Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365560 times)

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2595 on: March 17, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »
I usually find that running out of leaders is a bigger bottleneck for ships and ground formations than running out of build capacity...

Are these bottlenecks equally impactful, though?

Running out of leaders means your surplus ships/formations don't get bonuses.
Running out of build capacity means you don't get surplus ships/formations.

I know which one I'd rather have.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2596 on: March 17, 2022, 12:43:56 PM »
I think it's an open question, and to be honest perhaps superfluous in most cases but ultimately Aurora is a roleplay game after all...

But in practice, if I don't have sufficient leaders, I don't build fewer ships or ground units, but I do change how those are designed. Without sufficient commanders, the command modules of ships will be removed so you don't have your AUX, CIC, etc. which you might actually like to have, at a certain point these modules are more impactful than adding another railgun, sensor, or what have you.

For ground units what changes is usually the base formation size - if I have 100 ground officers I will build 100 formations at 20,000 tons each rather than 400 formations at 5,000 tons each. I suppose practically the effect is not too great if it is the same mass of troops either way, though. Otherwise you would see with fewer commanders a shift to less-numerous, more costly formations with high armor values, gene-modding and other capability modifiers, etc. On one hand this is a reasonable game-mechanics response to officer scarcity, but on the other hand this does mean tangibly that the amount of officers you generate can limit your options for force composition.

So ultimately it is an open question, and the answer is not either/or. That is, we are not asking whether or not to build an additional academy (usually), rather asking how many resources should be dedicated to expanding our leadership versus other aspects of the empire. To be simplistic about it, if we ask whether to dedicate 100% of our production towards academies or towards factories, obviously the former would be very silly and the latter preferable. But if we are asking whether to go 100% for factories or, say, 90% into factories and 10% into academies, we may find that having enough officers to command our entire force provide enough added value to justify that 10% even though our direct production capability is only 90% of what it could have been. Again, an oversimplified example but it illustrates the point, I for one would never stop building academies entirely but rarely would I ever put more than 5-10% of production capacity towards them.

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline cdrtwohy

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #2597 on: March 17, 2022, 04:41:46 PM »
I just RP that Junior officers are in command, and breveted to the rank needed to command said unit. then as officers become available its those breveted commands getting confirmed. this is realistic too when a military undergoes massive expansion (think US Army during the Civil war and the World Wars where you had young and or inexperienced officers in command of units much much larger than their rank would suggest) as for Academies i require ever planet with to have at least one academy per 1 billion people up to a limit of 10 with as population with a minimum of 100 million requiring at least one  (not all get a commandant with this but it is what it is)

The following users thanked this post: ranger044

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #2598 on: March 18, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
Oh nice, thank you for the update Steve!
Im sending you all of my enthusiasm :)

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #2599 on: March 20, 2022, 12:25:00 PM »
Quick question: How do maintenance modules work?

I tried making a maintenance base for my military fleet(s) and put so many maintenance module on the base to match the tonnage of the fleet, yet it didn't decrease the deploy time or maint time.

Am I missing something?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2600 on: March 20, 2022, 12:29:59 PM »

I tried making a maintenance base for my military fleet(s) and put so many maintenance module on the base to match the tonnage of the fleet, yet it didn't decrease the deploy time or maint time.

Am I missing something?

Maintenance modules do not affect the maintenance time of the parent ship. You need engineering bays and maintenance storage for that.

Maintenance modules maintain other ships that are at the same location as the parent ship depending on the total tonnage it can support, preventing their maintenance clocks from progressing while using up MSP to do so.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2601 on: March 21, 2022, 04:10:31 AM »
Maintenance has multiple elements to it:

1) Engineering bays decrease the chance of components breaking down while also carrying some maintenance supplies to automatically repair components that do break down.
2) Maintenance storage/bays drastically increase the number of maintenance supplies a vessel carries, allowing the vessel to keep going longer through maintenance breakdowns.
3) Damage control drastically shortens the time required to repair damaged/broken components - this is only necessary if you want to fix something during combat as outside of combat it doesn't matter whether it takes 30 seconds or 30 minutes to repair something.
4) Maintenance facilities / modules allow vessels to be overhauled, resetting their maintenance clock. The higher the maintenance clock, the higher the chance that something breaks down. So, you want to overhaul your ships regularly. Even more importantly, vessels staying in the same location as sufficient facilities/modules do not run their maintenance clocks at all.

As Droll said, a maintenance vessel cannot maintain itself.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2602 on: March 21, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »

Am I missing something?

Maintenance modules do not affect the maintenance time of the parent ship. You need engineering bays and maintenance storage for that.

Maintenance modules maintain other ships that are at the same location as the parent ship depending on the total tonnage it can support, preventing their maintenance clocks from progressing while using up MSP to do so.

Where do maintenance modules get/use there msp from?
Do you have to load msp to maintenance ship? if you have one.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2603 on: March 21, 2022, 10:40:11 AM »

Where do maintenance modules get/use there msp from?
Do you have to load msp to maintenance ship? if you have one.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101959#msg101959

3)   The ship being maintained will use up MSP from any racial populations in the same location, in descending order of MSP stockpile. If no populations are available, or have no MSP, the maintained ship will use MSP from any Supply Ships in the same location, in descending order of available MSP. Finally, if no other option is available, the maintained ship will consume its own MSP. A ship can use a combination of the above to locate sufficient MSP.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #2604 on: March 21, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
Another question regarding maintenance modules:

Do they manufacture MSP as well, if you make the required resources available on the body they are stationed at?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2605 on: March 21, 2022, 12:46:26 PM »
Another question regarding maintenance modules:

Do they manufacture MSP as well, if you make the required resources available on the body they are stationed at?

They don't:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg116175#msg116175

2) The only source of maintenance supply points is from maintenance facilities as you can no longer build them with construction factories.

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2606 on: March 21, 2022, 03:01:43 PM »
I have two questions:
    1.  When ship creates Langrance Point, is stabilization module level affects time required to do this?

2.  Is there any way to move ground units between two populations on the same planet, without using ships?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2607 on: March 21, 2022, 03:44:23 PM »
I have two questions:
    1.  When ship creates Langrance Point, is stabilization module level affects time required to do this?

2.  Is there any way to move ground units between two populations on the same planet, without using ships?

For point 1, IIRC the module does not affect the time but the system body size does. Large gas giants are faster to turn into Lagrange points.

For point 2, yes. Go to the ground combat screen and drag and drop formations between the two populations. As long as the populations exist on the same system body, the game shouldn't complain.

The following users thanked this post: Voltbot

Offline Voltbot

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #2608 on: March 22, 2022, 03:06:46 PM »
Another question:
What does standing order "Move to the Entry Jump point" mean?
To go to the Jump point, that ship entered through?

And what is "Point of intersest"?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 03:08:18 PM by Voltbot »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2609 on: March 22, 2022, 03:13:38 PM »
Another question:
What does standing order "Move to the Entry Jump point" mean?
To go to the Jump point, that ship entered through?

Almost; it is the jump point the fleet entered through, which is an important distinction as it means that if you break up and re-form a fleet, the ships in that fleet do not retain any memory of their entry jump point, and as far as the new fleet is concerned it does not have one.

And what is "Point of intersest"?

It is a type of short-lived waypoint which can be set for use with the standing order, for example you can set POIs at system bodies and have a scout ship with the standing order automatically move to check out each body. It's not a terribly well-used feature and I suspect it is mainly a bit of NPR code which Steve exposed to the player for those rare use cases.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, Voltbot