Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 57550 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
So, suddenly maps. If I were inclined to excited speculation, I might predict that the Colonial Wars have begun ;D

Especially with battle groups, troop transports, and wrecks visible in both systems. I am kind of curious what's going on in Barnard's Star, though, since it's heavily settled by the UK who seemed pretty peaceful last we heard. Maybe it's just some fighting spilling into the system.

Looking forward to future updates!

The wrecks are old precursor wrecks. Salvage ships have been low on the priority list for most powers in the early years, although the UK has built one and other nations have salvage ships under construction or are working on the technology. Several powers now have troop transports and the number of warships is increasing. Begun the Colonial Wars have not :). However, I thought laying out the terrain would be useful as I don't think they are far away.

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Typical Sith behaviour. When you want a Galaxy spanning war Palpatine is nowhere to be found.

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
I'm guessing that Caliphate fleet is going through Commonwealth space, since I don't imagine the US would give them passage.  Kinda surprised the Commonwealth nations would let them through, though I suppose we might learn more with the UK or US update.

Also, sorta interesting the US didn't picket the EV Lacerte-Eta Cassiopeiae jump point.  Guessing it is because of fuel concerns, and or faith in the Commonwealth nations compliance.

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »
Are there are any plans to introduce Swarm, Precursors or Intruders? I recently reread NATO VS Soviet union campaign and was surprised at the amount of losses both powers suffered.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
I'm guessing that Caliphate fleet is going through Commonwealth space, since I don't imagine the US would give them passage.  Kinda surprised the Commonwealth nations would let them through, though I suppose we might learn more with the UK or US update.

Also, sorta interesting the US didn't picket the EV Lacerte-Eta Cassiopeiae jump point.  Guessing it is because of fuel concerns, and or faith in the Commonwealth nations compliance.

So far, apart from Russia, no one has claimed any region of space. In effect there is freedom of navigation throughout known space, similar to the current freedom of navigation on the seas on Earth. There are lots of different nations moving through the primary colony systems of other nations. Sometimes different nations even setup colonies on the same planets. This is true for the Commonwealth nations but also Russia / Manchuria in Tau Ceti, USA / France / Germany in WX Ursae Majoris and now US / Caliphate in Eta Cassiopeiae.

The Caliphate didn't move through US space in this instance because they don't know the route. The only connection they know of is via the Avalon Arm. The UK let them pass because the UK hasn't laid claim to anything beyond planetary surfaces and relations with the Caliphate are fine. It may be in the future if wars begin that nations might start claiming and defending different systems (or that might be why the wars begin :) )

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
Are there are any plans to introduce Swarm, Precursors or Intruders? I recently reread NATO VS Soviet union campaign and was surprised at the amount of losses both powers suffered.

Not at the moment. TN NPRs are now activated though so it's possible someone might encounter one. If not, I might just setup something nasty for the human nations to find :)

Toying with equivalents of the Kafers / Dilgar / Kilrathi / Cylons, etc. :)

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=7890. msg82207#msg82207 date=1445883943
So far, apart from Russia, no one has claimed any region of space.  In effect there is freedom of navigation throughout known space, similar to the current freedom of navigation on the seas on Earth.

Well, that clarifies things.

I certainly hope the USA has not forgotten the lessons it learned 167 years ago in December. . .

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Well, that clarifies things.

I certainly hope the USA has not forgotten the lessons it learned 167 years ago in December. . .

Yes, I probably should make things more clearer in the reports - sometimes hard to remember what I know that the reader doesn't :)

The trick for the US (and everyone else) is to somehow guard their assets from a surprise attack when they are effectively at point blank range from a potential hostile force. It is as if the Japanese fleet was already docked in Pearl Harbour when it decided to attack. The US could move its fleet to Columbia, but they would be out of position to defend the Earth population, or they could orbit a lot further from Earth, but that would have maintenance penalties. This is why everyone is trying to get their vital assets out of Sol so they have a chance to see an attack coming. I've been glossing over this so far in the reports as the tensions haven't been high enough. I will start getting into it soon though.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »
Given the Caliphate uses FACs, including missile FACs, the comparison is kind of striking. It's entirely possible the US' first warning will be when the missiles come screaming in; I wonder if they make a habit of leaving active sensors on. As I recall the US is working on a carrier as well; that would be an interesting game changer. Hopefully it wont be caught at harbor in orbit when the attack comes  ;D

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
G'Day Steve,

With the trade treaty between Canada, Britain and Australia - why not introduce further deals?

For example, Australia is short of Gallicite, and Canada is short of fuel. Why not trade between themselves?
Later,
Matt

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
G'Day Steve,

With the trade treaty between Canada, Britain and Australia - why not introduce further deals?

For example, Australia is short of Gallicite, and Canada is short of fuel. Why not trade between themselves?

Canada also fairly short of Gallicite :) - just not as bad as Australia. In fact, several nations are starting to have a serious Gallicite shortage. I will be looking for other trade opportunities though.

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »
Canada also fairly short of Gallicite :) - just not as bad as Australia. In fact, several nations are starting to have a serious Gallicite shortage. I will be looking for other trade opportunities though.

Ahhh - thanks!

Perhaps those nations with a Gallicite surplus may get some sweet deals on the nations with the most desperate need.....  ;)
Later,
Matt

Offline BwenGun

• Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
I suspect it would be a pain to code, but it would be rather interesting if there was some sort of Galactic Commodities exchange, with factions able to put up portions of their stockpiles for sale (probably from a single designated location for each faction) which when bought would be transported by Civilian operated transports to your own central stockpile.  That way you'd have a way to get out of a mineral shortage and it would simulate the way that nations really do trade with one another and add another element to the roleplaying fun the game provides. 

Plus from there it would, presumably, only be a short step to add the ability to trade things like facilities and ship components.  Meaning you could start to have factions with an excess of old ship parts or missiles selling them off to less advanced neighbours.  Which would be really rather cool.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
Yes, that would be really complicated. 

Much easier would direct trading option.  If you have good enough relations with an empire/race to have a trade treaty you can trade them a mineral.  For player run races this should be a very easy transfer.  The exchange can be roleplayed as a trade, bribe, reparations, or an extortion payoff. Input a quantity in each field and mineral type and hit transfer.

If the formula was tied to your relations score for NPRs it could be simulated as a commodities exchange.  Once you reach the trade treaty threshold you can 'trade' minerals to your friend at a predetermined ratio that seems appropriate. As your relations improve the ratio improves.  The minerals you give disappear and what you get is just created from nothing.  No actual trading happens with the NPR so as to not interfere with the existing minerals balance for NPRs.  Lots of ways to make it more interesting from here without skewing the game balance too much

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2015, 10:40:09 AM »
The minerals you give disappear and what you get is just created from nothing.  No actual trading happens with the NPR so as to not interfere with the existing minerals balance for NPRs.  Lots of ways to make it more interesting from here without skewing the game balance too much

I would actually be much more interested if such a trade option could be used by NPRs to acquire minerals they have in shortage without having to plan 20 years ahead with mining ops...

Also would be neat to see a Civilian market, where each empires current minerals only represent their government/military strategic reserve and the civilian market have their own share.

For example a huge 100% civilian colony on a planet devoid of TN minerals should still have significant amounts of all TN minerals in the civilian market anyways due to trade. ( evident at the very least from how they produce infrastructure "for free" currently ). For me it would be super exiting to see Civilian supply/demand mechanics where certain trade-goods are blooming on planets where the right kind of TN materials are abundantly available, and these planets attract alot of immigrants due to all the available jobs and space. Or where a planet with alot of free space and heat available can produce tradegoods like "food" and trade this with core/industrial worlds.