Author Topic: Seven (out of a million) things I love about C# Aurora  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Second Foundationer (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Last night, this player with some VB6 experience told JS Bach to meander in the background (to each his own), opened C# Aurora, advanced time for a while and felt a moment of relaxed joy – or soon, when underestimated numbers of spoiler missiles were chasing my grand Home Fleet along a bruised retreat: happy excitement – and respite from other madness. For that, here's a little thank you thread.

In case you want to add your own: Comparisons welcome, but no VB6 experience required, simply post what you like about Aurora 4x in its C# incarnation.

I love about C# Aurora:
1. It's fast. Even on my museum piece of a computer. It only slows down for NPRs doing stuff, but that's fine. Unless I switch them off altogether for an explorer/builder/purist "excel solitaire" universe or, hopefully soon, some undisturbed "multiple personality poker" action, I want them to do stuff.

2. I mean: it's fast. It's only my third play (as opposed to test/just look around and try things out) universe, and the first that may be going anywhere interesting, and I knew already in the setup that I wanted to throttle research speed (just a little, for now). The option to do that is another thing I love. (OK, counting to seven was never one of my strong points.)

3. The new maintenance rules, especially the limit by tonnage. It forces you to plan more deliberately what to build when and where to station it.

4. The new command & control options. The way I usually play Aurora, I try to give some attention and care to my commanders, and now they have more interesting careers.

5. The ground unit system (I can't say very much about ground combat yet.) I wasn't actually too excited about this beforehand. But it adds another whole possible dimension of adding flavour to a universe and (if the combat system works well) strategy.

6. (This may surprise some) The interface. It still has its little quirks and glitches. And I see lots of room for improvement in almost any ui. But there is quite a lot of information and interactions Aurora has to organize in its interface. Essentially, it does that job. Something which I cannot say about some commercial programs that are produced by dozens or hundreds of people who are paid for what they do full-time. (I still have some trouble adapting to that dark blue/white scheme, but there shall hopefully be an option for that eventually. It goes well with Bach before oblivion, though.)

7. What I have always loved about Aurora 4x from the moment I had discovered it exists. It's a canvas to paint my own pictures on with a palette to my taste. C# Aurora made that a lot easier, and with new possibilities.

The following users thanked this post: davidb86, smoelf, skoormit

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Seven (out of a million) things I love about C# Aurora
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:43:18 AM »
Yes to all of this (including Bach).

8. Planetary terrain is a simple, but highly flavorful addition to the game. Now my financial colony can be placed in a sub-tropical paradise, while my mining colony is on a tundra. It allows me to 'see' the colony beyond the numbers.

9. Terraforming changes which enabled number 8 to happen. Terraforming is truly a generation-spanning endeavour now, where you can see the impact beyond reduced colony cost.

10. System generation. I don't have to spam the 'create system' button an inifinite number of times to get something remotely close to what I need to found my alien empire. It does require some temperance to avoid amassing asteroids and make extra-solar exploration redundant, but it does enable me to start in a system that is close to Sol in terms of resources, while containing the required features to make this alien empire possible.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »
I'd second 6. It's been a very pleasant surprise about how many quality of life improvements there are in C#. Prototypes is the obvious one that saves so much pain and heartbreak. When you think back to all of those times your newly researched engine/jump drive/turret etc didn't fit into the ship you'd designed it for...
But almost all of the interfaces feel a little easier to use now. Even dragging and dropping ships and sub fleets in the orders window is a big upgrade.

Offline Second Foundationer (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:23:46 AM »
Prototypes is the obvious one that saves so much pain and heartbreak.
This, so much. Until updates have really settled down, I'm not too meticulous about designs. But it will save so much braingrinding and facepalming.

10. System generation. I don't have to spam the 'create system' button an inifinite number of times to get something remotely close to what I need to found my alien empire.

And this, up to the limits of imagination. Just hadn't thought of it because I haven't done it in C# yet. So make that list "seven point twenty things".

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
A tiny thing that I've grown to love is the prefix and suffix system for ship names.  I've always loved the huge number of ship name lists, and this just gives it more versatility.  For example I made a "Pride" class of freighters, and set the prefix to "Pride of" and set the name list to Cities.  And a "Discovery" class of geosurvey vessels, with the suffix "Discovery" and the Minerals name list.

Not my favourite change of course, but one of those little things that I've really grown to appreciate.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, Dark Dagger, Gabrote42

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
I personally think the new ground combat system is a huge improvement. Adds an incredible amount of depth to an already deep game.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...