Author Topic: Aim Waypoints and Auto-Waypoints - reducing probe micro  (Read 1350 times)

Offline SerBeardian (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Aim Waypoints and Auto-Waypoints - reducing probe micro
« on: October 12, 2020, 06:31:05 AM »
I would like to suggest two additions to waypoints that would make survey probes and scout probes significantly less micro.

1) Similar to a POI, a waypoint that disappears once a missile arrives at it. You would drop one of these on whatever body you want to launch a probe or salvo at, lock target, and then you don't have to manually delete a standard waypoint once the probe arrives and does whatever it's doing.

2) A button to add a waypoint of a type to every planet in the system. You press it, it prompts you for a waypoint type, then it would create a waypoint of that type on every major planet in the system (orbiting a star). This would avoid needing to manually drop a waypoint onto every planet you want to probe.

Alternative would just be to let us aim at stellar bodies directly, though that would definitely need to have a toggle to filter it out so you don't have hundreds of stellar bodes in the target list...

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
Re: Aim Waypoints and Auto-Waypoints - reducing probe micro
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
Big yes vote from me. I was going to suggest almost exactly this.

The main thing I would change/add is for #2:

I would rather have a button on the System Generation and Display window. My geo-probe ship design calls for just launching buoys/probes at a selection of the most promising planets in a system, so this is what I am usually looking at to choose planets to survey before I have to go and find them and manually waypoint them on the map. A "Place Waypoint" button on the System Generation window that dropped a waypoint at the selected body would be perfect for me.

FYI:
1) Similar to a POI, a waypoint that disappears once a missile arrives at it.
I need to double check this in my new game, but I think normal waypoints actually disappear along with a probe once the probe/buoy has finished surveying.

Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

The following users thanked this post: TheTalkingMeowth