Author Topic: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread  (Read 69937 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Official v5.42 Bugs Thread
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Contacts are not saved to the DB at end of an update.

I regularly back up by doing a ctrl-c/ctrl-v on SteveFire.MDB while Aurora is running.  This works great, except that when I restore from a backup noone has any sensor contacts.  In the past I haven't thought of this as a big deal - I just do a couple of 5s increments to get location and speed back in the system, but I just realized that there's a good chance that this will screw up missile engagements.  I suspect that if missiles are in flight and I have to restore from a backup, then they'll lose their target and self-destruct during that first 5s update.

I realize that this is on the edge of not-a-bug, and that an appropriate response is "don't do that", but it's VERY convenient to be able to save while the game is running, rather than exiting, saving, then reopening the game.  And my understanding is that the entire state of the game is supposed to be in the DB while the game is waiting for input.

Which reminds me of another game-state thing: it looks like the RNG is not being save to the DB.  This is a good thing if you want to sidestep a bug (I had a corrupt new system get generated on me a while back, which I fixed by restoring to before generation and re-exploring), but it's nice to know that rolling back to a save will give you the same random numbers.  So if you decide to fix this, I'd like to see a "reset RNG seed' (SM?) button somewhere in order to still be able to do the workaround....

John

Offline Jong

• Leading Rate
  • J
« Reply #316 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
System map continues to display the incorrect speed for player empire contacts.    Something is definitely wrong when i see a mineral packet going at nominally 1332 km/s, and it shows all my ships as moving at 0km/s.   

I ignored the problem since it didn't seem to affect anything concretely.    Ships still moved at what looked like the right speed.    That is, until my current boarding action, which receives 100% casualties about 90% of the time, despite a 10:1 speed advantage over the NPR ships.    This theoretically should make my maximum casualties somewhere between 9d10 and 10d10 % if I understand the mechanics correctly.   

I'm confidant it's not a statistical fluke, as I'm trying to board 83 ships at once.    The current statistics seem to correspond to the worst case 20d10 scenario, which has a 79.   18% chance of rolling at least 100.    There's no difference whether or not I drop while the NPR ships are moving or are holding position.    I haven't tried it while the NPRs are dead in the water.   

I'm not too sure about the link with the 0km/s system map speed, because I can't remember what was the displayed speed during the last boarding engagement, but I think at that time, it was displaying a non-zero but wrong speed, that would have been correct for other ships in the fleet.   

I'm at a loss as to where or how the error first arose.    I'm pretty sure it started early in the campaign, possibly right at the beginning.   

I'll just put up a link to the save file.   

hxxp: dl. dropbox. com/u/9957345/Stevefire. rar

EDIT: I just checked, my civilians in this campaign also display the incorrect speed, but my previous campaigns are fine.  Also I can't seem to make the link show up properly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:43:26 PM by Jong »

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #317 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
As I was processing an increment last night, I got a blue screen and my machine rebooted.   Ugh.   (I don't think it was Aurora's fault, I was doing other stuff as well).   Now, I can load that game, and most things work fine, but I cannot open the economics screen for my player race.   If I use designer mode, I can select a different default race and open economics mode, but if I try to load my race, I get the follow errors:

Error in PopulateGenModSpecies
Error 3159 was generated by DAO. Database
Not a valid bookmark
Please report to hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/viewforum. php?f=11

If I click OK, I get an unlimited string of the following error:

Error in PopulateGenModSpecies
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
Please report to hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/viewforum. php?f=11

I'm guessing something got messed up while saving my race's genetic modifications list (which is odd, as I don't have any).   I've tried opening in the DB in Access directly to see if I could fiddle around the problem, but I guess the designer mode PW isn't the actual DB password.   I'd really like to fix this DB if I can (my latest backup is 3 years before this problem, so I'd probably just wait for 5. 50 to come out instead of restarting 5. 42), since I'm having tons of fun with this current game.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
There seems to be an off-by-one error in the "Rename Ship" button in "Schedule" mode of the "SY Tasks" tab of the F2 screen (that lived in the house that Jack built....)

I click on a ship, click on the "rename" button, and when done a different ship is renamed.

Two smaller issues here:
1)  I have to refresh (by reselecting the empire) in order to see the name change.
2)  The dialog for renaming the ship comes up empty - it would be helpful if it came up with the current name.

[EDIT]  Note that the different ship was associated with a "scrap" task in both cases.  It's possible that the "scrap" tasks are messing up the indexing - I'd just assumed that it was the fact that "schedule" uses a different sort and you were pulling the wrong index out.

John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:43:06 PM by sloanjh »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Synchronous Fire checkbox only applies to a single ship, and is not copied by "Copy Assign" or "Copy Target" buttons.

I've got a fleet of 48 FAC making an attack.  I thought that the Synchronous Fire box was intended to work at the fleet level, but apparently that's not the case (1/2 my FAC launched when ready).  I realize that the mouse-over says "this ship", so this could be interpreted as user error, but I'm putting it in bugs 'cuz not having a way to do this at the fleet level is a pretty major deficiency in my opinion. :)  I would prefer this box apply to the whole system, but would be ok with it being propagated by the "copy target" buttons.

John

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Errorin updategamelog,

Error 3159 was generated by DAO.Field

Invalid Bookmark (or something like that, the message is internationalized for some reason, even if I've set numbers format/language in english)

anyone had this? It happens when you run a turn, whether it's a 5 second increment or a 30 days one.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #321 on: June 19, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Errorin updategamelog,

Error 3159 was generated by DAO.Field

Invalid Bookmark (or something like that, the message is internationalized for some reason, even if I've set numbers format/language in english)

anyone had this? It happens when you run a turn, whether it's a 5 second increment or a 30 days one.

update: running as administrator solved this. there should be a protected file somewhere on the used file list, probably a file related to a game log, considering the error message.

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #322 on: June 19, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
This is a bug I have mentioned before and my post was moved to the Spoilers list but I just had it again so I am putting a new mention of it here.
Defence strength of units attacked by enemy ground unit:
1st Grenadier Brigade Def 5.24  GCB 31%  M 100
 Grenadier Regiment 01 Def 15.99   M- 139  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 02 Def 17.02   M- 148  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 03 Def 16.47   M- 142  GCB 16%
 Grenadier Regiment 04 Def 16.10   M- 140  GCB 15%

Garrison Battalion 018   Def 21   M-100   GCB 5%
Engineer Brigade 02      Def 11.80  M - 118

Ground defence of Anwwn  61.5327

How the hell does it get 61.5327?????

The next round I attacked and it gave me an attack strength of 170.131
My Grenadiers (Assault Infantry)
had the following:
Atk 31.97, 34.04, 32.94 and 32.2 which comes to 131.15 before bonuses so is presumably fairly correct.

Can you please check how the defence total is arrived at as this strange total behaviour happens every time in this situation - you can tell the situation by the presence of the Engineer Brigade.....

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #323 on: June 19, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
I am getting an infinite loop error that is making the game unplayable.

At the time it occurred I had just encountered an NPR race.  Also, in another entirely different system, I had just encountered an uninhabited (I think) planet which seems to have all the TN minerals.

Other than that I have no clue why this could be occurring.

Error reads:

ERROR IN ASSIGNWEAPONS

Error 3049 was generated by DAO.recordset
Cannot open database".  It may not be an application that your database recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
Please report to (forum website address).

Please help.  I would really like to continue this game.

Edit: I'm not sure if deleting the new race in SM will solve the problem.  Please advise.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:11:55 PM by Cavgunner »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #324 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:40 AM »
This is a bug I have mentioned before and my post was moved to the Spoilers list but I just had it again so I am putting a new mention of it here.
Defence strength of units attacked by enemy ground unit:
1st Grenadier Brigade Def 5.24  GCB 31%  M 100
 Grenadier Regiment 01 Def 15.99   M- 139  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 02 Def 17.02   M- 148  GCB 15%
 Grenadier Regiment 03 Def 16.47   M- 142  GCB 16%
 Grenadier Regiment 04 Def 16.10   M- 140  GCB 15%

Garrison Battalion 018   Def 21   M-100   GCB 5%
Engineer Brigade 02      Def 11.80  M - 118

Ground defence of Anwwn  61.5327

How the hell does it get 61.5327?????

The next round I attacked and it gave me an attack strength of 170.131
My Grenadiers (Assault Infantry)
had the following:
Atk 31.97, 34.04, 32.94 and 32.2 which comes to 131.15 before bonuses so is presumably fairly correct.

Can you please check how the defence total is arrived at as this strange total behaviour happens every time in this situation - you can tell the situation by the presence of the Engineer Brigade.....

What's the Colony Cost / gravity component of Colony Cost of the planet?  I recall a suggestion that ground troops should suffer a penalty to strength for fighting in hostile environments / gravities, but I can't remember if it was ever implemented.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2011, 07:26:16 AM »
Synchronous Fire checkbox only applies to a single ship, and is not copied by "Copy Assign" or "Copy Target" buttons.

I've got a fleet of 48 FAC making an attack.  I thought that the Synchronous Fire box was intended to work at the fleet level, but apparently that's not the case (1/2 my FAC launched when ready).  I realize that the mouse-over says "this ship", so this could be interpreted as user error, but I'm putting it in bugs 'cuz not having a way to do this at the fleet level is a pretty major deficiency in my opinion. :)  I would prefer this box apply to the whole system, but would be ok with it being propagated by the "copy target" buttons.

John

John,  you should be able to use the "synchronous fire" check box on the f12 task group screen.  I don't have a loaded game here, but I think it is on the third tab.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
John,  you should be able to use the "synchronous fire" check box on the f12 task group screen.  I don't have a loaded game here, but I think it is on the third tab.

Well lookie there!  It's on the 3rd (History/Officers/Misc) tab....  Thanks!!

That being said, it still seems to me that this should be a button on the combat overview screen.....

John

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #327 on: June 20, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
Any comments on my post a few messages above?  At this point I'm probably just going to try deleting the NPR I encountered and hope for the best, unless someone has a better idea.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
:(

back up the database first, and give it a go i suppose-- anything could help!

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Nope, still getting the same error. Going to have to start a new game.  :(