Author Topic: Suggestions for 5.7 and beyond  (Read 20050 times)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Suggestions for 5.7 and beyond
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »
yeah, they are good for that. I'd probably like them more if they could move other things (minerals, missiles, etc.)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
Offensive Tractoring

Gravity wave focusing enables the long-range gravitational tethering of ships.  The tech line is designed to enable beam-warships to trap and tether ships outside the combat range, slowing them in much the same way that a black hole interacts with non-newtonian technology.

The technology could also be used by missile ships to play "keep away" on beam ships-- shaving their precious speed advantages.

Example:  A class 1 offensive tractor would slow the target ship by 1000 km/s. 

Range would have to be considered.  I was thinking the 20-50 m/km range to give beam ships a middling way to project power over long ranges. 

Power Requirements:  I'm thinking these babies should be a huge draw on power.  This would prevent people from plopping a class 10 megatractor on every ship in the fleet-- you need a big heavy tractor, plus a big heavy powerplant to run the thing continuously.  No capacitors, because the weapon needs a continuous power supply.

Finally, you know you want this, because
BOARDING OPERATIONS
Nuff said.

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
Offensive Tractoring

Gravity wave focusing enables the long-range gravitational tethering of ships.  The tech line is designed to enable beam-warships to trap and tether ships outside the combat range, slowing them in much the same way that a black hole interacts with non-newtonian technology.

The technology could also be used by missile ships to play "keep away" on beam ships-- shaving their precious speed advantages.

Range would have to be considered.  I was thinking the 20-50 m/km range to give beam ships a middling way to project power over long ranges. 

Power Requirements:  I'm thinking these babies should be a huge draw on power.  This would prevent people from plopping a class 10 megatractor on every ship in the fleet-- you need a big heavy tractor, plus a big heavy powerplant to run the thing continuously.  No capacitors, because the weapon needs a continuous power supply.

BOARDING OPERATIONS
Nuff said.

This seems like a cool tech line, especially when you consider that with technology like that you could likely create a force beam ala starfire, incredibly small aperature so only one armor square, but extremely large, powerful and VERY close range. but requiring fairly high technology levels as well as being extremely power intensive.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
Offensive Tractoring

BOARDING OPERATIONS
Nuff said.

Viable against ships only? Or could I smack a missile salvo with this, making my interception chances better?

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
Crews should gain experience while in combat, not just when recieving damage...maybe make it when they fire too or something. Seems rough that i can kill enemies and get no crew xp but i can let them pound me and get some.

-Five

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
A few friends and I were discussing the possibility of rudimentary ground-unit design. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but I was thinking potentially you might design a ground unit in the same way you design a ship component and the like. It would add some flavour to ground combat rather than having generic "infantry battalions" and "assault infantry battalions".

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
Auto fire: Would be nice to be able to place only certain weapons on autofire.
Example: Bismark class BB. 4 Double 12" laser turrets for anti shipping and 8 single 6" laser all target cannons.
When I order the big guns to fire on enemy ships, they will engage missiles first and only if there is no missile they will fire at they enemy ship I want them to kill....
Maybe a auto fire box at each fire control, or a system were you place groups of weapons with specific orders and then give them a autofire box.
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2012, 05:21:50 AM »
Auto fire: Would be nice to be able to place only certain weapons on autofire.
Example: Bismark class BB. 4 Double 12" laser turrets for anti shipping and 8 single 6" laser all target cannons.
When I order the big guns to fire on enemy ships, they will engage missiles first and only if there is no missile they will fire at they enemy ship I want them to kill....
Maybe a auto fire box at each fire control, or a system were you place groups of weapons with specific orders and then give them a autofire box.

Auto fire isn't really intended for player usage. If I remember correctly it's there for use by the AI, and players are allowed to use it as well for kicks.

Although it would be nice to see it get improved so that the AI is a bit more deadly in larger engagements.

Offline MehMuffin

• M
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
Viable against ships only? Or could I smack a missile salvo with this, making my interception chances better?
It seems that the strength of the tractor would degrade with the speed of the object/you need tracking speed to use it, because slowing down a missile moving at 50kps is a much more difficult matter than a ship moving at 5kps.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2012, 02:57:18 AM »
#1) Civilian shipping is, by far, the most annoying thing in Aurora. I frequently want to launch guided missile attacks on my civilian shipping....that's how much it annoys me. Trade and commerce is usually my favorite part of strategy games (I'm a peace freak) but in Aurora, it ads very little and takes a whole heck of a lot: every system is crowded with blue dots I have absolutely no control over, and they don't seem to contribute very much. Honestly, if they all exploded, would it hurt my empire at all?  Civilian shipping needs to be more fun: perhaps slightly more interactive or at least cooler to study.
Well, you can just change the display setting and you wont see the civilian blue dots at all. I personally find that civilians do add quite a lot. They generate a noticeable amount of wealth, and more importantly, they provide a significant source of infrastructure for free. From a meta-point of view they also somewhat reduce the need for colonist-micromanagement.

But yeah, one of the greatest issues of the game is performance, and civilian shipping lines are one of the culprits as it seems. I could happily live with the minor drawbacks of a no-civilian lines option if that allows the game to run more smoothly. At any rate, the announced changes mean there will be less civilian traffic around, since obsolete ships now get scrapped after a while. So just maybe we will have some better performance then.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »
Steve.

an very need useful info r: where is and how much amount of them of: minerals in every Colony are reserved on surface? (MINED obviously..NOT below surface:...we have a perfect minerals Report window)

Improve ore transport for taskgroup in and out.
Better management in war and know where,when ,how much.
WE need to know where is mineral colony depot and amount for everyone around.

Apologize my poor english.Hope r understandable.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Do you mean the Stockpile?

Offline Sloshmonger

• S
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
Steve.

an very need useful info r: where is and how much amount of them of: minerals in every Colony are reserved on surface? (MINED obviously..NOT below surface:...we have a perfect minerals Report window)

Improve ore transport for taskgroup in and out.
Better management in war and know where,when ,how much.
WE need to know where is mineral colony depot and amount for everyone around.

Apologize my poor english.Hope r understandable.

Do you mean a window with something like:

Duranium: 1,000 -
    Earth: 1,000
Neutronium: 1,200 +
Corbomite: 2,835,520 -
    Earth: 58,000
    Mars: 6,710
etc...

If so, I'd also like that... maybe an option to exclude reserve levels, so you'd only see what is available for immediate transport.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »

Do you mean a window with something like:

Duranium: 1,000 -
    Earth: 1,000
Neutronium: 1,200 +
Corbomite: 2,835,520 -
    Earth: 58,000
    Mars: 6,710
etc...

yes srry damn..horrible english:))

"Stockpile" on Colony surface yes!

ive been missed this useful info..am fear we havent those info..
If so, I'd also like that... maybe an option to exclude reserve levels, so you'd only see what is available for immediate transport.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Yes please, that would be excellent!