Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365564 times)

Offline doodle_sm

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3465 on: December 01, 2023, 05:10:21 PM »
Has anybody tried tiny commercial space stations as sensor pickets?

Yes! They're quite useful even. With enough careful positioning a sensor satellite can provide decent target painting for military ships.
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3466 on: December 01, 2023, 05:57:18 PM »
Has anybody tried tiny commercial space stations as sensor pickets?

Thinking about the problem of how to provide long-term sensor presence with low ongoing costs. Obviously these stations would have very limited capabilities since they are limited to commercial sensors, but they also should be very cheap and small, and you could probably carry them in a hangar to drop at points of interest.

Unless you're going for deep space locations DST installations are probably the regular way of handling this problem. However, a tiny picket station could be easier to transport.

I've done picket stations, small mobile commercial pickets (which double as scouts in a pinch), and sensor buoys (i.e. missiles without an engine). The buoy approach is probably the most efficient/economical but each has its uses.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3467 on: December 01, 2023, 07:37:36 PM »
I've done picket stations, small mobile commercial pickets (which double as scouts in a pinch), and sensor buoys (i.e. missiles without an engine). The buoy approach is probably the most efficient/economical but each has its uses.
What's the endurance on sensor buoys like now? I'm having trouble finding documentation. Did they stop having a limit?

(Self-propelled commercial pickets were obvious but I want a solution that doesn't strand a size 20+ engine out there supporting ~2 size points worth of sensor systems for a long watch.)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3468 on: December 01, 2023, 10:59:35 PM »
What's the endurance on sensor buoys like now? I'm having trouble finding documentation. Did they stop having a limit?

Yes they are unlimited now... at least, I've never seen one expire. Shot to pieces by hostile aliens, sure, but never expired.

(Self-propelled commercial pickets were obvious but I want a solution that doesn't strand a size 20+ engine out there supporting ~2 size points worth of sensor systems for a long watch.)

You can roleplay that they conduct local patrols of the JP vicinity and rotate crews with small shuttlecraft not shown in-game if you like... I find them useful for providing a low-cost scout alternative in addition to monitoring duties, but they are the most expensive option so I usually only use these in my Duranium Legion games.  :P

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3469 on: December 02, 2023, 01:15:51 AM »
Was the bug ever fixed where fuel harvesters kept consuming Sorium from a gas giant despite their fuel tanks being full? I can't remember and quick search yielded no results.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3470 on: December 02, 2023, 01:38:48 AM »
Was the bug ever fixed where fuel harvesters kept consuming Sorium from a gas giant despite their fuel tanks being full? I can't remember and quick search yielded no results.

I think civilian Fuel Harvesters are supposed to do that. It's notionally the surplus fuel production being sold, and I think you're supposed to get tax income from that production that overflows the fuel storage.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3471 on: December 02, 2023, 01:41:23 AM »
Yeah, that's true for civilians and also fine and dandy. I'm asking about player-built harvesters as there used to be a bug where they kept consuming the Sorium despite not making any fuel.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3472 on: December 02, 2023, 06:27:26 AM »
Something I've never thought about, which has suddenly become relevant in my "test game" campaign: do NPRs ever re-survey a system if they suspect a dormant jump point? For that matter, are they capable of suspecting such things?

There is a lot of AI code now, so I am not certain, but I don't think they explicitly look for them. However, if they see alien ships appearing unexpectedly, they will investigate the area and potentially detect the jump point via detecting a transit.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #3473 on: December 02, 2023, 07:38:24 AM »
Is there a way to „remove“ a commander from the automatic assignment? My sector commander always gets removed from his job.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3474 on: December 02, 2023, 07:48:04 AM »
Is there a way to „remove“ a commander from the automatic assignment? My sector commander always gets removed from his job.

there's the 'Story Character' and 'Do Not Promote' buttons, but I don't think they'll quite do what you're after. I usually just make sure the commander assignment priorities are all correctly set, and that usually causes the best person for each job to be assigned.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3475 on: December 03, 2023, 12:18:19 AM »
How do you make a fleet move below its max speed?

Because I'm using every control that looks relevant and none of them are having any effect.

Amendment: If I use the change speed button and navigate away, I can get the fleet's displayed speed in the fleet window to be lower. But it still moves at full speed.

Amendment two: found it. In the right set of checkboxes over the move orders there is one for 'use max speed' which causes the fleet to quietly throw away any other speed orders.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:29:41 AM by Ulzgoroth »

Offline Mint Keyphase

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3476 on: December 03, 2023, 04:42:09 AM »
Where is the laser warhead checkbox?
Nvm I misread my version number
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:44:13 AM by Mint Keyphase »

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #3477 on: December 03, 2023, 04:52:04 AM »
How do I get the missile chance to hit higher? The latest update makes it kinda hard?

Offline Mint Keyphase

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3478 on: December 03, 2023, 04:54:32 AM »
A better engine and allocate more mass to agility will help I guess?

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3479 on: December 03, 2023, 04:58:01 AM »
How do I get the missile chance to hit higher? The latest update makes it kinda hard?

A better engine and allocate more mass to agility will help I guess?

Missile agility is not a thing anymore. Pretty much you just have to make the missile faster. There is the the Active Terminal Guidance, but for smaller missilles, the 0.25MSP cost can slow the missile down enough that it ends up less accurate than without it.

I agree, I don't understand the removal of agility. I just remember being convinced by Steve and Nuclearslurpee that it sounded like a good idea back when the decision was made.