Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365555 times)

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3720 on: February 11, 2024, 02:52:12 PM »
Please, just a couple of confirmations.
To move around troops (e.g., to garrison locations), I need ships with troop transport module, not a simple cargo ship, do I?
And a shuttle bay to unload from the ship, right?
Thanks!!!

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3721 on: February 11, 2024, 03:06:31 PM »
Yes, you need troop transport bays and a shuttle bay. More shuttle bays will increase the load/unload times. (you also need the bay to load the ship)

I think you could get away without a shuttle bay if you have a spaceport, but I doubt you'll have one everywhere. And the bays would still speed up the loading process.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3722 on: February 11, 2024, 03:10:50 PM »
Please, just a couple of confirmations.
To move around troops (e.g., to garrison locations), I need ships with troop transport module, not a simple cargo ship, do I?
And a shuttle bay to unload from the ship, right?
Thanks!!!
Correct, you can use Troop Transport Bays or Troop Transport Drop Bays to move your troops around. Drop bays require more mass per carried troop toonage but will allow you to deploy your troops pretty much instantly to the planet's surface. In your mind's eye you can imagine the drop pods as they scream down through the atmosphere :)
Shuttle bays will reduce the time required to load/unload.

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #3723 on: February 11, 2024, 03:18:54 PM »
Perfect!
Thank you both!
welchbloke, were you thinking to Starship Troopers?!   ;D ;D ;D
At the moment, I haven't to invade enemy bodies. Simply move troops to my colonies. To redo some geosurvey... and calm some populations!!

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3724 on: February 11, 2024, 03:59:12 PM »
Perfect!
Thank you both!
welchbloke, were you thinking to Starship Troopers?!   ;D ;D ;D
At the moment, I haven't to invade enemy bodies. Simply move troops to my colonies. To redo some geosurvey... and calm some populations!!
Well I do have a Drop Inf division consisting of 'the most on the bounce cap troopers where everybody fights and no one quits'.... :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:04:45 PM by welchbloke »
Welchbloke

Offline pbhead

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #3725 on: February 11, 2024, 11:15:38 PM »
My survey vessels have stopped surveying.   Like.   they sit on 00:00:00 ETA.  .  .    and do nothing.     

They worked fine earlier.       The exact same ships mind you.         Could this have something to do with the fact that they are surveying a system that a friendly NPR found first, and has been in for a while?

A save file (needs renaming) https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8x4uhgyuna07kjwyz8g5r/AuroraDB2.db?rlkey=zjha5bnf7xq9j1023styll1g8&dl=0

Id post in the bug report section, but I want to rule out "me being stupid" first.     

Edits: I used spacemaster mode to spawn a brand new copy of the ship, and sent it to a different system, and the copy is surveying fine there.   But when I spacemaster the OG ship to the same different system. . .  It doesnt survey.  Which makes me really think it is a buggers.  Or I could still be dumb somehow.   At least I have a work around: delete the old ones and spawn new ones.  i guess.

Also, why the hell are spaces appearing after periods? It is breaking my links.   and making my sentences look stupid.
Fixed link. It's an anti-spam feature. -Garf
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:54:20 AM by Garfunkel »

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3726 on: February 12, 2024, 01:42:33 AM »
This ship only has a GEO sensor. To scan Survey Points you need a GRAV sensor. :)

The following users thanked this post: pbhead

Offline pbhead

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #3727 on: February 12, 2024, 07:57:46 AM »
wow.  yep.  I am dumb.    I set my geo fleet to grav survey, and my grav fleet to geo survey.   And not only that, but I had double checked it and set them backwards a second time.  Thanks.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3728 on: February 12, 2024, 05:04:09 PM »
I would never make the mistake of giving the wrong survey orders  :). Coincidentally I use survey ships with both sensors

The following users thanked this post: pbhead

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #3729 on: February 14, 2024, 01:54:23 PM »
Is the time for a Xeno Ground team to examine alien ruins dependent on the ruins themselves?  Like, if it's taking forever, does that mean it will be a higher "tech level" or something?

(I plopped my Xeno Team... 38 vehicles... on a Ruined Outpost 30 years ago.  I was getting tired of waiting, so I tripled the count, and waited another 20 years.  It's getting a bit aggravating ;p )

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3730 on: February 14, 2024, 02:21:23 PM »
Is the time for a Xeno Ground team to examine alien ruins dependent on the ruins themselves?  Like, if it's taking forever, does that mean it will be a higher "tech level" or something?

(I plopped my Xeno Team... 38 vehicles... on a Ruined Outpost 30 years ago.  I was getting tired of waiting, so I tripled the count, and waited another 20 years.  It's getting a bit aggravating ;p )
Are you sure that you didn't miss the message that they finished? The Xeno team just IDs the name, tech level, and number of buildings of the ruins - you need construction vehicles to actually start pulling goods out.

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #3731 on: February 15, 2024, 04:25:28 AM »
Are you sure that you didn't miss the message that they finished? The Xeno team just IDs the name, tech level, and number of buildings of the ruins - you need construction vehicles to actually start pulling goods out.

My "Xenoteam vehicle" is 1Xeno module and 1 construction module.

I'll keep watching... my galaxy has stalled-ish at the moment
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 04:33:54 AM by themousemaster »

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #3732 on: February 15, 2024, 07:29:28 AM »
I just started a new conventional campaign and writing an AAR on another forum (playing as the USA in 1960, now I am in 1972) coz there are a lot of guys interested in Aurora but always scared of the learning curve.

The game is a conventional start with all the other default options, the questions is: how interesting can be from a gameplay perspective if I add via SM another or two neutral NPR on Earth to simulate the technological handicap, for example UK and URSS always conventional?

Are they going to construct ships, colonize and all the other stuff a human player may expect?

I do not have any experience with SM, how should I procede to add two neutral conventional NPR on Earth?

Thanks

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3733 on: February 15, 2024, 08:19:16 AM »
NPR cannot do conventional starts. You can create a neutral faction that is completely passive and only produces colonists that you can convince to immigrate to your colonies via your own colony ships, but that's it. If you want to have NPRs on Earth, they start with the normal TN-start. Also, keep in mind that they will not hesitate to nuke Earth if/when war happens.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3734 on: February 15, 2024, 09:54:58 AM »
My "Xenoteam vehicle" is 1Xeno module and 1 construction module.

I'll keep watching... my galaxy has stalled-ish at the moment
That's far, far longer than I'd expect; although I'll note that your initial xeno team was only ~19% as large as my typical team (100 Xeno x2 Trucks).

My only suggestion would be to ramp up your presence on the planet - make some xeno-only vehicles, put together as many as can fit on your transport, and - if you're not doing this already - give them an appropriately-sized HQ unit, and assign a commander with +Xeno abilities.

Even so, 50 years is a long time not to see progress.