: Icekiller, DIT_grue, Iceranger, StarshipCactus

Offline Icekiller (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 02:04:58 PM »
1. 12 is going to be a banger.  Thanks Steve!