Author Topic: Forumula for sensor detection  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Migi (OP)

• Captain
Forumula for sensor detection
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
Hi

I know the formula for the max range of a sensor from the relevant post by Steve
hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg102701#msg102701

Sensor Range = SQRT((Racial Sensor Strength * HS * Racial EM Sensitivity * (Resolution ^ (1/1. 5)) / PI) * 1,000,000 km

Does anyone know what the formula is for detecting a smaller object within that envelope?
I've tried to reverse engineer a formula from the values provided but all I've got for my troubles is a headache.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:27:02 AM by Migi »

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Forumula for sensor detection
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:12 AM »
Hmm. There is something odd about that formula. To me it looks like there are four left-side parentheses, but only three right-side parantheses, so I'm not surprised it would be difficult to work with.

Edit: The last parenthesis has to be placed before you multiply by 1.000.000, so it should look like this:

Sensor Range = SQRT((Racial Sensor Strength * HS * Racial EM Sensitivity * (Resolution ^ (1/1. 5)) / PI)) * 1,000,000 km

I don't know if that helps.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:02:50 AM by smoelf »

Offline Migi (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »
Thanks but it's not the brackets which are giving me trouble, it's trying to work out the range at which a ship is detected if it is smaller than the max resolution of the sensor (eg a 4000T ship by a sensor with 5000T resolution).
This should be a separate formula (or rather an amended version of this formula).

I've tried guessing and the closest I got was this formula:
Range vs Object = Max Range * ( Object size / Sensor resolution ) ^ 2

However based on the table Steve provided it doesn't match exactly, it also doesn't match the values you get from Aurora itself if you put them into the research project, in fact the maximum range formula doesn't seem to give quite the right answer.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »
Ah, right. Of course. I forgot there's a different formula.

Though it does seem to me, that you have the correct formula there according to my own test. The only fiddly thing was the size-6 missiles, which I had to consider as 0,33 HS in the Object Size field. Just remember that the resolution and the object size must be in hull sizes, not in tons.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm just going to cut and paste some formulas. . .

=N$19*L22
=(SQRT(Racial_Sensor_Strength*Sensor_Size*Racial_EM_Sensitiviy*(Resolution^(1/1. 5)/PI())*1000000)) MAX RANGE
=IF(Max_Range*(Target_Cross_Section/Resolution)^2>Max_Range,Max_Range,Max_Range*(Target_Cross_Section/Resolution)^2) Max Range for Target based upon the TCS number for the target ship.   (This simply means that if the target is larger than the resolution, the max range is still the max range, it doesn't increase)
Missile TCS is based upon . 05 per MSP (Missile Size Point) unless something has changed.

si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »
Ah, right. Of course. I forgot there's a different formula.

Though it does seem to me, that you have the correct formula there according to my own test. The only fiddly thing was the size-6 missiles, which I had to consider as 0,33 HS in the Object Size field. Just remember that the resolution and the object size must be in hull sizes, not in tons.

I know everyone says Missile MSP is 2.5 tons per MSP, but MCR only ever worked out in 7.1 if its 2.75 tons/MSP, so the size 6 / MCR would be 16.5 tons, which is 0.33 HS as you note.  I haven't checked in c# yet, but I suspect its the same.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »
I know everyone says Missile MSP is 2.5 tons per MSP, but MCR only ever worked out in 7.1 if its 2.75 tons/MSP, so the size 6 / MCR would be 16.5 tons, which is 0.33 HS as you note.  I haven't checked in c# yet, but I suspect its the same.

Nice. Thanks. Somehow I assumed that MSP equalled tons, so that's why I was a bit stumped.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 01:55:52 PM »
I made a small excell tool to do some testing of the new sensor mechanics a while back... it should provide you with all what you need to figure it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wq4hn1smxj9tsi/SensorCalculator.xlsx?dl=0

The following users thanked this post: Aoi, smoelf, Pedroig

Offline Migi (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:01:27 PM »
I've found some differences between the max sensor range given by tech design window and Steve's table.
When things are a bit quieter I'll raise it as a bug but it seems like a can of worms to be avoided right now.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 06:45:54 AM »
I've found some differences between the max sensor range given by tech design window and Steve's table.
When things are a bit quieter I'll raise it as a bug but it seems like a can of worms to be avoided right now.

It is only some rounding issues. When he generated the table he might have used say an excel cheet while in game he probably use a more accurate way to store values so get more accurate end result.

You can for example see this if you download my excel sheet.. I use the proper formula to calculate the sensors but I also get a slightly different numbers at the end because Excell rounds differently than in Steves table and also as it does in the game too... so there are now three different variations using the same formula.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:56:14 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »
Appreciate the share of the sheet.  Been assembling a book of spreadsheets in order to plan better for the spreadsheet game...   ;)

si vis pacem, para bellum