Author Topic: How do I fire a drone at a planet?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Silverkeeper (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
How do I fire a drone at a planet?
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »
Neutral aliens are sitting pretty on a planet. I don`t  think its their homeworld but i want to fire a drone.

Komodo class Minelayer      12 000 tons       349 Crew       1 600.8 BP       TCS 240    TH 360    EM 0
3000 km/s      Armour 4-46       Shields 0-0       HTK 87      Sensors 0/6/0/0      DCR 7      PPV 64
Maint Life 2.04 Years     MSP 983    AFR 165%    IFR 2.3%    1YR 315    5YR 4 718    Max Repair 270 MSP
Magazine 704   
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

Eurojet M-360 Nuclear Pulse Engine (2)    Power 720    Fuel Use 64.45%    Signature 180.0    Explosion 12%
Fuel Capacity 837 000 Litres    Range 19.5 billion km (75 days at full power)

Titan Arms Mine Launcher (2)     Missile Size: 32    Rate of Fire 60
AES Small Missile Fire Control (1)     Range 26.5m km    Resolution 100
M32 Mine (20)    Speed: 0 km/s    End: 6.3m     Range: 3.9m km    WH: 0    Size: 32    TH: 0/0/0
Raven MK1 Drone (2)    Speed: 7 000 km/s    End: 300.5m     Range: 126.2m km    WH: 0    Size: 32    TH: 23/14/7

AES Small Active Search Sensor (1)     GPS 1280     Range 26.5m km    Resolution 100
AES Small Electromagnetic Sensor (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  19.4m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

And also how do i lauch mines?

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: How do I fire a drone at a planet?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »
assign a launcher to a fire control then load the drone into a missile launcher then in movement orders select the planet you want to fire at and give the command "launch ready ordinance" this will launch all ordinance ready and loaded in a missile launcher.

• S
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
No launch. The ships simply moved closer without firing, they should be inside my fc.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
No launch. The ships simply moved closer without firing, they should be inside my fc.

was it loaded and within FC and missile range?

• S
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 10:08:42 AM »
Yes i tried your way, I tried adding a waypoint and went trough the missile and ship design. It should work.

• S
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
Well crap, I don´t have the drones in my magazines, they are back at earth. Thank you for trying to help. :D

• S
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:57:00 AM »
Well it`s still not working. Heres the database, no doubt it`s something obvious.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
Well it`s still not working. Heres the database, no doubt it`s something obvious.

found the issue, you dont have a fire control that has long enough range.

The following users thanked this post: Silverkeeper

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 11:18:38 AM »
You don't need a fire control with enough range if you are only shooting at waypoints.

Create a waypoint at the planet (If you are close the waypoint will lock to the planet). Now target the waypoint with a fire control and open fire. Remember to assign launchers to the fire control and missiles to the launchers.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
You don't need a fire control with enough range if you are only shooting at waypoints.

Create a waypoint at the planet (If you are close the waypoint will lock to the planet). Now target the waypoint with a fire control and open fire. Remember to assign launchers to the fire control and missiles to the launchers.

I bow to the infinite wisdom of our god emperor, haha, welp theres your answer GL with those aliens.

Offline klyoh

• Leading Rate
  • k
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
If I may, from my understanding (and this way I might be corrected if I am missing something):

- Launch ready ordnance is used to deploy engineless payloads, such as buoys or mine platforms.       
    - You assign the launcher to the control and the payload to the launcher in the "Ship Combat" Tab.        I don't think you need to open fire with the control, but I might be mistaken
    - You select your target in the orders tab (the target can be anything and is not limited to waypoints)
    - You hit the "Launch Ready Ordnance" order
    - Your ship moves to the target and deploys the payload once

- Open Fire is used to launch self propelled elements that you want to deploy from afar (missiles or remote deployed buoys for example):
    - You assign the launcher and target to the fire control and the payload to the launcher
    - The target must be either a (hostile?) contact or a waypoint
    - You hit Open Fire for the fire control
    - If you are in range, the ship will automatically fire your payload, though I am unsure whether it does so at your fire control range, your payload range or the shortest of the two (I would expect the third option).  From what Steve wrote previously, I assume that if you are firing at a waypoint it only takes the payload range into account.       
    - You don't need to issue any order (except a movement order if you are out of range), but don't forget to cease fire on your Fire Control or it will continue to shoot as soon as it is ready
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:15:50 PM by klyoh »

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 10:36:28 PM »

found the issue, you dont have a fire control that has long enough range.

So to get to the bottom of things, if you were targeting a WP, it should have worked. So what was the flaw here?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:46:59 PM »
Are the waypoints showing up in the list of potential targets?