Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 91677 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
I got this function error #899 when I entered the command telling this captured ship to "Absorb" another captured fleet at the same location. It may be because this fleet is set to 0 km/sec.

How did you get the speed to zero? Ships with no engines should default to 1 km/s to avoid divide by zero errors. If you set speed manually to zero then it should be corrected to 1.

It was a fuel harvester that the NPRs surrendered after I damaged it. I didn't modify the speed in any way, it was like that when I got it.

The zero speed was the problem, but I can't see a way for the code to generate that speed (although it did somehow). I've added some extra checks in case zero speed is set.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
I got some error messages reading "Function #1793: Attempted to divide by zero" while in combat with Rakhas. I think it's because one of my formations on front-line defense had zero elements: deleting the formation got rid of the error messages.

I think its a problem with a breakthrough by a zero-sized unit. I've already fixed it for v1.14.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »
Adding a cargo bay to specialized commercial vessels causes them to be considered a freighter for auto-assignment purposes.

This can be observed by loading up the default game in a fresh 1.13 install and immediately designing ships with the necessary components.

Adding a cargo bay to a commercial ship which mounts any of the below components will change its designation to 'i' which I presume is the obfuscated designation for a freighter type.
  • Cryogenic Transport (should be labeled as Colony Ship)
  • Jump Point Stabilisation Module (should be labeled as Stabilisation Ship)
  • Sorium Harvester (should be labeled as Fuel Harvester)
  • Orbital Mining Module (should be labeled as Orbital Miner)
  • Salvage Module (should be labeled as 'p' which I presume to be the obfuscated definition for a salvager type)
  • Terraforming Module (should be labeled as 'n' which I presume to be the obfuscated definition for a Terraformer type)
  • Troop Transport Bay (should be labeled as Troop Transport)

This may technically be WAD, however I am submitting this as a bug because this high priority placed on a cargo module interacts poorly with the auto-assignment system, which as documented elsewhere assigns commanders to Construction (Production skill), Terraformer (Terraforming skill), Harvester (Mining skill), Miner (Mining skill), and Salvage (Production skill) before assigning commanders with the Logistics skill to any other types of ships on the (broadly correct) assumption that any non-military ship not of these types will benefit from the Logistics bonus.

The priority placed on the cargo hold component over the other components listed above does not match the documented commander auto-assignment behavior.

This is likely to confuse and frustrate players trying to play with interesting ship designs. For example, salvage ships usually are built with cargo holds to store the salvaged materials, however this behavior will ensure that a Production-skilled commander will not be assigned to such a sensibly-designed salvager because the cargo hold will take priority and label the ship as a "freighter" instead. Similarly, the not-uncommon practice of including a cargo hold on an orbital miner to tote a mass driver between mining sites will cause orbital miners to have assigned a Logistics-skill commander instead of a Mining-skill one.

As a "bug fix" I would like to see the priority of cargo holds in determining the ship type for auto-assignment made consistent with the documented priority behavior of the commander auto-assignment system.

I've moved the freighter check below all the other types you mentioned.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, skoormit, nuclearslurpee

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
In Cadbury system, many years ago, I detected an alien ground force signature.
No population, no ships, just a small ground force signature.
My geo survey ship completed the survey without incident, and found alien ruins and a potential for a geological surface survey.

Unafraid of the ground forces, I sent in xeno troops (non-combat), and after a long time they completed their work and identified the ruins: a small site with just 7 installations.
I then sent in construction troops (non-combat), and over a period of many months (maybe years) they compleexcavated the ruins.
A long while later I sent in geo survey troops (also non-combat). They worked without incident for more than 3 years.
So, for many, many years, I had troops on the surface of this planet, and never had an incident with the alien ground forces.
I could still detect the signature, but otherwise there was no sign of them.

Just now, in Mabel system (5 hops away), a geo survey ship of mine was attacked and destroyed by unknown ships.
At the exact same time as this attack, the alien forces on Cadbury attacked my troops there (to disastrous effect for me, since mine were all non-combat).

I see no logical reason for the Cadbury aliens to suddenly become hostile to my non-combat forces because of something that happened five hops away.
So I'm reporting it as a bug. If this is WAI I can accept that, even if it is kind of a head scratcher.
DB is attached.

You didn't specifically mention it, but are the aliens in Cadbury a different race than the aliens five transits away?

I don't know, because I never saw the aliens five hops away. My ship was destroyed by unknown, unseen ships and STO weapons.
I neglected to add a thermal sensor to my geo survey ships, and now I pay the price.

However, I started the game with no NPRs, so I don't see how these two races could be the same race. They certainly didn't hop from Cadbury to Mabel without me seeing them. And they couldn't have grown from Mabel to Cadbury: Mabel didn't exist (i.e., I did not discover it) until years and years after Cadbury.

If they are both the same spoiler race, it is odd that one has ships and STO weapons but the other does not.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Giving names to the unnamed classes seemed to work--the next time I encountered a new class for this race, no errors occurred.

Sidenote: You can use the null-conditional operator (as of C# 6) to avoid these types of runtime errors. I only learned about this last year. My coworkers pointed it out after they found my obsessive null-checking amusing.  ::)

I have plenty of null checks in the code, but didn't bother with ClassName as it is a string data type. That is the first time I have ever had a bug in C# Aurora caused by a value type (string, int, double, etc.) being null. Something extremely odd must have happened to cause it. Anyway, it now has a null check :)

The only out of the ordinary thing that happened in this scenario is that I changed the name theme for the race at some point after the first two classes were named.
Doesn't seem like that's likely to cause a problem, but it might be a code path that has not been thoroughly traveled.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »
I don't know, because I never saw the aliens five hops away. My ship was destroyed by unknown, unseen ships and STO weapons.
I neglected to add a thermal sensor to my geo survey ships, and now I pay the price.

However, I started the game with no NPRs, so I don't see how these two races could be the same race. They certainly didn't hop from Cadbury to Mabel without me seeing them. And they couldn't have grown from Mabel to Cadbury: Mabel didn't exist (i.e., I did not discover it) until years and years after Cadbury.

If they are both the same spoiler race, it is odd that one has ships and STO weapons but the other does not.

I am guessing, but I think what happened was as follows
  • Cadbury population is Rakhas but doesn't have either STO weapons or tracking stations.
  • You land in Cadbury but the Rakhas don't detect your ground forces and therefore don't have an alien race record for your race.
  • Mabel population is also Rakhas but this one does have STO weapons.
  • Mabel population detects your survey ship and destroys it with STO weapons.
  • Rakhas now have an alien race record and classes you as hostile
  • Rakhas in Cadbury launch an assault because they now know you exist and ground combat doesn't actually need a sensor contact
I'll add at least one tracking station to Rakhas to prevent that situation (assuming my guess is correct).

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, skoormit, Ancalagon

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »
This checkbox toggle seems to apply to all fleets, instead of the single fleet. I'm not sure if it's intended or not. "Auto-Include Lagrange Points" also applies to all fleets instead of just the individual fleet selected. I assume these also affect Standing Orders auto-routing (and not just manual auto-routing), in which case this is definitely a bug, since sometimes the player would want different routing logic for different fleets.

To reproduce:
1) Select a fleet.
2) Check or uncheck one of these two checkboxes.
3) Select a different fleet, and see that the option you chose persists (even after 'refreshing'--it's not just visual)

SJW: Changed Assume Jump-Capable to Fleet-specific
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:09:30 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2021, 06:33:29 PM »
When you reopen the Naval Organizations window, whichever fleet was last selected does not show anything when you look at the Standing Orders tab. I notice this fairly often when dealing with salvagers, jump gate constructors, and surveyors since I modify their standing or conditional orders depending on the situation.

To reproduce:
1) Open the Naval Org window, and select a fleet.
2) Select some Standing Orders (or conditional orders)
3) Close the Naval Org window.
4) Reopen Naval Org window.
5) Click the "Standing Orders" tab, and see that it visually does not show its current orders until you click away to another fleet and reselect this one.

Thanks for all your hard work, Steve! :)

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:20:16 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
Got what seemed like a couple hundred errors during system generation jumping into a new JP. Function #2608, #222, #224, #2339 in that order, and then repeating. Over and over.

According to a quick peek in the database, this is a new NPR (not a spoiler race) and they have been generated with the "pre-industrial" flag.

Edit: So, I don't know if this is intended or not, but when I approached their planet I discovered that they have two separate empires for the same NPR race on the planet. I'm only detecting STO and ground forces for one of them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:27:24 AM by Ancalagon »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2021, 09:29:02 PM »
For some reason, the below orders give a "Transit Failure - cannot carry out a squadron transit as there is no available jump drive capable" error in the game log.

For clarity, the orders below are to:
1) Jump back through "JP2 Sabbat" that the ship is already sitting right on.
2) And then travel through "J3: Unex" in the system of Sabbat.

When I push the "30 days" button, a single sub-pulse of 6 hours is executed, and the Transit Failure message appears. I got the message one time and then deleted order #2 above. When I pushed the 30-day button again, the ship successfully transited. (The ship was not damaged at any time. Its jump drive was fully functional.)

I remember having this bug on previous versions of C#. I didn't do much troubleshooting this time, but I seem to recall it having something to do with interval length or subpulse length?

https://i.imgur.com/aRqYX4I.png
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:59:49 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2021, 09:48:37 PM »
For some reason, the below orders give a "Transit Failure - cannot carry out a squadron transit as there is no available jump drive capable" error in the game log.

When I push the "30 days" button, a single sub-pulse of 6 hours is executed, and the Transit Failure message appears. I got the message one time and then deleted order #2 above. When I pushed the 30-day button again, the ship successfully transited. (The ship was not damaged at any time. Its jump drive was fully functional.)

I remember having this bug on previous versions of C#. I didn't do much troubleshooting this time, but I seem to recall it having something to do with interval length or subpulse length?

This is WAI. After a jump, some systems need to come back online before they can be used. This includes active sensors, fire controls, and jump engines.

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2021, 09:59:09 PM »

This is WAI. After a jump, some systems need to come back online before they can be used. This includes active sensors, fire controls, and jump engines.

Oops. It was almost certainly this! Thank you.

Offline 01010100

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »
That is the first time I have ever had a bug in C# Aurora caused by a value type (string, int, double, etc.) being null.

string isn't a value type, value types can not be null, only reference types can be null. String is basically just an alias for char[] but with some special handling, in particular whenever you have two strings that are the same they'll both refer to the same internal char[].

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #313 on: May 22, 2021, 12:22:56 AM »
Maybe this is working as intended, i don't know.

I you cancel a ship yard task before it start when it is still at 0.0% if you use already build component you lose them even if you cancel the task before the fit turn.

SJW: WAI. Once you create a task and use up components, they are lost.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:52:42 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2021, 03:59:25 AM »
I've moved the freighter check below all the other types you mentioned.

Would like to add another case that I think was not listed in OP. If you have a diplomatic ship and add some ELINT modules - it becomes an intelligent ship for auto-assign purposes. I would move that check below as well as it is quite common for diplomatic ships to also include ELINT modules I think, but they should not be considered dedicated intel ships in this case.

SJW: Changed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:53:33 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee