Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272807 times)

Offline Anamori

• Leading Rate
  • A
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1095 on: November 15, 2020, 04:23:32 AM »
An expanded version of this has already been suggested here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11946.0

The inability of fighters to load/unload is a bug.

I posted about this problem few days before (Nov 07) at: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11545.msg142733#msg142733
Didn't noticed that attempt and nobody told me about post you linked before. Please feel free to ignore me then.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1096 on: November 15, 2020, 08:23:05 PM »
Suggestion for Conventional Starts:

The issue: presently in a conventional start it is not possible to build any of the following:
  • Missile fire controls or active sensors due to lack of EM Strength tech, which means no ship weapons are available.
  • Geosurvey sensors, meaning that colonization is essentially meaningless aside from civilian trade.
  • Troop transport modules, therefore ground units are stuck on their planet of origin permanently.
Obviously the solution to this is to immediately research, SM, or start with Trans-Newtonian Technology and unlock all of these things. However it would be nice to have the option of extended, meaningful play in the conventional era for RP purposes or to create a particular setup.

Suggestion: Enable EM Strength level 1, Geological Survey Sensors, and Troop Transport Modules to be researched without TN Tech. The EM Strength tech can be the existing 5-strength tech or a new (lower) conventional EM strength if preferred (the former is probably less work to implement).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:24:52 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1097 on: November 16, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
Or perhaps a conventional sensor that is, like conventional industry, a combination of all possibilities but way worse - so it'd be like 0.2 EM 0.2 TH 0.2 AS 0.4 Geo in a 50 HS package.

Alternatively, have conventional versions of all 4 sensors that require only wealth to build.

I would love to have a game where the first stage of interplanetary exploration (and primitive warfare) is done by fighter-sized vessels.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1098 on: November 16, 2020, 01:04:21 PM »
I think it also would be very, very nice, if all conventional-tech objects will reqire no TN mineral.
I would not change ballance, still would bring much flavour to slow-start campaings.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1099 on: November 16, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »
Or perhaps a conventional sensor that is, like conventional industry, a combination of all possibilities but way worse - so it'd be like 0.2 EM 0.2 TH 0.2 AS 0.4 Geo in a 50 HS package.
This would be nice. However, I suspect it would require more work for Steve to add a new component type and doesn't solve the problem of lacking a MFC.

The easy solution to the active sensor/MFC problem is to have a conventional EM Strength similar to conventional engine tech which is available at the start of the game. This would enable active/MFC sensors and I think should only require two lines in the DB - the EM Strength 10 tech would not even need to be changed since it has TN Tech as a prereq.

Alternatively, have conventional versions of all 4 sensors that require only wealth to build.

I would love to have a game where the first stage of interplanetary exploration (and primitive warfare) is done by fighter-sized vessels.
You can actually build thermal and EM sensors without a problem, although EM requires active signals to detect in order to be worth having. I'm fine with grav sensors being TN tech as they're locked behind JP Theory anyways, so Geo sensors are the missing link (along with active + MFC).

Conventional warfare with these limits would be an interesting tactical situation since not only are only missiles possible to build as weapons, but there are no magazines. Thus you'd have squadrons of box launcher-armed fighters taking runs at each other and fleeing back to a base to reload (ordnance transfer systems exist, but again with no magazines are functionally useless. Hangars are also not possible). There would be an interesting dynamic between building for missile payload, sensor range, speed/evasion, and armour on the shipbuilding side as well as trade-offs of speed/range/power on the missile side as usual, so there's certainly some play there.

The other cool feature would be a requirement for physical supply lines due to lack of mass drivers, offering tempting targets for space piracy and such. One thing I hadn't realized though was that colonization requires conventional industry due to lack of TN Mines, but a good RP setup can give a reason to relocate those from Earth anyways.

I think it also would be very, very nice, if all conventional-tech objects will reqire no TN mineral.
I would not change ballance, still would bring much flavour to slow-start campaings.

Presently in a conventional start you can still mine TN minerals, but very slowly due to the limits of conventional industry versus TN Mines. I think keeping the TN material requirements is good to promote a little bit of resource management in terms of not outpacing your slow pace of stockpiling.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:38:41 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1100 on: November 16, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
Well, the big problem is lack of Active Sensors of course. That's what kills conventional space war. It's now possible to have conventional ground war and actually have some granularity there thanks to 3 armour levels before Duranium. With the boost to the conventional engine that Steve gave us in C# there's lot more capability with conventional engines - heck I still only use them in my 1890 campaign! - but yeah the lack AS and MFC is the killer.

In a dream world, Steve would add a Conventional Rail Gun that fires only 1 shot instead of 4 and would be half the size of 10cm RG. Then there would be a Conventional Radar or Lidar that works as AS 5 (instead of AS 10 that comes with TN tech). As well as the 100-ton cargo hold for fighter-sized freighters.

That way I could RP a multi-faction Earth start where there are 3 distinct and separate game phases:
1. Exploration and expansion while the factions are unlocking the mysteries of transnewtonian stuff - ends with the discovery of TN-tech.
2. Exploitation of the Sol system as the factions become truly interplanetary with colonies and bases all over - ends with the discovery of Jump tech.
3. Now the factions get to transform into interstellar powers and conflict moves from Sol to other systems as well as aliens.

By the time I've finished my 1890 campaign and am ready to start a new one, Steve might have had the time and inspiration to add stuff like this! Man can hope  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Vasious, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1101 on: November 16, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
Active sensors, geo sensors, and troop transport bays...that might not actually be too hard to do with a few lines of DB modding, if I ever get around to trying a similar setup I might try it and see what's involved. The extra low-tier railgun would work by itself since BFCs and power plants are already possible without TN Tech.

That said, this is the suggestions thread and we've clearly made a suggestion, so I'll shut up now.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1102 on: November 16, 2020, 10:01:42 PM »
I'd personally favor the simplest possible approach, I don't think we really gain anything with a combined unit 'conventional' sensor other than a weird thing that deviates from the usual system and requires some kind of special code.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #1103 on: November 17, 2020, 12:54:29 AM »
Just to get it into this thread so it isn't forgotten: Platys51 suggests allowing shipyards to retool to a design containing prototype components.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, serger

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1104 on: November 19, 2020, 02:14:08 AM »
Exclude Alien Controlled Flag as default when a new ship is built.

I think that is the obvious choice while to put ship purposely in danger should be optional.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, nuclearslurpee

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1105 on: November 22, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »
I noticed that my engineers are busy playing archaeologists while assaulting Precursor positions. I think that it would be better if facility recovery was not possible while hostile forces are on the planet.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1106 on: November 22, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »
I noticed that my engineers are busy playing archaeologists while assaulting Precursor positions. I think that it would be better if facility recovery was not possible while hostile forces are on the planet.
Perhaps restrict that to only Precursor forces. I can imagine a situation with multiple armies fighting over ruins and having competing archaeologist teams racing to salvage stuff before the enemy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:37:59 PM by Garfunkel »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1107 on: November 24, 2020, 11:57:29 AM »
Change the starting age of new leaders to 30 or 35, or change "Age" to "Years of Service" and start from zero.

Starting a new game with a bunch of 20-year-old admirals and head scientists is just a tad unrealistic.  :P

Actually the dream would be to have years of service be separate from age and have the latter be SM-able for RP purposes, especially at game start, but that would require more coding so the simple change is probably preferable.

The following users thanked this post: serger, BAGrimm, Iestwyn

Offline Iestwyn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1108 on: November 24, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
Maybe have more then one tech for tugs. Instead of jumping straight to tractor beams, which seems like an advanced tech, there could be prerequisite techs with speed penalties.

I'm not great with naming, but maybe there could be "conventional hauling arms" at a 50% penalty, "trans-newtonian tug thrusters" at 75%, and then the tractor beams. I don't think it would make sense to have anything give bonus speed when tugging, but more experienced people may have better ideas.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1109 on: November 24, 2020, 04:52:24 PM »
Maybe have more then one tech for tugs. Instead of jumping straight to tractor beams, which seems like an advanced tech, there could be prerequisite techs with speed penalties.

I'm not great with naming, but maybe there could be "conventional hauling arms" at a 50% penalty, "trans-newtonian tug thrusters" at 75%, and then the tractor beams. I don't think it would make sense to have anything give bonus speed when tugging, but more experienced people may have better ideas.

Max tractor size would be interesting and could be done in a few different ways. Just having a plain absolute maximum would be kind of limiting and probably slow down the game economy too much, but either making it a multiple of the tug size or allowing multiple tractor modules with additive total tugging capacity. Doing both would be really interesting, i.e. each module lets you tug X% of the tug's mass, but that might be making things overly complicated. Personally I think the mass-per-module makes the most sense, physically a single tractor beam would have an upper limit of tugging capacity regardless of its mount.