Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365560 times)

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3735 on: February 16, 2024, 07:01:26 AM »
Even so, 50 years is a long time not to see progress.

That line sums up almost everything I do in this game ;p.

Still, 67 years after initial Xeno-landing, I finally breached it... and it was extraordinarily not-special.  Lame.

At least during all that time the NPR became "allies" with me and my 0 rating, allowing me to actually send my diplo ship closer to one of their colonies and start actually building THEIR rating so I could return the favor.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3736 on: February 16, 2024, 12:56:38 PM »
I'm having an issue using Orbital Habitats to create colonies on high-colony cost worlds. I designed an Orbital Habitat with 5x Ark Modules:

I created a colony on Venus, and then had a tug tow it to Venus. The tug fleet released the habitat in orbit, and the resulting fleet shows it as "orbiting Venus." However, the Venus colony still says Supported Population 0m/0m, and if I actually unload colonists on Venus it now shows a growth rate of -540%. I also tried ordering the fleet orbiting Venus to again Move to Venus, which it did, but no change. If I advance time, the landed colonists start to die.

How do I get the Orbital Habitat to actually work and provide population to Venus? I also tried towing the Orbital Habitat back to Earth and ordering it to Load Colonists at Earth, but despite orbiting Earth it never actually loads anything and just sits there with the "Load Colonists" order.

What am I missing? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 02:20:42 PM by ChubbyPitbull »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3737 on: February 16, 2024, 01:44:14 PM »
If there is no space port or cargo transfer station on Earth the habitat is not able to load colonists as it does not have cargo shuttles.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3738 on: February 16, 2024, 01:50:34 PM »
If there is no space port or cargo transfer station on Earth the habitat is not able to load colonists as it does not have cargo shuttles.

Understood! However, this is both a Spaceport AND a Cargo Transfer Station on Earth.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #3739 on: February 16, 2024, 02:11:38 PM »
Tactical question:

What do most people do to deal with a fleet guarding a jump point, and doing the "jump dance" (since they apparently aren't affected by jump shock) to prevent me from being able to assign FC and fire before they leave again?

(I don't see any connections to allow me to send in another fleet from the other side to cover both ends of the JP)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3740 on: February 16, 2024, 02:30:33 PM »
Tactical question:

What do most people do to deal with a fleet guarding a jump point, and doing the "jump dance" (since they apparently aren't affected by jump shock) to prevent me from being able to assign FC and fire before they leave again?

(I don't see any connections to allow me to send in another fleet from the other side to cover both ends of the JP)

This was supposed to be fixed in a recent patch so that NPRs would no longer avoid jump shock and you should have a chance to shoot at them. If this is still happening I think it merits a bug report.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3741 on: February 17, 2024, 04:43:29 AM »
Tactical question:

Are you on version 2.5.1?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3742 on: February 17, 2024, 05:29:51 PM »
Is the time for a Xeno Ground team to examine alien ruins dependent on the ruins themselves?  Like, if it's taking forever, does that mean it will be a higher "tech level" or something?

(I plopped my Xeno Team... 38 vehicles... on a Ruined Outpost 30 years ago.  I was getting tired of waiting, so I tripled the count, and waited another 20 years.  It's getting a bit aggravating ;p )

My "Xenoteam vehicle" is 1Xeno module and 1 construction module.

I'll keep watching... my galaxy has stalled-ish at the moment

Ok, let’s refamiliarize ourselves with the mechanics:

Ground-based Xenoarchaeology

Xenology Teams do not exist in C# Aurora.

Instead, a new ground unit component (100 tons) provides 0.5 xenoarchaeology points. Ground units with this component may be added to ground formations to provide a xenoarchaeology capability. All formations at the same population with a xenoarchaeology capability will combine their xenoarchaeology points.

The annual chance for a race to successfully translate the alien language and symbology is equal to the xenoarchaeology points on the planet. For example, a Xenoarchaeology Vehicle is created with 2 components, giving it 1 xenoarchaeology point (cost about 9 BP). If a formation has forty such vehicles, the annual chance would be 40%. The chance in any given construction phase is equal to the annual chance * (construction phase length / year).

Your vehicles have 0.5 points each, giving your entire formation 19 points. That gives you a 19% chance of successfully exploring the ruins in any given year. But the real mechanic is that you really get 19/73% = 0.26% chance every construction cycle. These checks are all independent of each other, except for the fact that once the ruins are identified they stop looking. Thus we should really compute the probability that the team still has not succeeded after a certain period of time. The formula for this is (1 − P)N, where P is the probability per construction cycle and N is the number of construction cycles elapsed.

(1 − (0.19/73))^(30*73) = 0.003321195 = 0.33%

So the chance that you would have to wait 30 years for your initial team to finish the job is pretty small. Of course it doesn’t tell you how much longer you will have to wait; they’re not saving up progress from cycle to cycle so the checks are still independent from each other.

Then you tripled the number of vehicles to 114, giving you 57 points. That is 0.78% chance per construction cycle

Still, 67 years after initial Xeno-landing, I finally breached it... and it was extraordinarily not-special.  Lame.

What is the probability that you would need to wait another 37 years?

(1 − (0.57/73))^(37*73) = 0.000000000638 = 0.0000000638%

That’s pretty darn unlucky.

I always recommend that people aim for a lot more points than they think is reasonable. The yearly percentages are misleading because breaking it up into multiple smaller checks actually results in a lower chance per year. Of course even then you can still get unlucky.

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3743 on: February 17, 2024, 11:04:36 PM »
I'm having an issue using Orbital Habitats to create colonies on high-colony cost worlds. I designed an Orbital Habitat with 5x Ark Modules:

I created a colony on Venus, and then had a tug tow it to Venus. The tug fleet released the habitat in orbit, and the resulting fleet shows it as "orbiting Venus." However, the Venus colony still says Supported Population 0m/0m, and if I actually unload colonists on Venus it now shows a growth rate of -540%. I also tried ordering the fleet orbiting Venus to again Move to Venus, which it did, but no change. If I advance time, the landed colonists start to die.

How do I get the Orbital Habitat to actually work and provide population to Venus? I also tried towing the Orbital Habitat back to Earth and ordering it to Load Colonists at Earth, but despite orbiting Earth it never actually loads anything and just sits there with the "Load Colonists" order.

What am I missing? Thanks!

Having just done exactly the same as you - you don’t take the colonists off the station that’s what the arks are for - imagine them been shuttled to the surface to work in their mines and shuttled back again at the end of the day - they live on the arks and work on the planet - Venus’ surface is no place to live

I have 8 ark stations around Venus providing 8m miners work in 160 mines

Afaik if the load colonists button is there and you have enough on earth it’ll work - took about 10-15 days to load my arks

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3744 on: February 18, 2024, 05:25:50 AM »
Do note that you need long enough time pulses for loading to happen. If you're just pressing 20 minutes or 1 hour repeatedly, nothing might happen.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #3745 on: February 18, 2024, 06:59:56 AM »
Can someone guide me through the latest versions' ground force upgrade procedure? In the past it was extremely bothersome to have to obsolete most of your standing forces on every major tech step instead of just upgrading/retraining them with new equipment, though I did like that I had to research their newest iteration.
I vaguely remember reading a year ago that Steve wanted to change it into auto-upgrading, so you'd neither research and forces just get all tech progression immediately like in VB6? Well, if so, then that isn't implemented as I just tested, but maybe I just remember it wrongly.
Can the troops be upgraded later in some way? Through the series line perhaps? But I don't see any buttons/dropdowns that would make it possible to select formations to upgrade or anything.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3746 on: February 18, 2024, 11:14:44 AM »
Sadly we still do not have a way to upgrade existing formations, we can update templates but still no automation for formation upgrading.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #3747 on: February 18, 2024, 12:53:05 PM »
I think I know the answer, but is there a way to test the STO designing a ship as target? So far I was able to test ship Vs ship but for the STO there doesn't seem to be this possibility because they fire automatically.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #3748 on: February 19, 2024, 05:51:49 AM »
Tactical question:

Are you on version 2.5.1?

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #3749 on: February 19, 2024, 05:52:59 AM »
Tactical question:

This was supposed to be fixed in a recent patch so that NPRs would no longer avoid jump shock and you should have a chance to shoot at them. If this is still happening I think it merits a bug report.

What if it's not a... uhhh... regular NPR?  (also, as per Steve's question below this, it's version 2.4.0)