Author Topic: Beginner war questions  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Kirkegaard (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
Beginner war questions
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:27:26 AM »
Hey,

I have some problems with the entire war aspect. It seems there is a lot of micro management.

1) Is there a way to auto assign Fire controls to every weapon for instance so it is always so from they are build?

2) Is there a easy way to load missiles on a ship?

3) Should I put auto fire on? And can it be done for all ships at once?

4) When In war it seems all my ships are shooting on the same target. So the war always ends up with the enemy and me loose one ship pr. round. That can't be the correct way?

Regards
Kirkegaard

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: Beginner war questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Using that little combat overview screen (the target button)- Assign one ship, then copy assign across race.

Reload ordinance from a colony or a collier, using the fleet commands. (You need to design a ship with a large magazine and designate it as a collier.)

Don't use autofire. It's mainly for AI and doesn't optimize.

There's a great little button on the far right of the combat overview called "Multiple Targets (Same Loc)" which assigns a different target at the same location to each ship in the task group. It's very handy.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Kirkegaard (OP)

• K
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »
Thank you, is looking forward to try it all out :)

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
If you assign a default load-out to the ship's class, not only will it try to load that from planetary stockpiles upon building, but you can give it a reload at colony order to refill the magazines.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »
If you assign a default load-out to the ship's class, not only will it try to load that from planetary stockpiles upon building, but you can give it a reload at colony order to refill the magazines.
Like this:

The "load ships" button on the ship class screen is an SM-style cheat way of doing it, it gives you free missiles IIRC.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:51:37 AM by Person012345 »

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Redshirt link=topic=5215. msg53362#msg53362 date=1345130088
Using that little combat overview screen (the target button)- Assign one ship, then copy assign across race.

Reload ordinance from a colony or a collier, using the fleet commands. (You need to design a ship with a large magazine and designate it as a collier. )

Don't use autofire.  It's mainly for AI and doesn't optimize.

There's a great little button on the far right of the combat overview called "Multiple Targets (Same Loc)" which assigns a different target at the same location to each ship in the task group.  It's very handy.

Slightly OT, does a ship need a large magazine to have other ships reload from it, or can it just have a bunch of missiles sitting in a cargo bay instead?

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
Slightly OT, does a ship need a large magazine to have other ships reload from it, or can it just have a bunch of missiles sitting in a cargo bay instead?
Cargo bays cannot hold missiles. Missiles can only be transported using magazines.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:53:49 AM »
Cargo bays cannot hold missiles. Missiles can only be transported using magazines.
Or in missile launchers (much less efficient and certainly not practical for a collier)

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
Quote from: Theokrat link=topic=5215. msg53388#msg53388 date=1345182829
Or in missile launchers (much less efficient and certainly not practical for a collier)

Oh the other hand, with a single fire control, it would make a MEAN alpha strike. . .
(Picture the arrow storm from 300, only with nuclear missiles)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »
Oh the other hand, with a single fire control, it would make a MEAN alpha strike. . .
(Picture the arrow storm from 300, only with nuclear missiles)

Box Launchers.  

(I hate it when I type too fast and then don't proof before posting) DOH
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:45:13 AM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Box Lauunchers. 

Box Lauuuuuuuncherrrrs in Spaaaaaaace :)

Offline Kirkegaard (OP)

• K
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:35:46 AM »
What is a box luncher? :)

Offline ShadowLop

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
Quote from: Kirkegaard link=topic=5215. msg53405#msg53405 date=1345214146
What is a box luncher? :)

Keeps your crew fed.
Also holds sandwiches to offer NPR ships you meet.  Lots of explodey sandwiches.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
Meh. My survey ships carry specialized missiles so they can diplomatically greet new alien population centers with fruit baskets. Tasty tasty fruit baskets.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
I've discovered the joy of fighter-bombers. One carrier, 20 bombers, each with 4 long range (at least 50m km) ASM box launchers. Don't even need to send the bombers anywhere- just have them pile out, all launch simultaneously, and pile back on into the mothership. With a CO that has a high fighter ops rating on your carrier, the bombers will be reloaded and ready for another salvo by the time the first one hits.

(Keep some escourts with AMM launchers near the carrier, just in case- not only can they shoot down enemy missiles, but they work well against fighters and beam FAC, too.)

Build multiple carrier groups. Your first strike gets even bigger. Any enemy fleet with enough AMM to shoot down 60 salvos at once is probably an enemy fleet you should avoid.
Living up to my username. . .