Author Topic: Graphic improvement - Ships and missles  (Read 4258 times)

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
Re: Graphic improvement - Ships and missles
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
Yes but nothing too complicated like the present dot sized triangle, square etc. Just geometric shapes.

As far as iconography's concerned, it should be distilled to the essentials, identifiable at a glance.

From my point of view, including unicode shape suggestions, we're talking about:

*The basic filled circle character is a bit too small.

These would be coloured following the current palette (blue player, red enemy, etc.). There could be multiple types of vessels within a same location, but the icon pertaining to the majority should prevail.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Had to host a screenshot of my proposal since apparently the forum isn't quite Unicode.

This style, I liked very much.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
For the fleets, I'll be happy to have an option to see it's flag rank symbol.

The following users thanked this post: Mark Yanning

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »
Yeah, replacing the dots with text glyphs would be fantastic. Bonus points if we can configure them by fleet, too, or at the very least select what glyphs get used for what categories.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:40 PM »
IMO the icons are great but with hostile contacts you don't always know the exact type of ship it is - especially with statics. There probably should be an "unidentified" icon as well.

The following users thanked this post: Ri0Rdian, Mark Yanning

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
IMO the icons are great but with hostile contacts you don't always know the exact type of ship it is - especially with statics. There probably should be an "unidentified" icon as well.

This could be handled with color, as well. Something similar to the color system used by Command Modern Operations for designating bogeys, bandits, allied, neutral, etc.

The following users thanked this post: muzzlehead, Scud, Warer

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »
Shadow's proposal is very good - having the option to add icons yourself in addition would be nice, but that could easily be a pain to manage, so simplicity is good.

The following users thanked this post: consiefe

Offline mergele

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
If it#s hostile it just all get's the "hostile military vessel" as default, missiles as such.  There are more developed possibilities but I think that'd may well be overcomplicating things.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
But you can already prefix all your fleets names with Unicode symbols ...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »
A different shaped, but similar-sized, icon might not be too bad I'll look into it at the weekend to see how easy it would be to implement and what effect it would have on performance. There is also the complication that different types of fleets would be in the same location, plus system bodies, so there would need to be some order of preference for which icon was displayed. System body should probably have the highest preference or they would disappear when a fleet was in the same location.

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
A different shaped, but similar-sized, icon might not be too bad I'll look into it at the weekend to see how easy it would be to implement and what effect it would have on performance. There is also the complication that different types of fleets would be in the same location, plus system bodies, so there would need to be some order of preference for which icon was displayed. System body should probably have the highest preference or they would disappear when a fleet was in the same location.

Yes, they might be ordered like system body > stations&static > military fleet > commercial fleet > missiles.

The following users thanked this post: Shadow

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

Yes, they might be ordered like system body > stations&static > military fleet > commercial fleet > missiles.

I concur!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »
If theres stacked icons you could display a + next to the symbol that has priority, clicking on that expands out the list of other symbols. or displaying every symbol as well , to its right could be an option.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 05:41:15 AM »
Yeah this is a great idea. The previous idea that Steve employed didn't because of the background and relatively massive size. You would certainly icons that need to be differentiable at small sizes though.

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 06:23:31 AM »
Ive been experimenting with various fonts and labels. some of which would cover this and leave the exact icons to the player to choose.... But... the labels dont attach to the systems and so on the many rearanges to the map theres a lot of labels to move.

So, could we attach labels to systems located at 6 or 8 points around it that were dragged with it?

Edit: I guess everyone else is talking about the tactical map and I was talking about the galactic map, but perhaps a rightclick to anchor a label to a body would allow players to decide what wingding to attach to the tactical map too. Even waypoints could have additional notes attached.  More than 16 set colours please.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:25:28 AM by stabliser »

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 05:12:52 AM »
I don't like the first two suggestions, too comprehensive. Player's ultimately decide what constitutes a Frigate or a Destroyer and may well decide to name their gulls "Ragglsnufts RGL-S" and "Ingiwiggz IG-WZ" or some other non-sense... more like "Assault Carriers", "Heavy Battlecruisers" and such, but the point is the symbols being tied to nomenclature is a bad idea for Aurora specifically.

I looked at the provided screenshots from Aurora II, and yeah, that'll clutter up right quick. Having the symbols scale down as you zoom out, eventually becoming dots after a certain point and then scaling back up as you zoom in might be one way to solve that. No idea how you could implement it though... or how hard that might be to implement.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage