Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272855 times)

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #435 on: May 02, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
When you open the class window, all ship classes trees are open by default. Gets a bit crowded after a while. Maybe having them closed by default or saved which were opened last time, would be a nice QoL, I think ;-)

It actually is remembering which trees you have expanded.
It's just not remembering which trees you have collapsed.
So, it expands any tree that you have expanded since you started this session, even if you later collapsed that tree.

FWIW, if you close and re-open the game, the trees are collapsed again. Not a great workaround, obviously.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #436 on: May 02, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »

If you want to reduce micromanagement, set up a government freighter to run out and collect the minerals and deliver them to the station via cycling orders.

That requires updating the freighter orders every time I set up a mining colony.
If my M.O. is to strip mine all the asteroids, then keeping the freighter orders up to date requires a lot of time.

The simple alternative now is to fling all mining output to a single MD on a body near the center of the system.
Letting us put a MD on a SS saves us hauling time, really.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #437 on: May 02, 2020, 09:13:50 AM »
That requires updating the freighter orders every time I set up a mining colony.
If my M.O. is to strip mine all the asteroids, then keeping the freighter orders up to date requires a lot of time.

The simple alternative now is to fling all mining output to a single MD on a body near the center of the system.

Not to mention those systems with only comets in them. If you automate the mineral pickup there, you might end up having a cargo ship chase a comet to the edge of space because the one comet you chose as gathering point is on its way away from the center. A space station with a mass driver would help greatly.

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2020, 09:36:16 AM »
I suggest a new research chain, related to long-term maintenance.

Orbital Standby Maintenance Efficiency (Logistics):
Reduces the number of MSP per annum used by ships that are being services by maintenance facilities (the mechanic where their maintenance clocks does not advance).
This is the [Ship BP cost * 0.25] in MSP the ship uses per year, being referred to here.
This would change to
Code: [Select]
Math.Floor("Ship BP cost" * 0.25 * "Orbital Standby Maintenance Efficiency Modifier"])By default the modifier is 1.0, and changes as tech is researched (like fuel efficiency).
At highest tech level the modifier should be around 0.25 or 0.2 (i.e. Docked ships use 4 to 5 times less MSP while in dry dock)

This is mainly to make it easier for larger (more late game) empires to maintain more standing fleets.

I would further suggest that an additional option be added to new game options, similar to research or terraform rate.
Code: [Select]
Math.Floor("Ship BP cost" * "Game Option Standby MSP Rate" * "Orbital Standby Maintenance Efficiency Modifier"])"Game Option Standby MSP Usage %" would normally be 0.25 (Represented as 25 in the field to fill in. I would not allow values higher than 25.).
Tooltip: 25 = Ship uses 25% of its BP cost in MSP per annum while in a maintenance facility. Lower means less MSP used per year.

This would be useful for newer players (like myself), or for games that play out over larger time scales (such as when research rate is adjusted down).

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »

If you want to reduce micromanagement, set up a government freighter to run out and collect the minerals and deliver them to the station via cycling orders.

No, it merely requires one new freighter.  One mining colony, one freighter, one route each.  Not every mining colony and every freighter all on the same route.

Mule 001 gets the Phobos run, Mule 002 gets the Ceres run, Mule 003 gets the Hailey's Comet run, etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:30:07 PM by Father Tim »

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
A mass driver component for space stations only.
This will reduce the amount of micro needed for all the mineral transfers.
Mining stations?  Either have the civvies move the driver or include a cargo bay and shuttles and keep it with the station.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #441 on: May 02, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
Not to mention those systems with only comets in them. If you automate the mineral pickup there, you might end up having a cargo ship chase a comet to the edge of space because the one comet you chose as gathering point is on its way away from the center. A space station with a mass driver would help greatly.
It sounds like the solution is to pick a comet which has a small orbit (and preferably angled near the jump point) and use that as a system-wide collection point.

Offline Polestar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
« Reply #442 on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
Using Mass drivers to lob ore around is slow, in part because the speed at which mineral packets move does not appear to depend on Railgun Launch Velocity.

It is, and it should reamin so to encourage the use of government freighters.
Certainly, government freighters should be a preferred option. But I submit that mass drivers should have more than a marginal reason even to exist in the game. At a minimum, they should maintain the same level of relative effectiveness through the tech progression.

Sector commanders, as expected, increase things like mining and production. I'm not seeing them increase population growth (could have sworn they did so in previous versions).

It did, and it still does.  I have many Administrators with Pop Growth modifiers.
[/quote]Yes, they do have growth modifiers. The report, however, is that the pop growth modifiers of sector governors do not appear to affect population growth in 1.93, and I am confident they did so in the past.

Offline Disguy

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2020, 01:58:43 PM »
Is there a way we can configure global ship "orders".

Avoid Enemy Systems
Auto Damage Repair
etc

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »

No, it merely requires one new freighter.  One mining colony, one freighter, one route each.  Not every mining colony and every freighter all on the same route.

Mule 001 gets the Phobos run, Mule 002 gets the Ceres run, Mule 003 gets the Hailey's Comet run, etc.

Assigning one ship per mining colony is a lot of overkill on ship construction, and therefore a lot of wasted fuel, unless you either have massive mining colonies, are using small cargo holds (which is less efficient), or traveling a very, very long way to your mining colonies.

One round trip from a standard cargo hold moves 12.5kt of minerals.
A freighter with a standard cargo hold and three 25% power, size-40 Magneto Plasma engines will make a round trip per year at a range of 11.5Bkm, using 52kL of fuel.
Even if it's a 35Bkm trip to your mining colony, this one ship is moving 4.1kt/year.
That's a lot of output for a mining colony, and will quickly strip most colonies, requiring that I move the mines again (and update the freighter orders again).
And that's at a range of 35Bkm. For a mining colony to keep up with one freighter at 10Bkm, I'd have to pull 43kt/year out of the rock.

Really, I'd just rather plop down a MD and point it at my collection station.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #445 on: May 02, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
Not sure if it's been suggested already, but it would be nice to be able to queue up orders that stay after an overhaul order. For example, when a survey ship completes a system, what I like to do is say Return to colony -> Refuel -> Resupply -> Overhaul -> Standard Transit through Unexplored Jump Point #2, for example. This way, I don't have to come back to that survey ship and it will simply resume surveying the next unexplored location once the overhaul completes.

Currently, it appears all orders are automatically cancelled once overhaul begins, so when overhaul completes I now have to revisit fleets to again order them to explore a new system.

EDIT: Similar request for when tractoring ships. Sometimes my survey ships run out of fuel before reaching a refuel point, I set my tug fleet to go out, tractor the survey ship, then release the survey ship back at the colony. However, once the tugs first tractor the survey ship, the order to tow the tractored ships back to the colony and release them is removed from the tugs orders, so I have to go back in and tell it to do so again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:51:48 PM by ChubbyPitbull »

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT, skoormit

Offline trainhighway

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • t
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #446 on: May 02, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
I've had a quick squiz at the suggestions but i might have missed something, so if its already been suggested sorry for repeating.
It would be great if there was the option to dump the events log into a text file, it would help when it comes to recording the dates of certain events for roleplay.
On a similar note it would be helpful if the little event log for each officer could be exported, especially just after an officer has died.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #447 on: May 02, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
On the topic of dumping event logs to text, please include detailed combat logs. VB Aurora recorded both the hit chance and damage dealt for every shot fired which was invaluable for weapon system comparison testing.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #448 on: May 02, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
On the Civilian Economy tab, when a colony is designated as "Source of Colonists", I would like to be able to specify a reserved population amount, such that only population in excess of that amount is considered available for relocation.

This would make it much easier to keep civvies from taking too many colonists and leaving too few workers for my installations.
Right now I have to keep a close eye on it, and switch the status back and forth all the time.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #449 on: May 03, 2020, 01:05:35 AM »
Certainly, government freighters should be a preferred option. But I submit that mass drivers should have more than a marginal reason even to exist in the game. At a minimum, they should maintain the same level of relative effectiveness through the tech progression.

And I submit that they shouldn't.  I want a robust civilian ecnomy so I can perform commerce raiding and commerce protection.  Until and unless I can steal mass driver packets in flight, they should be removed from the game.

Yes, they do have growth modifiers. The report, however, is that the pop growth modifiers of sector governors do not appear to affect population growth in 1.93, and I am confident they did so in the past.

Sector governor bonuses apply at a reduced rate.  The bonus might be small enough you're not noticing, or there might be enough bonuses that they don't all fit in the display area.

Governor bonuses (both colony & sector) to population growth exist in 1.9.3.  If they're not being displayed, or not being applied, that's a bug, not a suggestion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:29:34 AM by Father Tim »