Author Topic: Thoughts On Campaign Length?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Coleslaw (OP)

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
Thoughts On Campaign Length?
« on: April 18, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »
And no, I don't mean that turns are unbearably fast. I quite like their pace, actually, though you've gotta be ready to jump on that stop turn button because a lot of events don't automatically stop turns like they used to.

What I more want to ask the community is this: how much gametime do you think there is to Aurora now before you hit a technological dead-end and have essentially beaten the game? It'd take me playing often for months in VB6 Aurora to slog through the seemingly endless turns. My VB6 game where I researched everything took a little less than 500 in-game years played over the course of a couple months or more (with NPRs only generated as I explored a system where I would then find them, conquer them, and move on)... In my v1.3 campaign of C# Aurora, I've gone through about 120 years in a matter of a couple days with 2 NPRs already established in the galaxy. That means that, in a little over a week, I'll have potentially researched everything/almost everything. (I understand certain techs have had their values modified, and obviously there's some new techs, but in my opinion not enough to really change what I call the "end game" date, assuming you're not hyper-delving into stuff like ground unit design.)

I don't think this is in issue, in all honesty. I think it'll make Aurora a much more enriching game because now I can actually see my empire progress through time without having to actually feel like I'm spending 500 real life years waiting for it to get where I want it to be. Once all the bugs are ironed out, I'm sure we're going to get a lot of cool features, which means people will likely be able to comfortably play and finish at least one campaign before the next feature release comes out, keeping the game fresh for most of us and a consistently active fanbase. Also, this is going to be incredibly good for those who do let's plays, both on YouTube and on forums, because they're going to be able to waste less time waiting for stuff to happen and more time actually showing what happens. This could foster a lot of potential growth. I've been thinking about doing a sort of dramatic narrative series of an empire as it goes from conventional, to either amongst the stars as a powerful force in the galaxy, or as a pile of rubble under the control of an alien force, similar to something like this I did about a year ago that I wasn't really proud of and thought was a little cringey so I never unlisted it: (EDIT: removed link to a video.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 08:20:34 PM by Coleslaw »

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Thoughts On Campaign Length?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
I am currently playing a conventional game with 6 factions starting on earth (all played by me). Research and construction speed are set to half the normal values, starting pops 50-150m each and ~2 labs each.
I found that this gives quite an unusual slow pace. 70 years and several real time hours into the game nobody has left the Sol system yet. First gravsurveys are on the way now. On the other hand several updates to ground forces happened already. Also, the phenomenon that low-tech designs are outdated so ridiculously fast does not happen with these settings.

So I really like these new settings, I think they can make for some diverse gameplay.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
There is also the option to slow down research to a crawl now as well. You also can modify how fast you survey planetary bodies as well.

My first real campaign will probably sport about 5-8 human controlled earth factions and a total earth population of about 7 billion peoples or so, large part will still be a neutral faction so factions will probably be around 500 million to 1 billion in size or so.

I probably intend research by be a bout 1/5 the speed of normal and surveying to be about 5% of normal speed. I suppose such a game would take thousands of years to go through the entire research tree... I don't expect to reach more than perhaps half the tech progression in the game at most.

Offline SA_Drone

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
I love the new "slow research to a crawl" option, and have been progressively making my research times longer with each new save file.  Default tech rates are fine when playing Aurora as a game, but as a narrative simulator (which is what really draws me to it), I like to kinda chew on my tech a bit before it becomes wildly outdated.

In my 1. 6 save, I was 30 years in without having even started an offworld colony in Sol yet (though that's probably more to do with me focusing more on military tech than anything else).

Online SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Exactly the same, in my AAR i am on 20% research speed and this means that it takes a literal generation of humans before new weapons and ships become available , this adds to the scale and narrative of my AAR

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 10:43:12 AM »
Exactly the same, in my AAR i am on 20% research speed and this means that it takes a literal generation of humans before new weapons and ships become available , this adds to the scale and narrative of my AAR

Do you know if research speed affects NPR's?

Online SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »
I believe and I hope its universe wide

Offline Argoniur

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
I am playing on 10% research speed and in my opinion in makes the game much more enjoyable.  I believe it applies to everyone just like the survey speed.

Online SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
It also makes sense in real life a nee class of ship replacing the old takes up to half a century for example the USS nimitz to USS gerald r ford class

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
I have experimented a bit I have found 40% is about the right balance for me on a conventional start.  In my most serious game which I ran out about 50 years, I was able to go through an entire modernization cycle with my ground units starting about 15-25 years in and was just getting ready to start a second one.  I rapidly went through the first four engine technologies in about 15 years but then stalled out for about 15-20 before I researched my next - at 50 years in I still have ships with improved nuclear thermal in active service and barely modified.  The first colonization push began about 15 years in and by 50 year mark, I had a pretty decent presence out to Jupiter but honestly beyond that hadn't really colonized much.  I had explored about 8 systems by that point but honestly my extra-Sol efforts were just getting started and I had only one very small colony based off a very close JP in Sol.  I find that I restrain myself from going on a massive research facility building spree - which frankly I personally kind of consider too 'gamey' for me - I'm able to get to the good stuff, spread out tech growth, get a good narrative, but also retain the ability to get a must-have tech in a reasonable time.

Offline Ekaton

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
20% research rate is an amazing idea! Could someone knowledgeable confirm that it affects NPRs?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
20% research rate is an amazing idea! Could someone knowledgeable confirm that it affects NPRs?

I believe it does cause about 30 years into my game with 50 percent research and a NPR I met recently and am at war with seems to be around the same tech level as me even after we have been at war for about two years.

The following users thanked this post: Ekaton

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
Both survey and research rates are suppose to be galaxy wide settings... if by some reason it is not it is a bug. But as far as I can tell from using NPR in Earth it seem to work as intended.