Author Topic: Minor issue with lists  (Read 1572 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Minor issue with lists
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »
Can we have it so lists stop refreshing to the top every time I interact with them?

If I'm sorting through bodies in the Planetary view and I click one and add a colony the whole thing resets. If I set an order in the fleet window and it is for a location near the bottom, the whole thing resets to the top. If I wanna assign a lot of B-FCS, aggain with every assignment the whole thing goes back to the top.

It's irritating...

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
Re: Minor issue with lists
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
Can we have it so lists stop refreshing to the top every time I interact with them?

If I'm sorting through bodies in the Planetary view and I click one and add a colony the whole thing resets. If I set an order in the fleet window and it is for a location near the bottom, the whole thing resets to the top. If I wanna assign a lot of B-FCS, aggain with every assignment the whole thing goes back to the top.

It's irritating...

I'm betting it's due to how the list refresh code works. But I entirely agree, it would be much better to have them not reset to the top every time.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »

It's irritating...

I'm betting it's due to how the list refresh code works. But I entirely agree, it would be much better to have them not reset to the top every time.

Correct the list works like that for everything. I think should be quite easy to remove the auto refresh and bind it to the manual refresh button (creating one in those tabs which do not have it). In this way you'll have the refresh only when you want it and or when you reopen the window.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 01:17:12 AM »

It's irritating...

Correct the list works like that for everything. I think should be quite easy to remove the auto refresh and bind it to the manual refresh button (creating one in those tabs which do not have it). In this way you'll have the refresh only when you want it and or when you reopen the window.
This is exactly the wrong approach.  The various windows should auto-refresh when something changes.  Most likely Aurora is clearing and then repopulating the lists, which is what is causing the display problems, and probably the focus problems since every control seems to steal focus as it gets updated.  A better way would be to use BindingList and friends with appropriate DataSource objects to fill in the data.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 02:27:18 AM »

It's irritating...

This is exactly the wrong approach.  The various windows should auto-refresh when something changes.  Most likely Aurora is clearing and then repopulating the lists, which is what is causing the display problems, and probably the focus problems since every control seems to steal focus as it gets updated.  A better way would be to use BindingList and friends with appropriate DataSource objects to fill in the data.

I understand your point, but when u have long lists it is a bit annoying to go up and down right now.

It's a bit like not being able to select multiple ships on the naval admin tab.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 03:43:41 AM »
I understand your point, but when u have long lists it is a bit annoying to go up and down right now.

It's a bit like not being able to select multiple ships on the naval admin tab.
Oh, I agree that it is annoying.  I just like to kill more than one bird with the same stone.

I am not looking forward to managing fighter fleets because of that.  The Ship Combat tab is more of the same.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
I am not looking forward to managing fighter fleets because of that.  The Ship Combat tab is more of the same.
For fighters - select the fleet that has them and go to the fleets ship list (not on the naval OOB, the tab of sections that have the movement commands etc.). On that shiplist you actually can shift-click multiple fighters, when they are all highlighted, click either "create sub-fleet" or just "detach" and you have a fleet/sub-fleet containing nothing but your fighters. Now you can effectively handle 100s of fighters without having to drag and drop them one-by-one.
With sub-fleets, combined with the "dock at assigned mothership and join as sub-fleet" this allows you to also name you fighter wings and have that name persevere through docking/undocking.

The ship combat tab absolutely needs shift-clicking in order to select multiple weapons and drag them at once. Especially true for missile ships that have 10s of missile tubes.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage