Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359716 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »
When you have a squadron of dropships dock inside a carrier that way collectively carrying a single ground unit, will that ground unit be able to just stay in said dropship squadron or does the carrier need space for the ground unit?
Ground units in shuttles stay in shuttles after docking so carrier does not need any troop transport capacity.
Probably pretty gamey but cool nonetheless.
Why? Their shuttles have all the needed facilities to house them, they don't just turn that off the moment they enter the hangar.
BasileusMaximos is probably thinking of the VB6 difference between troop transport bay and combat drop bay so you built slow troop transporters that moved the ground units into dropships that handled the actual combat drop but in which the troops suffered morale penalties. This separation no longer exists in C# as all troop transport bays are equally comfortable to the ground pounders.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »
A ship that have drop capable troop transport bays are suppose to include all the assault shuttles necessary to drop troops on to a planet and have all the space for transporting the troops.

Although, fighters (ships of 500t or less) are suppose to be able to drop troops using regular troop transport bays, but I'm not sure if that works or not. Fighters can land on planets but ships can't.

In general other than using fighters for dropping troops there is no point in using hangars and assault ship rather than just fly the assault ships themselves to the planet as commercial designs. Steve said that making such ships military simply would be too expensive given the size and sheer numbers you often need when invading an enemy planet.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2020, 10:44:06 PM »
 - I can confirm that Fighters landing on planets for the purposes of unloading troops does, in fact, work. It seems to be quite fast, too. I also reported a bug long ago that prevented them from unloading fuel, cryo, ammo etc. This has been confirmed to be fixed for the 1.12 version. The Drop Capable Troop Bays, as I understand it, will make a design military. The advantage of Drop Capable Troop Bays will unload much, much faster than a regular Transport Bay with an equivalent mass of Cargo Shuttle Bays. Cargo Shuttle Bays can be used to load / unload troops, useful for Commercial Troop Ferries.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2020, 01:40:14 AM »
Are Gene Mod Centers not fully implemented? I can't find the button anywhere to tell the centers I have to start converting people.

Offline jtgasv

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2020, 04:00:23 AM »
is there any reason aside from cost, for using the highest available armor for ground forces?

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2020, 04:04:38 AM »
Are Gene Mod Centers not fully implemented? I can't find the button anywhere to tell the centers I have to start converting people.

- They re not yet fully implemented.

is there any reason aside from cost, for using the highest available armor for ground forces?

- The highest armor level is the most expensive, but provides the most protection. The "Penetration" value of a weapon needs to match or exceed the "Armor" value of a unit to do damage. If your penetration is lower than the armor value, or vice versa, then you only have a % chance to deal damage. That is my understanding of it anyway.

Offline Kailanlynx

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
I haven't been able to find this in a search on forum nor google, and it isn't in the questions threads I've read through.

Automatic action orders.

In VB6 the default orders had a range limit where the target had to be within 10billion kilometers, and an event warned you if there was no action available within that range.
In C# there is no direct reference to 'within 10b kilometers' when a standing order cannot be completed, but it seems to be functionally the same.

I'm in a system with hundreds of asteroids, and almost all of them are frustratingly between 10. 4 and 14 billion kilometers from each other barring small groups of two or three.
I have a survey ship fast enough and with enough fuel to cover the entire system in a relatively speaking short amount of time, but the standing orders will not do it, and hundreds of individual asteroids scattered where I cannot even go through them in number order is. .  politely not going to happen.

Is there a way to increase the default search range beyond 10b km?

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
I haven't been able to find this in a search on forum nor google, and it isn't in the questions threads I've read through.

Automatic action orders.

In VB6 the default orders had a range limit where the target had to be within 10billion kilometers, and an event warned you if there was no action available within that range.
In C# there is no direct reference to 'within 10b kilometers' when a standing order cannot be completed, but it seems to be functionally the same.

I'm in a system with hundreds of asteroids, and almost all of them are frustratingly between 10. 4 and 14 billion kilometers from each other barring small groups of two or three.
I have a survey ship fast enough and with enough fuel to cover the entire system in a relatively speaking short amount of time, but the standing orders will not do it, and hundreds of individual asteroids scattered where I cannot even go through them in number order is. .  politely not going to happen.

Is there a way to increase the default search range beyond 10b km?

There is no way to change the 10bn km limit, however do note that the limit is from the ship's position, so if you order the ship out to one of them it will keep surveying until it runs out of valid targets. I'd be fairly surprised if the asteroids are so scattered that it can't get most of them.

On the one hand, you could just ignore them, asteroids normally contain fairly small amounts of minerals anyway.

If having an un-surveyed system bothers you, you could use SM mode to delete the system and re-enter the jump point to (hopefully) get a less annoying system.

Or you could use SM mode to survey all the bodies and send a survey ship on a trip approximately around the corners of the system to represent you doing it without the hassle.

Or you could use SM mode to change the orbital distance of the asteroids, or delete the asteroids completely.
I moved a binary star which was like 150bn km away from the primary, with no bodies suitable for L points, I figured 20-30bn was nearly the same thing for most practical purposes except surveying.

The following users thanked this post: Kailanlynx

Offline Kailanlynx

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #458 on: September 20, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Migi link=topic=11545. msg141005#msg141005 date=1600653980

There is no way to change the 10bn km limit, however do note that the limit is from the ship's position, so if you order the ship out to one of them it will keep surveying until it runs out of valid targets.  I'd be fairly surprised if the asteroids are so scattered that it can't get most of them.

On the one hand, you could just ignore them, asteroids normally contain fairly small amounts of minerals anyway.

If having an un-surveyed system bothers you, you could use SM mode to delete the system and re-enter the jump point to (hopefully) get a less annoying system.

Or you could use SM mode to survey all the bodies and send a survey ship on a trip approximately around the corners of the system to represent you doing it without the hassle.

Or you could use SM mode to change the orbital distance of the asteroids, or delete the asteroids completely.
I moved a binary star which was like 150bn km away from the primary, with no bodies suitable for L points, I figured 20-30bn was nearly the same thing for most practical purposes except surveying.

Yep, there's smaller groupings of two or three that autoscout beyond the first, but after having to manually redirect the ship three times and only having eight of the hundreds of asteroids done I called it quits.  Surprised the heck out of me, too, because usually when I find asteroids out this far they're densely packed blobs dropped to one side,  but this system seems to have a full on belt around it instead.  Not sure which is more rare technically, just that in my experience dense blobs are the more common rather than belts (of any density. )

I will admit getting that 100% surveyed status is about the only thing I care for, so SM mode it is.  I knew about it, but thought I'd see what other options there were.  Thank you.

Since you have experience on it, I do have one more question!

If you change a secondary star's distance, do the secondary star's orbitals move with it ? I presume so as they're individually coded to distance from the secondary and not the primary, but I'd like to be sure. 

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #459 on: September 20, 2020, 09:44:36 PM »
Yep, there's smaller groupings of two or three that autoscout beyond the first, but after having to manually redirect the ship three times and only having eight of the hundreds of asteroids done I called it quits.  Surprised the heck out of me, too, because usually when I find asteroids out this far they're densely packed blobs dropped to one side,  but this system seems to have a full on belt around it instead.  Not sure which is more rare technically, just that in my experience dense blobs are the more common rather than belts (of any density. )

I will admit getting that 100% surveyed status is about the only thing I care for, so SM mode it is.  I knew about it, but thought I'd see what other options there were.  Thank you.

Since you have experience on it, I do have one more question!

If you change a secondary star's distance, do the secondary star's orbitals move with it ? I presume so as they're individually coded to distance from the secondary and not the primary, but I'd like to be sure.
That sounds like a very annoying system for anyone with even vague OCD tenancies.
Changing the secondary star moved everything orbiting with it.
(although I do wonder what would have happened if there was an NPR generated on it)
I did accidentally change it into a supergiant at the same time because I didn't notice the default selection on the star type is not the same as the original star type.

Offline Kailanlynx

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #460 on: September 20, 2020, 10:00:29 PM »
Quote from: Migi link=topic=11545.   msg141009#msg141009 date=1600656276
That sounds like a very annoying system for anyone with even vague OCD tenancies.   

Slightly off topic, but.   .    yes.    Diagnosed and all, and I assure you it is a pain in the behind.    People who 'just like things neat' simply don't understand.    It's like being extremely anxious and nervous over what others don't even realise exists and objectively doesn't deserve that response.   

The super giant sounds fun, aha.    Thanks for the heads up.    Also unfortunately for your other idea, the asteroids are all orbiting the main star so that's several hundred manual adjustments.    I'll just sit back with my SM mode and call it even, lol.   

In regards to NPRs I would make a relatively educated guess that it wouldn't do anything negative at all.   
It's clear even in player interactions that ships don't go to the destination's rendezvous location but rather constantly head directly towards it and make adjustments to the new orbited location each tick.   Running out of fuel or otherwise moving it too far away for their units to reach at the time wouldn't have any direct effect either, as there's a catch where any out of fuel NPR ship can always (but only) move towards a valid refueling spot at full speed. 
Further, after thinking about it, ships automatically move every time a body location is updated if they're orbiting.  The only time they don't is if being overhauled by a station, then they get locked in place while the station orbits (presuming that the station is orbiting a body itself, as is required. ) That's actually a bug, too, already reported.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:39:57 PM by Kailanlynx »

Offline Kailanlynx

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
One more question, unrelated to the previous!

Deep Space Tracking Stations.

With the changes to sensors now giving exponential diminishing returns, as more power no longer extends range linearly but rather adds to the radius, it's even more important to have them spread out to cover more ground than it was before. 

In VB6 there was an option to show detection ranges of certain strengths. 
In C# there is none that I can find?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for, VB6 screencap from reddit on the same topic,  by a different person back in the day. 

https://i. imgur. com/Zr8Tchr. png

(Are links okay? Lets see if this gets me blocked, lol. )

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2020, 06:17:02 AM »
One more question, unrelated to the previous!

Deep Space Tracking Stations.

With the changes to sensors now giving exponential diminishing returns, as more power no longer extends range linearly but rather adds to the radius, it's even more important to have them spread out to cover more ground than it was before. 

In VB6 there was an option to show detection ranges of certain strengths. 
In C# there is none that I can find?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for, VB6 screencap from reddit on the same topic,  by a different person back in the day. 

https://i. imgur. com/Zr8Tchr. png

(Are links okay? Lets see if this gets me blocked, lol. )

It does still exist, although not in the same way. I think it's on the Display tab, there are a series of cehckboxes to display sensors for 100, 1000, and maybe a couple of other default settings.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »
Another one.

In the game I'm running I've surveyed/visited ~150 systems now. And I've not come across a single nebula or black hole. I'm running without real star systems checked (though my initial test run with real star systems on went about 75 systems in without either appearing as well). Are they unimplimented in the current version, or have I just been unlucky?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2020, 08:06:06 PM »
Another one.

In the game I'm running I've surveyed/visited ~150 systems now. And I've not come across a single nebula or black hole. I'm running without real star systems checked (though my initial test run with real star systems on went about 75 systems in without either appearing as well). Are they unimplimented in the current version, or have I just been unlucky?

They are not implemented as far as I know