Author Topic: Matters of Galactic Exploration  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Xaoc (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • X
Matters of Galactic Exploration
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:12:45 AM »
Now, I've been focusing on exploration in my latest tutorial game and I just explored a previously unexplored jump point and it lead back to a system I had previously encountered. Fair enough, but the latter system didn't have any unexplored jump points and I had completed the gravitational survey of that system. Now Procyon has an additional jump point in addition to the 2 that I had previously uncovered. Is this a bug or feature? I read somewhere on the forum that dormant jump points were no longer in the game.
I assume that (JG) after a jump point means that that jump point has a jump gate? Ross 128 and WX Ursae Majoris are connected by such a jump point in my game and I haven't built any jump gates and there are no aliens around. Do jump gates occur randomly without outside interference as relics of ages past?
Are the distances between systems arbitrarily assigned according to the system IDs or are they determined by actual positions on a 3D map? Also, what are the units of distance displayed on the galaxy map?
Any tips on drawing Galaxy maps? I'm trying my best to make my galaxy map a coherent as possible, but its hard to represent the distances between the systems and the systems with 6-8 jump points aren't making things easy. The sheer number of systems and the interconnections between them is making my map a mess...
Space is empty, huh? I'm playing without precursors and a 30% NPR occurrence rate, but I haven't met a single one after exploring 50 systems. How many Aliens should I expect and when should I expect to find them? I know they occur on earth-like planets with oxygen and methane.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Matters of Galactic Exploration
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
1.)  Dormant jump points still exist. What is going on is basically fluff to describe something that the game needs to function.  When  a new jump point is explored the computer generates a random number for the destination system.  If that system already exists it checks to see if any jump points remain that do not have a destionation.  If so then it connects to one of those. If however all existing jump points go somewhere (ie have been explored) it creates a new jump point.  Once created it can be found by either observing a ship transiting, or by resurveying the system.  This is different from Starfire where this program originated in that a "dormant jump point" was never detectable by surveying, only by watching a ship go through it.

2.) Yes, JG after a a jump point means that there is a jump gate installed, and yes they can appear randomly.

3.)  There is no actual distance between systems on the system map display.  The best tip I can give you is try to use some system that makes sense to you.  I usually start with the home system in the center and have it's jump point connected systems radiating outwards.  And yes there will be some strange connections that make a mess of the map.  Good luck.

4.)  It is not so much the number of systems that you have explored that says whether or not you should find aliens, but how many habitable planets in those systems there are.  The requirements are fairly tight and only a fraction of the planets will be habitable from the start.  Just for example any planet with toxic gasses will not even be considered for aliens.  The grav range is fairly tight, IIRC about .5-1.5 G, ect.  There is a thread somewhere on the forumn where Steve gives the formula's sometime this year.

Brian