Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365540 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1065 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
Mark the system as alien-controlled in the Galactic Map window, then in the fleet movement orders click the checkbox to avoid alien-controlled systems.

Note that with this method ships that are already on transit to that system wont be rerouted

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #1066 on: January 10, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
How do I reset the background and text color for an event to default?

Online Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1067 on: January 10, 2021, 07:57:03 AM »
How do I reset the background and text color for an event to default?

There's no single button for this, but you can select the default colors in the respective dialogs, they are the first and second of the custom colors displayed there.

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #1068 on: January 10, 2021, 08:20:19 AM »
Damn it, switched color scheme from *the mod* only to realise that for those events I changed text color, background color stayed the same as the previous background I was using.

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #1069 on: January 10, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
How do I permanently hide civilians from fleet window? It's cluttered enough and the option to hide them resets every time I reopen the window.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1070 on: January 10, 2021, 08:36:02 AM »
How do I permanently hide civilians from fleet window? It's cluttered enough and the option to hide them resets every time I reopen the window.
This is the type of change that requires an executable change. Check the 1.13 change logs and if it isn't there, go suggest it in the suggestion thread.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1071 on: January 10, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »
Do people find it useful to put passives, CIWS and Commercial Damage Control on regular commercial ships that likely won't operate close to the front? I RP it as a Civic Defense initiative but it'd be nice to hear if its actually practical in some situations.

Online Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1072 on: January 10, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »
Passives? Yes.

CIWS? Maybe if you're facing an opponent that tries to raid you with small amounts of missiles exclusively, which seems an oddly specific scenario. Enough CIWS to defend against an actual missile strike from a missile cruiser or a small flotilla is probably too expensive to justify.

Damage Control? No. You need additional MSP storage to actually make use of self-repair, and with most freighters I can't imagine that it matters if they take 30 minutes or 5 hours to repair a module.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1073 on: January 10, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
Do people find it useful to put passives, CIWS and Commercial Damage Control on regular commercial ships that likely won't operate close to the front? I RP it as a Civic Defense initiative but it'd be nice to hear if its actually practical in some situations.

Passives - yes. I always put at least size 1 EM and thermal sensors on every ship except fighters/FACs that need the tonnage to live. If nothing else it lets you know what just blew up your convoy or harvester station so you have the intel to react accordingly.

CIWS - limited. One or two CIWS modules are not much benefit in terms of keeping a ship alive if it comes under attack in deep space. However CIWS is generally the most tonnage-efficient single-ship point defense you can get if you pursue Gauss tech, so if you have a ship that will operate alone (e.g. survey ship) or a large commercial ship that is highly valuable and you can afford to stick a dozen or two turrets on (e.g. a large fleet maintenance base at a jump point) it can be useful. That said, the tonnage of CIWS needed to actually defend against missile attack long enough to escape is quite heavy, so even on a survey ship it may be less economical than just suffering the occasional losses.

Damage Control - no. Commercial ships don't carry enough MSP to get use from this. It could be useful on a large deep-space station if you stock it with MSPs to repair after a jump point battle, but that's about it.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1074 on: January 10, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
Is there any skill for Scientists or Civilian Administrators that makes them better at running Academy's than their peers or is their research specialization and rank all that matter?

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1075 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:19 PM »
What do you do when the industrial production outgrowth the population? I started outsourcing research to Luna and Mars, while the fuel refineries and ammo factories are on Venus. I might send the fighter factories there as well. The banks are placed on the Jovian moons while mines are wherever they are useful. The problem is that I am still lacking wage slaves.
There are no idle shipyard either that could free more people. 

Online Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2021, 03:49:51 PM »
What do you do when the industrial production outgrowth the population? I started outsourcing research to Luna and Mars, while the fuel refineries and ammo factories are on Venus. I might send the fighter factories there as well. The banks are placed on the Jovian moons while mines are wherever they are useful. The problem is that I am still lacking wage slaves.

It looks like you are being crippled by the lack of population growth. If colonies grow exponentially at the beginning, they tend to stabilize to a few % later. Also one day you may hit the planetary cap, which means there isn't much more you can do.

My advice? It's time to find a "new" Earth and expand there. It will take time but, if you are still playing Aurora, that should be a commodity you sure aren't lacking.  ;)

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1077 on: January 11, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »

It looks like you are being crippled by the lack of population growth. If colonies grow exponentially at the beginning, they tend to stabilize to a few % later. Also one day you may hit the planetary cap, which means there isn't much more you can do.

My advice? It's time to find a "new" Earth and expand there. It will take time but, if you are still playing Aurora, that should be a commodity you sure aren't lacking.  ;)

Maybe putting 25% of my ground construction capabilities into construction factories is not sustainable anymore. I switched away from making mines to automated mines so that the colonies can supply resources and wealth.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1078 on: January 11, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »

Maybe putting 25% of my ground construction capabilities into construction factories is not sustainable anymore. I switched away from making mines to automated mines so that the colonies can supply resources and wealth.
Yup - With a standard start, pop seems to always be one of the 2-3 tight resources for me in early game. You can easily overbuild Const Factories and start the domino effect. It can be a problem with overbuilding (per your pop level) any Installations that requires workers, but for me Const Factories are usually the trigger. More Factories = more workers needed and your other installations are getting built faster, unless you keep a close eye. Which will need even more workers. Moving Installations as you are is a big help.

What I do:
1) Colony creation for eventual pop growth. It's a 'first steps' priority for me to get the three, 2CC colonies up asap. I sacrifice some early Installation builds to make sure I have spare pop for colonies.
2) Watch your spare pop levels. If I ever drop below 10M spare workers on Earth, I assume trouble is coming and start taking steps. If I get to -workers, I waited too long.
3) Mostly I juggle the Industry Orders to keep installation construction throttled when it becomes an issue.
4) Research and Financial are the easiest to move off Earth. I try to move anything that doesn't require micro first. Shipyards, Refineries etc use minerals and will require an additional supply chain if not on Earth.
5) Avoid overbuilding shipyards early. Having a 25k ton military shipyard with 5 slipways is awesome, until you don't need any ships for a year. Those workers are used up but idle. IceRangers Bridging Function has saved me millions of workers by helping me learn and utilize 'sister' classes of ships. Being able to pump out all 6-8 of my DD designs from a single yard saves a few pop.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1079 on: January 11, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
I park all the stuff I do not need on or around Venus to free up workers and ship them back whenever they are required. Fuel supply is for instance secured by harvesting bases. Munitions factories are not needed due to a beam only playthrough. Ground forces training centers are transferred between Earth and Venus whenever they are required or not. This allows me to focus my manpower on useful stuff. But in the end these are stopgaps, not solutions.
The current sink of industrial capacity is orbital miners, automated mines and terraforming bases. They have in common that non of them require any workers. The next big thing would be to deactivate my naval arms program after building up 400000 tons of cruisers of acceptable quality. This would give me 31 million workers, which is not that much.
Somewhere along the way I must have frakked up. Maybe it is because I did not grow my colonies to 10 million, deactivated transfer of colonists while feeding sufficient amounts of infrastructure at all times. Right now I equip new colonies with infrastructure for 30 million people and let them grow naturally after they reached 20M. This might be the key for a future game.