Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 270618 times)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #930 on: September 11, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »
I dont get ... why the rec facilities, orbital habs and fuel harvesters ?? They weigh smegload of tons, no wonder that ship is so slow/big/hard to manufacture ...

Plus those smegty engine O___o
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #931 on: September 11, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »
Jesus wept that's a lot of fuel, you realis it'll take 150 years to refuel and suck up 200000 sorium in doing so?
I'm all for stupidly big platforms but this takes the cake( the sorium cake).
Edit: wait, these aren't even commercial engines?
Try removing 95% of the fuel and engines and use a tug. It'll be so much better and as a bonus you'll have an awesome tug ( even if you need to put an orbital hab on the tug to construct it)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:55:00 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #932 on: September 11, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
Just had my first real battle with wormholers...

Tensions had been mounting for the better part of a year ever since the first survey ship transited into Sol from an unexpected jump point. The main fleet was off in another system blockading a wormhole, so all that was in Sol were the fighter reserves and some exploration ships with 2000 tons of hangar space. Since they were probably only surveys, I decided 2000 tons worth of fighters should be enough to deal with this "threat", so I packed some fighters into the hangar of one such exploration ship and sent it off. Due to the survey ship being over 3 times faster than my psudo-carrier, I had to predict which survey point the spoiler would head to next and lie in ambush there, but once I got within strike distance the fighters proved sufficient in dispatching the survey.

Two further waves of survey ships as well as a pair of gate builders (?) transited into Sol over the next few months and were intercepted and destroyed in similar fashon. However, each time Fleet command had to dispatch forces that were based on Earth, which is around 5.5 bkm away from the jump point. To shorten response times, it was decided that a forward base of operations would be established on the asteroid 2008 KV42 which was a mere ~250mkm from the jump point.
The plan was to first set up a few hangar PDC's on the asteroid so that fighters could be on station perpetually, and maybe eventually set up some missile defense stations as well. Due to insufficient gravity on that rock, orbital habitats were required to kickstart the project until sufficient underground infrastructure could be produced on site to support the construction workers.

The pre-fabricated sections of the first hangar PDC were shipped to the asteroid and assembly began with the assistance of two orbital habitat units. The three available exploration ships and their fighter complements were on station to defend the works after ferrying over a few fighter wings from the reserves on Earth.

At this stage, I had:
32x 250 ton interceptors equipped with 17%acc gauss cannons, no actives
26x 500 ton heavy fighters equipped with small caliber lasers, actives
2x 500 ton new generation, experimental heavy fighters equipped with microwaves and actives

It would be several years before assembly of the first hangar is completed at the current rate of construction, so further orbital habitats were laid down back at Earth to bolster the workforce.

Then came the spoilers.
Based on the impressions I got from other people, this is only a recon-in-force fleet, but it seemed like it would crush all resistance at first.
1x 59700 ton "Juarez" cruiser?, purpose unknown.
1x 39800 ton "Tritao" destroyer, discovered to be beam combatant with 13x 65-damage lasers.
2x 39800 ton "Zarco" destroyer?, purpose unknown.

At the very least, these guys were 2-3 times the tonnage of my standard carriers and moved at a blistering speed of 9684 km/s, almost as fast as my older generation fighters.

The interceptors went in first to absorb any anti-fighter strikes, but surprisingly no AMM's were launched. In fact, the only ship which retaliated was the Tritao which fired all 13 of its main guns at a single 250 ton interceptor. I wouldn't be too surprised if the laser beams were larger than the fighter they were shot at. Then the rest of my fighter force was upon them, but Fleet Command soon discovered that the strength-70 ECM mounted by the wormholers reduced effective fire down to ~10 points worth of damage every 5 second increment.

This is where the experimental microwave-armed fighter got its place in the spotlight. In the absense of any serious anti-fighter armaments, the microwave fighters were able to chew through the electronics of the wormholer ships while bypassing their monstrous armour. As soon as ECM went down, the rest of the fighters redoubled their attacks and scored some consistent 60 damage per increment from lasers and another 10 or so from the gauss cannons. It still took a while, but soon those juggernauts bled atmosphere and eventually exploded from several internal secondary detonations.

And so my fighter force which totalled just under 15 000 tons defeated the wormholer incursion of 179 100 tons worth of fiery annihilation while taking only 10 casualties among the 250 ton interceptors. All things considered, Fleet Command were quite overcome with this result, however they are wary of further incursions which may feature ships fielding the dreaded AMM spam.

When missile systems are finally installed on the soon-to-be asteroid fort, hopefully there won't be as heavy a reliance on the fighters to absorb hits and repel attacks. Now that this jump point has been identified as a definite threat axis, an early warning ship will be deployed on the other side until sufficient force can be mustered to create and defend an outpost in the adjoining system.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #933 on: September 11, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
Great victory! (I'm going to show this to steve so he gives invaders slightly better AI or ship designs )
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #934 on: September 11, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Haha, thanks.  ;D Perhaps if it hasn't been fixed already, also suggest looking at those overflow errors the spoilers seem to throw everywhere? That really slowed up the battle.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #935 on: September 11, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
Steve has fixed the sensor overflow bug, I'm pretty sure that was the one causing invader errors.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #936 on: September 11, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
Yup, microwaves are incredible. That's why it is one of my two favourite weapons in the game (second being mesons, of course).

That said, it can be countered by having shields (I don't know about absorption ones though). Even a few, along with hardening and spares, could make fights with wormholers not-so-easy.

@AL, nice work, but you're lucky it didn't launch any missiles at you.
That's what happened on my first encounter with them: mixed meson-microwave strike force just got wiped. There was, if I recall, 5 ships still in flying condition left, out of 30. That's 125 000 tons lost to one enemy ship.

@MarkAFK, I'll look into making a BIG TUG for the BIG SHIP.

Anyway, my encounters with wormholers were not so exciting. In Lyuten 726-8 system... about 10 gate-builders who rammed into big ship's shields, and in Gliese 908 4 beam battleships (died to missiles), some missile battleships who... ran away? and more gate-builders.

So, yeah, at this stage Bulwark is just invulnerable. I think I'll keep it as a mobile HQ for my Third Fleet.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #937 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:25 AM »
I, too, have been facing Wormholers.  Meson and microwave fighters do a great job of killing them, however, I don't just want to kill them.  In order to take them as prizes, I need to take out most of their engines without destroying the ships.  Mesons don't seem to do this very well, I believe because the engines have higher HTK, so 1-damage meson spam tends to destroy everything but the engines, and the ships pop before they slow down very much.

Over 30 years I have stolen four generations of engine tech by capturing wounded wormhole ships.  My latest captures include a 40,000T jump-capable laser brawler that, once repaired, will serve as a one-ship Quick Responce Force for my home systems.  At about the same time, I captured a 60,000T missile-launching colossus, the disassembly of which is eagerly awaited by my now-quite-experienced reverse engineering industry.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #938 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
Hey everyone - just a reminder not to slip too far into specific tactics and capabilities of spoiler races outside of the Spoilers section.

Thanks,
John

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #939 on: September 13, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
In the Alpha Centauri system ( i decided to play with real stars for once ) three of my Explorator class survey ships got jumped by some railgun armed hostiles. They damaged Pathfinder by blowing one engine and one fuel storage before they got obliterated by the 15cm Quad turrets on my ships ;).

Code: [Select]
Explorator class Exploration Ship    184 050 tons     1629 Crew     15418.4 BP      TCS 3681  TH 15000  EM 900
4074 km/s     Armour 10-288     Shields 30-300     Sensors 30/55/1/1     Damage Control Rating 10     PPV 73.2
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 36810%    IFR 511.2%    1YR 23313    5YR 349693    Max Repair 384 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 96 months    Spare Berths 0   

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (50)    Power 300    Fuel Use 4.42%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 25 000 000 Litres    Range 553.0 billion km   (1571 days at full power)
Beta R300/180 Shields (20)   Total Fuel Cost  150 Litres per hour  (3 600 per day)

Quad 15cm C5 Near Ultraviolet Laser Turret (4x4)    Range 180 000km     TS: 10000 km/s     Power 24-20     RM 3    ROF 10        6 6 6 4 3 3 2 2 2 1
Fire Control S08 128-16000 H70 (1)    Max Range: 256 000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor S1 (20)     Total Power Output 90    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Small Craft Detection System mk1 (1)     GPS 2100     Range 51.7m km    Resolution 20
Ship Detection System mk1 (1)     GPS 10500     Range 163.3m km    Resolution 50
Anti Missile Sensor mk1 (1)     GPS 105     Range 11.6m km    MCR 1.3m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH5-30 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km
EM Detection Sensor EM5-55 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 55     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

ECCM-1 (1)         ECM 10

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
and the hostiles characteristic :

Thankfully Battlefleet Solar wasn't needed to deal with those frakkers ;)

Lord Captain Castro Karkasy and Rear Admiral Nero Endanor were awarded a Battle Star - medal for destroying an enemy ships during combat ( Nero got 2 )
Centauri also has some unknown wrecks just waiting for salvagers.

Inb4 waste of resources - its a game for fun with 1bn of every mineral on Earth and i can afford it ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:07:09 PM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #940 on: September 13, 2015, 10:38:39 PM »
Hey, if you want to use heavy cruisers with appallingly bad science equipment out for exploration, who am I to stop you?   
I'm sure the vulcans might have something to say about it though.

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #941 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:27 AM »
the only valid strategy against wormholers is to spread tracking stations into all surveyed systems and when they got spotted clear them with fleet
they tend to mass their forces so the longer it takes the bigger problem is

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #942 on: September 14, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
Just drew up the designs for a CIWS for the researches to get going on, and the best company name for pd came up. Lee Advanced Defense Systems, or LADS for short. Now when those pesky aliens start shooting up my survey vessels, the lads will come to their aid. Now I kind of wish to change my empire theme to British/UK.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:24:11 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #943 on: September 14, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
New game, modelled after Steve's earliest apocalyptic campaigns.
Earth will become uninhabitable by 2050 due to the close approach of an until recently hidden brown dwarf. Stellar warming will be on, but switched to cooling after 2050 then left on.
There's 6 factions, PC race is United Nations, default 500 million, 20 labs, 4 SY, 120k RP.
The rest are:
Russia: 200 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY,
China: 1000 mil pop, 120k RP, 15 labs 4 SY,
United States of the Americas: 500 million pop, 120k RP, 20 labs 4 SY,
Hindustani Republic: 900 million pop, 90k RP, 15 labs 3 SY.
Islamic state: 600 million pop, 60k RP, 10 labs, 2 SY.
Truce timer is set to 10 years but I don't expect peace to last long.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #944 on: September 15, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
Second attempt at my Cadian game. ( First one ended when Cadia was glassed by the huge Chaos Invaders fleet. Turns out that ten railgun armed FAC are not going to stop dozens of Chaos vessels .. who knew right ?? )

All spoilers on, conventional 6bn ppl, smegload of minerals, one JP in the system ( Cadian Gate of course ) and little suprise waiting for me deep in the system ;)
And firm intention of purging galaxy from Xenos :)

Aaaaand i got glassed again :|

Time for a new classic Starfire like game :>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:21:25 PM by Lossmar »