Author Topic: Stabilized Jump Points and Tugs  (Read 1023 times)

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Stabilized Jump Points and Tugs
« on: May 05, 2020, 05:52:51 PM »
So, I've discovered a system several jumps from my home system that I think would make an excellent colonization target. However, it will be a logistical challenge to set up the colony due to the extreme range from my home system and the constraints imposed by my existing technology. After some consideration, I believe my most feasible option in the near term would be to use a tug to tow a large orbital habitat to the target system through stabilized jump points. Has anyone tried this? I'd hate to invest heavily into a huge expensive orbital habitat only to discover I can't tow it through the jump point.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Stabilized Jump Points and Tugs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »
You can tug space stations through stabilized jump points, I have been doing so in my current game (admittedly in 1.8). I would expect that a sufficiently sized jump tender would be able to accomplish the same goal, as well.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 06:11:06 PM »
Most excellent.

I haven't built a jump tender yet, at least not a proper one. My jump drive efficiency is still very low and I am running low on resources in my home system, so I am attempting to reuse existing ships as much as possible. My short term goal is to get the space stating me towed to the target system and then build a few small jump capable freighters to ferry materials back to my home system. I am intentionally keeping my home system isolated from stable jump points, but I may stabilize all of the jump points to other systems. This would minimize my reliance on jump freighters and make it somewhat more difficult for an NPR to wander into my home system.

Jump tenders might be better but I suspect my jump efficiency is currently too low to make use of them. They may replace the jump freighters later on.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 06:37:27 PM »
If you stabilize the jump points for the space station, then your freighters won't need to be jump-capable to get to the same location, unless I misunderstand your plan.

Offline liveware (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:00:10 PM »
Ah, but that would violate my home system protective stance that there shall be no no stable jump points that lead into my home system. Therefore either jump freighters or jump tenders are required to transit into my home system, at least for my own purposes this far. I suppose any jump drive equipped NPR could still jump in, however that would require that they first develop jump drives.

My understanding is that a jump point must be stabilized from both sides in order to permit bidirectional transits.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:08:45 PM by liveware »

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »
Yes, that is correct :) . I didn't realize you were going to stabilize them in one direction only, your plan should accomplish what you are looking for.