Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 69925 times)

Offline Vicarrah

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Just call me Vic
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Quote from: Vicarrah link=topic=3348. msg34920#msg34920 date=1305229105
Total newb here, want to play this, but can't even get through the tutorial.   when I try to design the first sensor package, size 2, resolution 100(2HS), it crashes with a 381 error, invalid property array index. 

I'm on a 64bit vista, have checked the msstdfmt.  dll and it seems fine, so I don't think that's the problem. 

just got this working, the crash only happens when you type the sensor size into the size dropdown, not select it from the list, this is why it gives an invalid array index, coz I didn't actually select an index.

if the user is given the option of typing directly into a dropdown or edit box, the application should honour that, and not crash, sorry to be a programmer-snob, but that's basic input sanitising 101.
Just call me Vic, everyone else does.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
just got this working, the crash only happens when you type the sensor size into the size dropdown, not select it from the list, this is why it gives an invalid array index, coz I didn't actually select an index.

if the user is given the option of typing directly into a dropdown or edit box, the application should honour that, and not crash, sorry to be a programmer-snob, but that's basic input sanitising 101.

I 'think' that is an undocumented feature of the language that Steve uses :(

Offline Vicarrah

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Just call me Vic
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
technically, it doesn't matter what language he uses, there are ways to check which input method is used in every language. . . .  as far as I'm aware.  btw, what does he use?
Just call me Vic, everyone else does.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
I normally type in the size sensor that I want.  The trick is you then need to hit an arrow key up or down to get it to change from what it was previously.  Otherwise it just works with the whatever you had scrolled to previously, or the default if nothing else.  It has not crashed my machine in the past and this was with both a vista 64 bit and xp 32 bit systems.

Brian

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2011, 07:57:01 AM »
technically, it doesn't matter what language he uses, there are ways to check which input method is used in every language. . . .  as far as I'm aware.  btw, what does he use?

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2187.0.html
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline stamasd

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
Here's another bug. Research should have finished on Feb 21st, 2032; current date is Feb 23rd, 3032 and it's still going.

(edit) I advanced the time by a day at a time, the research wasn't completed until Feb 29th.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:08:19 PM by stamasd »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Here's another bug. Research should have finished on Feb 21st, 2032; current date is Feb 23rd, 3032 and it's still going.

(edit) I advanced the time by a day at a time, the research wasn't completed until Feb 29th.
This is a known problem.  The date completed is an estimate and can be off by one 5 day build cycle.  In most cases the difference is a small amount that got lost in rounding.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2011, 03:56:17 AM »
This is a known problem.  The date completed is an estimate and can be off by one 5 day build cycle.  In most cases the difference is a small amount that got lost in rounding.

Brian

This is not actually a bug at all.  If you advance time by less than a construction cycle (default length 5 days*) then no construction/production/mining/research/etc. takes place, and therefore the estimated time of completion is pushed back by the same amount.

If this is sufficiently annoying to you, reduce the construction cycle time to one day (86,400 seconds**) and the problem will largely disappear - though keep in mind an estimated completion date of 'September 7' could mean twelve minutes after midnight, or 23:50:15.

*Actually a few minutes less five full days.

**A day is actually 86,400 seconds, but choosing an amount a few shorter is recommended.

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
First, my compliments on a wonderful game design. It gets even better with every patch.

I've encountered a rather specialized bug, and couldn't find any earlier mention of it when searching the thread:

I discovered a neutral NPR, built up relations to get a trade treaty, then sent in a Freighter and dropped off an Espionage Team on their home world. Eventually, the Espionage Team reported back with the location of a new star system, known to the NPRs but not to me. The new star system had a jump-link to the NPR's home system, and four other unexplored jump-links.

However... when I opened the Galaxy Map, I immediately got an error message:

ERROR: WP Link not found in GetWarpPointData

... and when I closed that error box, two more error messages popped up one after the other, both reading the same:

Error in Display WP
Error 5 was generated by Aurora
Invalid procedure call or argument

This sequence of three error messages repeats every time I open the Galaxy Map, every time I (shift-drag) adjust the display position of a star system, or scroll or zoom the Galaxy Map... basically, anything that forces a re-write of that map screen will set off the three error messages again.

It was starting to get a bit annoying, so I tried to correct the problem by using SM mode to create a new scout-ship, teleport it into the new star system, and explore all the jump-point connections until I had linked up this new star system with my existing map. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem... the error messages continue every time I open or adjust the Galaxy Map.

The game doesn't crash, however... in fact, I find this game to be surprisingly robust at handling error states.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
First, my compliments on a wonderful game design. It gets even better with every patch.

I've encountered a rather specialized bug, and couldn't find any earlier mention of it when searching the thread:

I discovered a neutral NPR, built up relations to get a trade treaty, then sent in a Freighter and dropped off an Espionage Team on their home world. Eventually, the Espionage Team reported back with the location of a new star system, known to the NPRs but not to me. The new star system had a jump-link to the NPR's home system, and four other unexplored jump-links.

However... when I opened the Galaxy Map, I immediately got an error message:

ERROR: WP Link not found in GetWarpPointData

... and when I closed that error box, two more error messages popped up one after the other, both reading the same:

Error in Display WP
Error 5 was generated by Aurora
Invalid procedure call or argument

This sequence of three error messages repeats every time I open the Galaxy Map, every time I (shift-drag) adjust the display position of a star system, or scroll or zoom the Galaxy Map... basically, anything that forces a re-write of that map screen will set off the three error messages again.

It was starting to get a bit annoying, so I tried to correct the problem by using SM mode to create a new scout-ship, teleport it into the new star system, and explore all the jump-point connections until I had linked up this new star system with my existing map. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem... the error messages continue every time I open or adjust the Galaxy Map.

The game doesn't crash, however... in fact, I find this game to be surprisingly robust at handling error states.

This is a known issue http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2826.msg28510.html#msg28510

But it may have slipped Steve's attention, so reposting is a good idea.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline iche_bins

• Leading Rate
  • i
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Right now I'm fighting some orbital habitats I think, and when ever I hit them, and apperantly causing internal damage I an an Error in ApplyInternalDamage
Error 6
Overflow

Here is the file if you want to take a look:

hxxp: www. filedropper. com/stevefire

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
I've an error 6 overflow when opening the system map.   

it's caused by the zoom being far out and the position being far north.   probably caused by a comet or something far out the system. 

is there a way to reset the system view to a planet or something?

edit: the 'min zoom' button did the trick
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:58:40 PM by LoSboccacc »

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
I think I'm on 5.20 but I'm sure you can still do this in later versions.  You can use a negative number of research labs for your research job, and it increases the number of available labs by the negative number - so if I start a job with -20 labs, I now have an extra 20 labs.  The time to completion is marked as N/A, and I didn't check to see what happened when time advanced.  I was doing it as an experiment.

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »
Here's one Steve

Had an abandoned city on a planet - 1 engineer brigade - 1 garrison battalion and 1 Mobile infantry battalion
I had found an automated mine and a fuel refinery and had dropped a mass driver on the planet and about 0.6m colonists.
The former owners (Precursors) still had a ship in the system which came a dropped a marine battalion on my colony.
After several rounds of losses to me and them they got really mauled in one round and surrendered:
The colony the suddenly became a vanquished Human colony - as if I'd conquered it - and although my xeno team was still there all my ground forces simply disappeared.
So I now have a conquered colony (20% etc) of my own colonists and have to replace 3 ground units for no reason....

Fortunatelyt i backed the game up 2 months (game time) previously - so will simply go back to that
You need to check the coding in the above situation.

Offline iche_bins

• Leading Rate
  • i
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
Quote from: iche_bins link=topic=3348. msg35121#msg35121 date=1306005927
Right now I'm fighting some orbital habitats I think, and when ever I hit them, and apperantly causing internal damage I an an Error in ApplyInternalDamage
Error 6
Overflow

Here is the file if you want to take a look:

hxxp: www.  filedropper.  com/stevefire

Same error happens while boarding the same ship. . .