Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272859 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1005 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
Conversely also probably will have a pretty good idea of where you are landing so they might not have much issue contesting your attempted landing.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1006 on: October 02, 2020, 08:24:49 AM »
Conversely also probably will have a pretty good idea of where you are landing so they might not have much issue contesting your attempted landing.
In the scenario where one side has control over space and the other side has control over ground, it seems to me that the space side can fairly easily target anything moving on the surface or flying in the air. Things which are dug in are harder to pinpoint and destroy.

Therefore any movement or redeployment by the ground based side in order to contest landing sites will cause them to be exposed to potential attack from space. So although they might have a good idea of where you are landing, a sensible general would avoid exposing his or her troops.

I'm sure there are 100's of gotcha scenarios where disembarking troops can get shot at and therefore maybe Eisenhower wants to stay in orbit rather than risk getting muddy but Aurora does not model them. A whole 20kT division shows up in a single 5s increment rather than individual infantrymen getting ferried down in cargo shuttles which presumably ought to be finite, consume fuel and be target-able by AA or STO's but only the ones which can see them over the curvature of the planet in hypothetical the world where Aurora models everything down to the last minute detail.
Unless someone comes up with a proposal that is concrete, reasonably balanced (or becomes so through discussion) and interests Steve it isn't relevant because it isn't modelled.

I would like to be able to see Naval and Ground OOB linked in some way but I haven't got a proper idea of how to do it so I'm not going to waste everyone's time by making a bunch of posts about it until I do.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1007 on: October 02, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Suggestion: make it less micro-intensive to load huge formations into troop transports.  I am currently trying to load a whole corps into troop transports.  The corps has 4 brigades.  Each brigade has 3 divisions.  Each division has 4 battalions.  For each one I have to click "Load Ground Formation", then the formation I want to load, then add move.  So that's 3 clicks per formation.  And the formation list is too long to fit in the list, so for about 3/4 of them, I have to scroll as well.  Worse yet, the formations don't all fit in the order queue, so it's very easy to lose track while I'm doing it.  There's also a gameplay problem; I have 14 transports, but I believe they only load one ground formation at a time.  My transports can hold 25000 tons, but I think the whole fleet waits while one transport loads one 5000 ton battalion at a time.

I propose two possible solutions.
  • 1: Make it like cargo fleets.  Fleets of freighters just all fill up somewhat intelligently.  Why can't cargo ships do that?  When issued to a fleet of mixed size, make them load the big units first, so you don't get a situation where a transport with 25000 ton capability picks up a 1000 ton boarding party that was actually meant for the boarding shuttle, and now it doesn't have room for the 25000 division.  Combine this with the ability to shift-click orders to issue them all at once to make it pretty much perfect.
  • Include transports in the formation window, and let us move formations with drag and drop, just like moving them from one population to another.

EDIT: I just found the "Load subordinates" checkbox.  I'd still like to see transports in the formation window, but it's no biggie.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:34:41 PM by Barkhorn »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1008 on: October 03, 2020, 12:54:37 AM »
Make Ground Unit Construction Facilities work more like regular construction facilities. They generate a set number of construction points every year that get invested into ground units. It doesn't make sense that a company takes up as many GUCFs as a brigade.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1009 on: October 03, 2020, 06:00:04 AM »
Make Ground Unit Construction Facilities work more like regular construction facilities. They generate a set number of construction points every year that get invested into ground units. It doesn't make sense that a company takes up as many GUCFs as a brigade.

+1, making ground facilities act like normal industry also means that on the UI they can be placed as a tab in the industrial construction menu. The tech already makes it so that each GUCF contributes a certain amount per cycle much like construction/ordnance/fighter factories. It would make the system much more consistent.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #1010 on: October 03, 2020, 08:01:44 AM »
Suggestion: make it less micro-intensive to load huge formations into troop transports.  I am currently trying to load a whole corps into troop transports.  The corps has 4 brigades.  Each brigade has 3 divisions.  Each division has 4 battalions.  For each one I have to click "Load Ground Formation", then the formation I want to load, then add move.  So that's 3 clicks per formation.  And the formation list is too long to fit in the list, so for about 3/4 of them, I have to scroll as well.  Worse yet, the formations don't all fit in the order queue, so it's very easy to lose track while I'm doing it.  There's also a gameplay problem; I have 14 transports, but I believe they only load one ground formation at a time.  My transports can hold 25000 tons, but I think the whole fleet waits while one transport loads one 5000 ton battalion at a time.

I propose two possible solutions.
  • 1: Make it like cargo fleets.  Fleets of freighters just all fill up somewhat intelligently.  Why can't cargo ships do that?  When issued to a fleet of mixed size, make them load the big units first, so you don't get a situation where a transport with 25000 ton capability picks up a 1000 ton boarding party that was actually meant for the boarding shuttle, and now it doesn't have room for the 25000 division.  Combine this with the ability to shift-click orders to issue them all at once to make it pretty much perfect.
  • Include transports in the formation window, and let us move formations with drag and drop, just like moving them from one population to another.

EDIT: I just found the "Load subordinates" checkbox.  I'd still like to see transports in the formation window, but it's no biggie.

There is already a checkbox to load a formation and all its subordinate formations, which should fix most of the issue. I think you have to select a formation first for it to appear. It took me a long time to spot it...

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #1011 on: October 08, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »
Random suggestion

Just as occasionally jump points can be found stabilized to suggest that once along time ago there was a spacefaring civilization that stabilized it; could planets rarely be found with Aestusium or Frigusium in the atmosphere hinting at ancient Terraforming attempts?

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, JacenHan, Barkhorn, DIT_grue, DEEPenergy, Zap0

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1012 on: October 08, 2020, 11:38:40 PM »
Bonus points if the gas is moving an extreme planet towards a less extreme temperature.  Maybe throw in some ruins as well.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1013 on: October 09, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
Allow infinite production cycles on the construction menu for all types of factories.

Would allow me to set a base rate of missile production and use the %industry in order to throttle it as needed.
Would allow me to constantly build additional infrastructure without having to return to it and change its production value.
Would allow me to set a rate of construction factory expansion without having to come back to the value.

The production order only stops when the player cancels it and makes it stop. Ofc it might also stall due to resource concerns.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1014 on: October 10, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »

+1, making ground facilities act like normal industry also means that on the UI they can be placed as a tab in the industrial construction menu. The tech already makes it so that each GUCF contributes a certain amount per cycle much like construction/ordnance/fighter factories. It would make the system much more consistent.

I think the difference is that current way allows you to rename units while producing or before working in a way similar to the shipyard tab. I guess that could be integrated eventually.

The number of factories then also act as tge slipways do in the shipyard allowing multiple units to be trained at same time, something probably not possible with the production mechanic and I would rather not lose.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 08:05:41 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1015 on: October 11, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
The number of factories then also act as tge slipways do in the shipyard allowing multiple units to be trained at same time, something probably not possible with the production mechanic and I would rather not lose.

You do not fully lose this ability with the normal construction process thanks to you being able to adjust production %. You could potentially be building 100 divisions in parallel with this. Granted with the current system you could potentially go more than that but I don't know how many people go over that.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1016 on: October 11, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »

You do not fully lose this ability with the normal construction process thanks to you being able to adjust production %. You could potentially be building 100 divisions in parallel with this. Granted with the current system you could potentially go more than that but I don't know how many people go over that.

You kinda do as they all operate at 100% while with your suggestion they do not.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1017 on: October 11, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »

You kinda do as they all operate at 100% while with your suggestion they do not.

You forget that with ground force facilities each unit can be produced at the max rate of 1 facility whereas in the construction menu the industrial capacity is aggregate.

1% of 200 facilities is still going to produce each of those 100 formations at double the rate that 1 facility at 100% will.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1018 on: October 11, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
Suggestion: Some kind of ELINT facility so I can drop listening posts in enemy territory and spy long-term.  This would be historically accurate, the Germans in WW2 had a listening post hidden on the east coast of Canada.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1019 on: October 11, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »

You forget that with ground force facilities each unit can be produced at the max rate of 1 facility whereas in the construction menu the industrial capacity is aggregate.

1% of 200 facilities is still going to produce each of those 100 formations at double the rate that 1 facility at 100% will.

true