Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365427 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2910 on: August 20, 2022, 04:52:26 PM »
It is possible that Heavy Bombardment and Long range bombardment can support frontline units from the rear echelon but my memory fails me and I have never tested it

This is correct. AA units can support as well following the rules for defensive AA fire but this has never ever mattered in the history of Aurora because ground support fighters are butt.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2911 on: August 20, 2022, 05:32:06 PM »
I just stupidly built a bunch of ships without fuel tanks and they're now in interplanetary space.  I SM'd in some fuel tanks, but they're still empty.  Is there a way to fill them with SM?  I can't find it.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2912 on: August 20, 2022, 07:20:46 PM »
I just stupidly built a bunch of ships without fuel tanks and they're now in interplanetary space.  I SM'd in some fuel tanks, but they're still empty.  Is there a way to fill them with SM?  I can't find it.

Naval Organization window --> Select ship --> Miscellaneous tab --> SM Refuel

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2913 on: August 21, 2022, 07:09:53 AM »

What does "Rear Echelon" do mechanically?  I've set my HQ formation to that to keep them out of combat...or should I make them support?

Rear Echelon formations are pretty much out of combat unless there is a breakthrough in which case they can be attacked. Supply , engineering and other nonecombat units should be in rear echelon, so a higher echelon command can be in the rear echelon without problem if it has no combat elements. Direct fire combat units need to be in front line attack or defense. Artillery units supporting a front line unit need to be in support, so if your HQ unit has artillery in it then it should be in support and assigned to support a front line unit.
It is possible that Heavy Bombardment and Long range bombardment can support frontline units from the rear echelon but my memory fails me and I have never tested it

Thanks.  Some of my HQ formations have combat units but they are more or less intended for self defence of the HQ so I'll have a look at them in detail...the others can stay RE.  Where should Medium AA be to protect a formation best?

I'm also trying to figure out how to represent a 150 mm Howitzer regiment...could I use static medium bombardment for this?  SPA is no problem but I'm not really sure how best to represent towed guns.

I miss the ground combat damage tech as well.   Eventually that will sort itself out as I get past this initial teching up after developing TN tech period.  I'm catching a few surprises...cargo shuttles ...had to return my ships to my home world...offload the mines and then refit them to have that system before I could start offworld mining.  Lots of things are the same as the VB...but lots of small stuff is different ...  I'm finding formations a real mess...but it was nice to find that I didn't have to keep re-developing engines for missiles.

Offline Nyvis

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #2914 on: August 21, 2022, 09:07:14 AM »
I'm trying to find how to spacemaster in industry to make a custom start and I'm not seeing the buttons for it. The wiki page for space master seem to be VB only so can someone tell me if they're still supposed to exist in Aurora C# or if I'm searching for something that's VB only? (I'm trying to make a start with a moon or mars base)

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2915 on: August 21, 2022, 09:32:41 AM »

Rear Echelon formations are pretty much out of combat unless there is a breakthrough in which case they can be attacked. Supply , engineering and other nonecombat units should be in rear echelon, so a higher echelon command can be in the rear echelon without problem if it has no combat elements. Direct fire combat units need to be in front line attack or defense. Artillery units supporting a front line unit need to be in support, so if your HQ unit has artillery in it then it should be in support and assigned to support a front line unit.

Thanks.  Some of my HQ formations have combat units but they are more or less intended for self defence of the HQ so I'll have a look at them in detail...the others can stay RE.  Where should Medium AA be to protect a formation best?

I'm also trying to figure out how to represent a 150 mm Howitzer regiment...could I use static medium bombardment for this?  SPA is no problem but I'm not really sure how best to represent towed guns.

I miss the ground combat damage tech as well.   Eventually that will sort itself out as I get past this initial teching up after developing TN tech period.  I'm catching a few surprises...cargo shuttles ...had to return my ships to my home world...offload the mines and then refit them to have that system before I could start offworld mining.  Lots of things are the same as the VB...but lots of small stuff is different ...  I'm finding formations a real mess...but it was nice to find that I didn't have to keep re-developing engines for missiles.
[/quote]
Howitzer regiments would be static units with bombardment weapons, probably with light armour, they don't have to be fortified bunkers but can represent towed guns etc. 81mm mortars would probably be light bombardment infantry.
Combat units in rear echelon formations are just there for RP purposes, they won't ever fire at anything. During a breakthrough attack the units attacked do not return fire

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #2916 on: August 21, 2022, 09:40:54 AM »
I'm trying to find how to spacemaster in industry to make a custom start and I'm not seeing the buttons for it. The wiki page for space master seem to be VB only so can someone tell me if they're still supposed to exist in Aurora C# or if I'm searching for something that's VB only? (I'm trying to make a start with a moon or mars base)

With spacemaster on, the buttons to add installations is in the civilian/flags tab.

The following users thanked this post: Nyvis

Offline Nyvis

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #2917 on: August 21, 2022, 04:09:37 PM »

With spacemaster on, the buttons to add installations is in the civilian/flags tab.

Oh yeah, that works, thank you very much!

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2918 on: August 21, 2022, 05:46:22 PM »
Is it possible that all the jump points in the Solar System suddenly start to block the ships with a military jump engine? while, at first, they succeeded in passing?
Civilians pass, instead.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2919 on: August 21, 2022, 06:06:35 PM »
That should not be possible. Military Jump Engine allows both military and commercial engined ships to jump.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2920 on: August 21, 2022, 06:46:02 PM »
That should not be possible. Military Jump Engine allows both military and commercial engined ships to jump.

Understood the cause: I have modified the ship design, adding some deployment time.
This increased the mass of the ships above the limit of the jump engine!
Reducing the time, i.e. the mass, everything is working OK now.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2921 on: August 22, 2022, 01:56:30 PM »
v. 2.1.0.
In the Minerals window, I have found that to order let's say the third column (Corbomite), I have to set a negative number, as the minimum quantity to search, in the first (Duranium) AND in the second column (Neutronium) (the values in the rest of the columns don't mind: it seems that game doesn't consider them). And so on.
I.e., starting from the left, setting all negative numbers to search, the first column with zero (or a positive number) will be ordered. But, if all have a negative number, again the Duranium column is ordered.
I haven't found a way to order the gravity column. Or have the colonies first.
Does anyone know a way to do these ones?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 02:00:54 PM by paolot »

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2922 on: August 22, 2022, 10:37:39 PM »
 --- If I build a Commercial Ship with a Commerical Hangar and Repair Bays equal to said Hangar's total capacity, will Military Ships docked inside of said Hangar be capable of being repaired as if they were also within the Repair Bay?

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2923 on: August 22, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
--- If I build a Commercial Ship with a Commerical Hangar and Repair Bays equal to said Hangar's total capacity, will Military Ships docked inside of said Hangar be capable of being repaired as if they were also within the Repair Bay?

If the the Repair bay does start repairing, it won't be because the hangar has anything to do with it, according to this: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg159407#msg159407

And once repair is underway the fleet won't be able to move from the population you've stationed the repair bay at, as per the post on repair bays: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg159325#msg159325

But could you start the repair while it's inside a commercial hangar of another vessel? I don't think I've seen that stated anywhere. Not that it makes much difference, other than a bit of micromanagement potentially.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 11:12:14 PM by Snoman314 »

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2924 on: August 23, 2022, 05:19:08 PM »
Is there any way to set orders for multiple STO sites at the same time?

I have a couple of dozen as things stand due to keeping the cost low so they are ready to use in time to make a difference.

I am having to work my way down the list doing each formation individually if I want to fine tune attack priorities, even if a formation is subsumed within another formation. eg I have five silos in a complex, each silo or complex has one or two guns depending on the build cost. Each silo and the complex they are part of is listed separately in the STO control page.

I have tried but cannot select multiple STO formations at the same time to change targeting orders.

Is there a way to retroactively reorganise multiple formations into a single formation? Can I alter the complex template and get it to hold all the silo STOs after it has been built?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:21:20 PM by boolybooly »