Author Topic: v2.0.2 Bugs Thread  (Read 10362 times)

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
Re: v2.0.2 Bugs Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2022, 10:54:49 PM »
On 2.0.2. When creating a new game with Known Stars **deselected** games freeze and does not generate properly the DB.

I'm seeing this a lot too. Even with no starting NPR or spoilers enabled. I messed around with the settings a bit trying to figure out a more specific cause without success. I did manage to get a game with 4 NPRs created after about 10 attempts and another one with 1 player race in Sol took 3 tries. This is with Known Stars off.

I can also confirm that this can happen, but have had similar issues nailing down a set of reproduction steps.
I'll add my voice, I've seen this multiple times too, when "Known Stars" is deselected. Sometimes it generates properly, many times it does not. I have to kill the game from Task Manager, and the database is thereafter corrupted.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2022, 12:09:43 AM »
I didnt return to this because its minor and I didn't want to burden Steve with trivia but yes the small refuel system seems to prevent using a standard refuel system if they are both on the same ship. Which cannot help gameplay and only occurred due to testing in a state of confusion about rules.

why would you put both types of refueling on a ship? the big one refuels all ships and the small one just fighters. there is no need to have both on a single platform

Not everyone knows how the refueling systems work, especially the first time they play. People experiment by building ships and seeing if they work, and often that gets confusing. It is especially problematic to figure out why the refueling orders don’t show up, since there is even less information to go on in that case. Note for example that every so often someone asks if putting two refueling systems on the same craft lets them refuel two ships at a time. Sadly, it does not, so I say that there should be a design warning in that case.

Personally I recommend changing the name to “Small-craft refueling system”, to emphasize that it is _for refueling small craft_ rather than just that it _is small_.

Currently if you put one on a ship larger than 1000t you get this design warning: “Small Craft Refuelling System can only be used on ships of 1000 tons or less”. Since that includes only part of the information, I recommend extending it to say “Small-Craft Refueling System can only be used by small ships of 1000 tons or less to refuel small ships of 1000 tons or less.” (Note also the typo.)

There also should be a design warning if you select the Tanker checkbox but forget to put a refueling system; that’s also a common error. I’m sure it’s been suggested before too. Same with cargo ships that don’t have cargo shuttles, a warning there would go a long way to preventing that very common error. But I am starting to get off–topic.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2022, 01:08:25 AM »
(Note also the typo.)

Oh wait, I just noticed that “refuelling” is the common spelling in the UK. TIL

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
Minor UI issue, could be a bug, could be WAI, might have been overlooked.  If you select a fleet in the Naval Organization window, then select a ship in another fleet, and then click on the Fleet tab, it will show the fleet information of the original fleet you first selected, and not the fleet of the new ship you selected.  Based on behavior, I believe the Fleet tab is only being updated when you actually select a new fleet.  If not intended then you may want to consider it, imo it would make sense to update the fleet tab to show the information of whatever fleet the current ship belongs to.

I've spent a few hours playing with this. At first I just changed the fleet selection when you changed the ship, but that ended up causing all sorts of other issues because the code relies on the fleet changing when you click a fleet, not as a side-effect of selecting a ship. I won't go into detail except to say I spent so long trying to fix resultant bugs, I just undid the changes :)   I also tried hiding the fleet tabs when you selected the ship and vice versa, but that caused its own problems. In the end, I decided we've got this far without this being a major issue, so I am going to live with it until I have the time to re-architect this properly.

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2022, 09:19:06 AM »
Not sure if this is something that's known already, but Mercury is listed as tidally locked in 2.0.2

It is not tidally locked IRL in the traditional sense. It is in a 3:2 resonance orbit around the sun. That is, for every three orbits around the sun, it spins twice.

This is important in terms of colony cost, since there isn't a spot where you can permanently hide from the sun on Mercury.

Yes, I am aware of the 3:2 resonance orbit around the sun and I've addressed this a few times. I decided to have 'tide-locked or not' as a general principle, rather than the various possible resonance scenarios, to reduce complexity, to make it easier for players to comprehend and to allow more interesting gameplay.

The following users thanked this post: Inglonias

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2022, 09:19:58 AM »
Quote from: joshuawood link=topic=13028. msg161097#msg161097 date=1660053944
Quote from: joshuawood link=topic=13028. msg161069#msg161069 date=1660014071
There is a rare bug which causes the raiders to spawn troops on your planets (for me it's only been mars)

https://i. imgur. com/7hHWPue. png

In the pic you can see i just detect a population out of no where (if it loads) after a 1020s turn. 

I can detect their ships literally days flight away from sol and in the case of their troop transports (of which i have killed many) i can detect them even further out. 

On top of that i have a fleet of destroyers in orbit of mars and STOs looking for ships. 

As far as i am aware there is no possible way the raiders got a ship in, landed troops and left in their ships in 1020s without me detecting them.

It has Happened multiple more times on Mars : https://i. imgur. com/PXca7zx. png
                                                                     https://cdn. discordapp. com/attachments/402321466839793664/1006535020510453780/unknown. png

Had this happen as well, though given what the Raiders are based off of in 40k I figured they had a webway portal or something, haha.

They have exactly that :)

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
If I set reserve level for a mineral (say sorium 1000) - mass drivers stop working somehow? As a result other minerals are accumulated as well, even if their reserve level is 0.

(I have enough mass driver capacity to cover mineral production)

This may be the same reserve level issue seen in 1.13.  If you set a reserve level it seems to act as a divider on how much the mass driver can send per turn, instead of just being a floor level for how much minerals it won't touch.  Instead of subtracting the reserve level from on-hand quantities and then flinging what is left over it appears to total up the minerals on hand, subtract the reserve levels, and use the ratio between that result and the total m inerals on hand as a multiplier for how much it launches.  So minerals on hand will never be drawn down to the reserve level - the amount sent will decrease to near zero as you approach it. 

As an example - I have several comet and asteroid mines target Mars with their packets and then set reserves for Duranium, Neutronium, Mercassium, and Vendarite to ensure I have minerals for construction factory, research facility, and ground force production.  It has 10 mass drivers targeting Luna to send whatever it doesn't need there.  This should give it 50K/year capacity, or roughly 700 per 5 day production tick. It has around 12K of minerals stockpiled over reserve levels, so it has plenty to send.  But it is only sending 515/tick, not 700.  But if I reduce my reserve levels from 7K to 3K  it sends 585t packets, and eliminating reserve levels results in 695t packets.   

SJW: Fixed for v2.1
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:13:16 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2022, 10:39:21 AM »
Beam fire controls that are set to open fire and are then destroyed in combat do not cease their firing, resulting in forced 5-second intervals until damage controls repairs the fire control or you scuttle the damaged ship. The button on the miscellaneous tab of the tactical menu to cease fire all ships does not cease fire of destroyed fire controls.

I would assume this applies to missile fire controls also, though I haven't tested them explicitly.

SJW: Cannot reproduce. Can you provide more detail on the incident? Was only one fire control affected for example, or how it was damaged?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:37:26 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Icekiller

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »
Changing a planets eccentricity does not save it. If you close the game and reopen it, the planet will revert back to it's original eccentricity.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:13:37 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Tuna-Fish

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
This is important in terms of colony cost, since there isn't a spot where you can permanently hide from the sun on Mercury.

Bit OT, but this is very wrong. While it's not tidally locked, it does have an extremely low axial tilt, and large craters on it's poles. Inside those craters, is eternal darkness, and based on MESSENGER data, probably more water than on Mars.

If we could get there easily, it would be the best colonization target in the solar system. Extremely plentiful cheap energy (Need heat? Raise a mirror over the crater rim. Need light? Raise a diffuse reflector. Need power? raise solar panels.), and all materials needed for colonization, including all the volatiles.

The following users thanked this post: Black

Offline Harold65

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2022, 08:53:46 PM »
OK how about this one.

I salvaged a rift raider wreck.

I got 4x 'Magnetic Mirror Fusion Reactor R4' unloaded to Earth.

I then tried to design a ship requiring exactly this and 'Use Alien Tech' via the miscellaneous checkbox for the design.

Refreshed as nothing showed up, whereupon the components list shrank and no power plants at all were visible (there is an R3 version already researched for the player race which is visible when the alien checkbox is not checked).

'2.0.2 Function #2524: The given key was not present in the dictionary.'

See screenshot Alien dictionary 01.jpg.

I also received this error. Doing same as OP did.  Checked "Use Alien Tech", clicked "Refresh Tech" and got the same error

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:53:49 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2022, 12:28:03 AM »
Refreshed as nothing showed up, whereupon the components list shrank and no power plants at all were visible

'2.0.2 Function #2524: The given key was not present in the dictionary.'

I also received this error. Doing same as OP did.  Checked "Use Alien Tech", clicked "Refresh Tech" and got the same error

Me too. I got some CIWS components from some ruins, and now my component list stops at Cargo Shuttle Bay, right before the CIWS category. I’m more interested in using the Gravitational Survey Sensors I got than the CIWS, but that’s not really important.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:53:57 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2022, 01:07:14 AM »
Beam fire controls that are set to open fire and are then destroyed in combat do not cease their firing, resulting in forced 5-second intervals until damage controls repairs the fire control or you scuttle the damaged ship. The button on the miscellaneous tab of the tactical menu to cease fire all ships does not cease fire of destroyed fire controls.

I would assume this applies to missile fire controls also, though I haven't tested them explicitly.
Are you sure you've moved to 2.0.2 correctly? This bug was supposedly fixed already.

Offline ydirbut

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2022, 07:42:04 AM »
The function number: #1170 and #1550 at startup, followed by #3056 at the main screen when I zoom in or out (sometimes, not always). Occasionally the 3056 is followed by a #1618.

The complete error text:

1170: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

1550/3056: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

1618: Collection was modified, enumeration operation may not execute.

The window affected: Main screen

What you were doing at the time
Happens as soon as I start my game. Also, the game seems to have reverted to an earlier save- I played out to 2027 or 2028 but now it is back to 2025.

Conventional or TN start
Conventional

Random or Real Stars
Random

Is your decimal separator a comma?

Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?
happens every time you start the game.

I was able to load the previous DB backup and it seems to work fine.

SJW: In this instance, the problem was caused by system bodies in the database without a parent system, but I can't find a way to reproduce that situation
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:55:09 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2022, 08:39:43 AM »

Are you sure you've moved to 2.0.2 correctly? This bug was supposedly fixed already.

Yes, I am sure.