Author Topic: playing arora with a screen reader, (visually impaired)  (Read 2174 times)

Offline hadi (OP)

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
Hello

i've recently tried to give this game a try. . .  i'm really amazed to see that it is mostly text, and maybe i could be able to play it as a blind user.

well first of all, have you ever seen a screenreader user, play this game?

um, the game is very complex, and basicly i have no idea what to do, beside creating a new game.
by the way, the game looks very accessible at the first place,
because first of all you could navigate through items with the tab (tab ordering works) and the menus above the game is readable by my screenreader.
in the diffrent windows, tab ordering works, you could use the aero keys, and most of values are readable.
however, it sounds like that the map/system window is not accessible alot. .  (or is it) and at some other windows, alot of buttons still are unlabled (my screenreader read them as "random graphic button")
since i have no idea how to play this game, i can't add anything else, but they sound very confusing.
. .  um, do you have any ideas?

oh by the way, i'm persian, happy to see persian commander themes and persian empire theme! i was shocked to see those! very nice!

At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: playing arora with a screen reader, (visually impaired)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
I think someone else has been playing Aurora through a screenreader. Can't remember his name though but it should be possible. Of course, the system map is fairly necessary for combat as, while you can use the Combat Overview Window to give targets and fire control rules, it does not help with visualizing the battlefield the way that the system map does.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
I think someone else has been playing Aurora through a screenreader. Can't remember his name though but it should be possible. Of course, the system map is fairly necessary for combat as, while you can use the Combat Overview Window to give targets and fire control rules, it does not help with visualizing the battlefield the way that the system map does.

That user is zkline. Maybe send him a message. The system map has had additions based on the screen reader requirements.

Offline hadi (OP)

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
hello

thanks for the replies! thanks Garfunkel and Erik

well, obviously i should try to contact him.   don't think could figure things out on my own. 
there are huge stuff to learn, +the scree nreader methods/tricks/tips. 

very excited to play this game.   can't wait untill i could expand the persian theme
;D
is there a place to be able to study about this simulator?

thanks~
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:10:10 PM by hadi »
-Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
There is a wiki at http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org but it's not been updated to anything with v6.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
I do not see anything on a system map that is not accessible otherwise, except for waypoints. For instance in regards of fleets - the only thing that really matters is their relative locations, which can be found in contacts tab for hostiles and in the taskgroup orders window for friendlies. It is somewhat cumbersome and ugly, but aurora is ugly and cumbersome even for those who can see :) .

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
As for zklines first entry, link: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2709.0.html

Steve added the coordinate options for him, as far as I can remember, and it's been a long while, that was the only thing he needed the window for.

Offline hadi (OP)

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
hello
thank you guys for replying

@Erik, thanks for the wiki link, that's going to help me alot~

@telegraph well, for now evrithing seems complex for me, since my english is not very well too.
i aimlessly navigate through the diffrent windows and try to see how they work

at some of the windows there are alot of information which even takes like 20 tabs to  navigate all of it's parts
probably i need to be less lazy and read up the wiki and try to figure things up, it's going to work either with navigation keys, or virtual cursor (a method to drive the mous across the window with aero keys), since another screenreader user, "zkline" did that, so it sounds like that is possible.

@UnLimiTeD
thanks for that useful link. . . .  it seems that zkline managed to play this game very well.

also thank you Steve, for putting the coordination thing in the map system view, i believe it's going to help.

-Steve