Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365413 times)

Offline Eternal Noob

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
  • Space is long and dark and empty
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1380 on: February 09, 2021, 04:08:19 AM »
Quote from: Pixel1191 link=topic=11545. msg148640#msg148640 date=1612864634
Pretty sure the whole "jump by sub-fleet" is bugged.  They do the first part of the order alright, splitting into the subfleets, but they seem to forget about the jumping part, because they say they're done but haven't gone anywhere.

Always have to jump them manually and then manually reassemble on the other side.

A functioning order of "squadron transit by sub-fleet and reassemble" is probably wishful thinking, but one can always hope. . . . because the micro of just jumping a sub-divided combat fleet into an enemy system is atrocious.
Yeah, that sounds like the same problem I'm getting so it's probably a bug.

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #1381 on: February 09, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »
Does morale influence how quickly a crew gains fleet training XP?

Offline Lord Solar

• See above
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Everlasting Glory to the Imperium
  • Discord Username: Lord Solar
« Reply #1382 on: February 09, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
Yes, going over deployment will reduce training speed

The following users thanked this post: Caesar

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #1383 on: February 09, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »

Cheers! Any tricks to dealing with that, or do you also just give them the occasional break?

The following users thanked this post: Kylemmie

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1384 on: February 09, 2021, 01:15:16 PM »

Cheers! Any tricks to dealing with that, or do you also just give them the occasional break?

You should give them a break...actually you should put the fleet into overhaul to keep maintenance failure rates low. For this reason I train my fleets in a rotation so that at least one fleet is always active if I need to do some combat in a hurry.

Offline Kylemmie

• K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1385 on: February 09, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »

I just do an overhaul/resupply/refuel whenever the fuel gets low.  But I generally only do the training micro for the first few squadrons. Defensive fleets or Patrols get decent training over time if they aren't being thrown in the grinder right away.

By mid-game, I usually do one set of training for combat ships as they come off the slips, but after the first refuel/overhaul I consider that a good starting base and put them to work. Invasion Fleets are the exception. But at that point I do it as a whole group. Doesn't min/max the individual ships but is a lot less micro.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1386 on: February 09, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »
So one of the biggest changes for me is the awesome increase in Ground Forces complexity - I love it. The question is 'how do I upgrade the older formations with more modern equipment?' I thought I could change the formation template, send a unit with the required equipment and set them as a replacement - but that doesn't seem to work. Is there a manual way to swap out old equipment?

Welchbloke

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1387 on: February 09, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »
So one of the biggest changes for me is the awesome increase in Ground Forces complexity - I love it. The question is 'how do I upgrade the older formations with more modern equipment?' I thought I could change the formation template, send a unit with the required equipment and set them as a replacement - but that doesn't seem to work. Is there a manual way to swap out old equipment?

There is presently no mechanic for this. You can use the Unit Series/Replacements mechanic to replenish losses a formation has suffered with newer equipment (for that authentic Ostfront experience! Wait, bad example...), but the only way to actually upgrade a formation's equipment is to manually swap things around - although you can use the Replacements mechanic and just remove the outdated equipment from the old formation if you want to reduce the amount of clicking you do by half.

In practice probably the best thing to do is to just build newer formations, and either scrap the older formations entirely or relocate them to back-line garrison duties. There is hope though, the ground forces mechanics are still very much "in development" so there may be further improvements coming Soon™...

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke, Napier

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1388 on: February 09, 2021, 04:05:24 PM »
There is presently no mechanic for this. You can use the Unit Series/Replacements mechanic to replenish losses a formation has suffered with newer equipment (for that authentic Ostfront experience! Wait, bad example...), but the only way to actually upgrade a formation's equipment is to manually swap things around - although you can use the Replacements mechanic and just remove the outdated equipment from the old formation if you want to reduce the amount of clicking you do by half.
That's really helpful but leads me to my next question  ;D How do you manually swap equipment around? I cannot work out how to do that. I bet it is something really simple and I will conduct the 'head slap' manoeuvre once I'm told  ???

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1389 on: February 09, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
That's really helpful but leads me to my next question  ;D How do you manually swap equipment around? I cannot work out how to do that. I bet it is something really simple and I will conduct the 'head slap' manoeuvre once I'm told  ???

Welchbloke

Tick the show elements box and then you can drag troops in and out of formations. Manually swapping equipment thus consists of removing the old troops, dragging in new ones, and deleting the obsolete stuff.

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #1390 on: February 09, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
I just do an overhaul/resupply/refuel whenever the fuel gets low.  But I generally only do the training micro for the first few squadrons. Defensive fleets or Patrols get decent training over time if they aren't being thrown in the grinder right away.

By mid-game, I usually do one set of training for combat ships as they come off the slips, but after the first refuel/overhaul I consider that a good starting base and put them to work. Invasion Fleets are the exception. But at that point I do it as a whole group. Doesn't min/max the individual ships but is a lot less micro.

That's some good advice. Maybe I'll do just that! I deal with the fuel costs by cycling a refuel/move to command so they keep topping their fuel off, but the crew just complains too often, so giving them a bit of a base might be good enough, indeed!

You should give them a break...actually you should put the fleet into overhaul to keep maintenance failure rates low. For this reason I train my fleets in a rotation so that at least one fleet is always active if I need to do some combat in a hurry.

I didn't know it's possible for them to train while in overhaul. That's pretty useful stuff!

Thanks, both of you. :)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1391 on: February 09, 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
I didn't know it's possible for them to train while in overhaul. That's pretty useful stuff!

It is, but this isn't a good idea as they can still have maintenance failures while in overhaul this way. You want to move them out from the TRN admin command for the overhaul, then put them back under the TRN admin when they are done and ready to resume training.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1392 on: February 09, 2021, 08:23:32 PM »
Hiya! I'm trying to train my task force. So far it is working: my ships are accruing training grade. I got my fighters properly docked as well, and they're doing great. To deal with the fuel issue, I set the fleet to refuel and resupply at earth, then move to earth on a cycle: they're basically sticking around on Earth as they train. However, with the rate that they're accruing maintenance- and crew deployment time, I'm afraid they'll suffer from disastrous failures and/or terrible consequences due to low morale.

For that purpose, I wonder how other people do it, and whether...
(1) ... I can safely overhaul the ships during the training without messing up their training gains.
(2) ... it's safe to ignore the increase in maintenance time so long as I keep them supplied (and whether it will swiftly drain my supplies).
(3) ... morale affects fleet training gain. If it doesn't, I should be capable of ignoring morale entirely while training, right?

Thanks in advance!

I have standing orders for training fleets to refuel or resupply when a ship goes below 20% - . I usually include a tanker and supply ship in the training fleet so that all the ships keep topped up, and its the tanker or supply ship that triggers the resupply/refuel action. 

I periodically overhaul the entire fleet when they go over deployment. Most of my warships tend to have the same 1 year deployment, I don't tend to bother with training for survey ships or scouts (generally speaking speed of response to orders is usually not a problem for these)

It does require manually moving the fleets out of the Training admin org to avoid the "ship XX cannot benefit from training while in overhaul" spam, and then moving them back once the overhaul is done, and I ignore the one-off warning about the tankers & supply ships not able to be overhauled (as they're CIVs).
Slàinte,

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Caesar, Napier

Online Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1393 on: February 10, 2021, 02:22:45 AM »

It is, but this isn't a good idea as they can still have maintenance failures while in overhaul this way. You want to move them out from the TRN admin command for the overhaul, then put them back under the TRN admin when they are done and ready to resume training.

I think it is important to note that putting a fleet into Overhaul while attached to a training command is pointless as they don't perform any actual overhaul at all.

To be honest I think the training mechanic is mostly a waste of time as it is way to micro heavy and ships train while outside anyway just slower, they will gain 100% training eventually anyway and you don't have to pay out of the nose for doing so. More importantly you don't have to spend allot of time clicking on your fleets and moving them from different commands and performing allot of overhauls. Order delay is not really that much of a problem in general to be worth the hassle. On a side note I don't like that you can get rid of order delay with 100% fleet training either, it is too much... there should always be some order delay.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1394 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »

I think it is important to note that putting a fleet into Overhaul while attached to a training command is pointless as they don't perform any actual overhaul at all.

To be honest I think the training mechanic is mostly a waste of time as it is way to micro heavy and ships train while outside anyway just slower, they will gain 100% training eventually anyway and you don't have to pay out of the nose for doing so. More importantly you don't have to spend allot of time clicking on your fleets and moving them from different commands and performing allot of overhauls. Order delay is not really that much of a problem in general to be worth the hassle. On a side note I don't like that you can get rid of order delay with 100% fleet training either, it is too much... there should always be some order delay.

I think fleet training is completely redundant. There is already a thing called crew grade, just have that determine order delays.