Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365636 times)

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1020 on: January 06, 2021, 12:03:08 AM »
Cool. Thanks.

Offline DavidFRS

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #1021 on: January 07, 2021, 12:58:22 AM »
Is there any way to scrap "space stations"?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1022 on: January 07, 2021, 01:14:49 AM »
You need a shipyard of that size (and type, i.e. commercial vs military). If you have a station that is too massive for a shipyard, e.g. a million-ton fleet maintenance platform then you're out of luck as far as scrapping goes, but you can set it to self-destruct, recover the crew, and salvage the wreck to get something back.

It may be worth considering if you really need to get rid of a station. If it's a military one that's obsolete, then you should have a yard for it (how else did you build it?). Otherwise, the big commercial stations don't really go obsolete, and they cost nothing to keep around aside from possibly poaching commanders - once you have a FHP or OMP, it doesn't go obsolete as the major modules aboard benefit from technology increases without needing replacement (and a slow refueling or cargo loading module isn't a big deal, though ideally you're using hub modules for this instead which benefit from tech automatically). Worst case would be you set the class commander priority to zero and leave them idle around a worthless rock somewhere if you really, truly can't find a use for them, since they should be useful somewhere later on.

But if you really need the minerals from your million-ton station for something...self-destruct and salvage is the best you've got without a shipyard.

The following users thanked this post: DavidFRS

Offline DavidFRS

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #1023 on: January 07, 2021, 01:43:59 AM »
The issue I've run into is when I need to remove the mining/terraforming SS. I want to build bigger ones so I won't have to move around so many.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1024 on: January 07, 2021, 02:17:56 AM »
What is the difference in resources and equipment recovered between scrapping and salvaging and intact abandoned ship or station? Should it not be very much the same?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1025 on: January 07, 2021, 03:41:32 AM »
What is the difference in resources and equipment recovered between scrapping and salvaging and intact abandoned ship or station? Should it not be very much the same?

I'm not sure on numbers, but scrapping a ship preserves as many TNEs as possible, whereas salvage is basically scraping a hulk for what's left after it went kaboom. Logically, the latter procedure would be rather less productive.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #1026 on: January 07, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »
What exactly do Naval Headquarters do? I could not find when they were added.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1027 on: January 07, 2021, 06:35:15 AM »
They're central to the naval organization in C#, you can only create headquarters at a location with a naval HQ facility. If you stack them, they have more range, if ships are out of their range, they won't get the effects from commanders of their admin commands.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #1028 on: January 07, 2021, 07:18:15 AM »
Thanks man :)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1029 on: January 07, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »
Is total population size or population of a planet with an academy a factor in officer spawn rates?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1030 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
Number of academies only, amount of population has no influence on it afaik.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1031 on: January 07, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
What is the viability/usefulness of of a dedicated ordnance fleet?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1032 on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »

Do you mean a missile combat fleet, or a group of colliers?

For the former you have massive long and short range alpha-strike capability. In the long range context you can pretty much ignore enemy beam weapons. A beam fleet that is slower than a missile fleet is at best an annoying obstacle and at worst completely defenseless.
They are also the best at committing NPR genocide with the usage of radioactive missiles, rendering a planets industry inert for decades.

The latter is an important part of maintaining the logistics of the former, you might not always have missile production at the frontier colonies going, so having a bunch of colliers allows you to get the missiles from the ordnance factory to the ships that will be firing them. Without colliers your missile fleet can run its magazines dry and pretty much be disarmed.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1033 on: January 07, 2021, 09:10:51 PM »

For the former you have massive long and short range alpha-strike capability. In the long range context you can pretty much ignore enemy beam weapons. A beam fleet that is slower than a missile fleet is at best an annoying obstacle and at worst completely defenseless.
They are also the best at committing NPR genocide with the usage of radioactive missiles, rendering a planets industry inert for decades.

The latter is an important part of maintaining the logistics of the former, you might not always have missile production at the frontier colonies going, so having a bunch of colliers allows you to get the missiles from the ordnance factory to the ships that will be firing them. Without colliers your missile fleet can run its magazines dry and pretty much be disarmed.

I mean the latter. And i mean about specifically having all of them in one fleet so i dont loose them and can manually assign them to sectors i want them to service. Good idea?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1034 on: January 07, 2021, 09:14:48 PM »

I mean the latter. And i mean about specifically having all of them in one fleet so i dont loose them and can manually assign them to sectors i want them to service. Good idea?

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with that. Each administrative sector having its own military logistics is how I do it.