Author Topic: Let's play on Youtube  (Read 22963 times)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Let's play on Youtube
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
Regarding Sector Commands and Improved Command and Control.

Even if you only have one system, it is generally a good idea to research this and build the sector command. This allows you to assign a sector governor who provides a bit of his bonus (25% I think) to all colonies in that sector.

I know. I just calculated the cost/effect and I intend to do that one after the mineral situation is stabilized - at that point it will give the bonus to more than one place and that will make it worth. When do you usually build it?
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
I know. I just calculated the cost/effect and I intend to do that one after the mineral situation is stabilized - at that point it will give the bonus to more than one place and that will make it worth. When do you usually build it?

Since one of the first things I do is build off planet colonies on Mars, Io, etc. it is usually a priority for me. I'd say at anytime you have more than one colony.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
Since one of the first things I do is build off planet colonies on Mars, Io, etc. it is usually a priority for me. I'd say at anytime you have more than one colony.

Ha, then we are in agreement! :) I have a plan regarding this around three and more colonies!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
I checked the wiki and that is in contratiction to what it says... Quote: "The higher the team's skill, the more likely it is that they will find extra minerals and the less likely it is that they will give up after each find."

The definitive answer
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4791.30.html

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
Ok... here is my first "coastal" ship for colony protection in Sol system.

Code: [Select]
Wolf Mk1 class Corvette    2,350 tons     43 Crew     159.5 BP      TCS 47  TH 60  EM 0
1276 km/s     Armour 2-15     Shields 0-0     Sensors 3/5/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 15
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 470%    IFR 6.5%    1YR 25    5YR 368    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.5 months    Spare Berths 1    

SDN-A04/01  Nuclear Thermal Stardrive (3)    Power 20    Fuel Use 96%    Signature 20    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 1.6 billion km   (14 days at full power)

LS-10-01  10cm Infrared Laser (5)    Range 30,000km     TS: 1276 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 1    ROF 10        3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
BFC-x30-x1250  Main Laser-array Fire-control (1)    Max Range: 60,000 km   TS: 1250 km/s     83 67 50 33 17 0 0 0 0 0
PP-02-05  Pressurised Water Reactor (6)     Total Power Output 12    Armour 0    Exp 5%

ASS-020/2.2  Graviton Search Sensor (1)     GPS 200     Range 2.2m km    Resolution 20
TH-x03-05  Thermal Sensor System (1)     Sensitivity 3     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  3m km
EM-x05-05  EM Detection System (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

The Wolf class corvette does have its flaws and strengths. It can operate completely individually and can function as a patrol or reconnaissance ship within about 500-750m km from its base. Though, it does not have any maintenance facilities on-board so it is prone to system failures if operated more than a couple of days from its base (5+ days). This could be remedied by adding an engineering section to the ship but I chose not to in this case. I would, however, add a smaller one once that was researched but a normal one is overkill and the chance for failure is sort of acceptable for the ships purposes.
It has a decent PPV for its cost at 160BP and 15PPV. A few of these can provide security for colonies with about 500m people.
The ship obviously have no defence what so ever against missiles, but at this stage missiles in space was not even considered plausible since ships move so fast they are practically impossible to hit. This is obviously an error and later corvettes will sport dual purpose turreted laser guns.

Usually at tech level 4-5 I have technology enough to advance my corvettes into more self sufficient platforms. They will usually be much bigger, perhaps around 4000t and be missile based with at least one turreted multi-purpose laser for defence and a small 250t boat bay with a pinnace for remote sensing and reconnaissance. They are not meant to actually engage large enemy groups but more act as small scouting platforms with some offensive power. The main difference between my corvettes and frigates are their range an deployment times, frigates will be slightly larger and are long range patrol and reconnaissance ships. Able to operate with battle-groups and in systems other than which they are stationed in and might even operate with tenders for even more extended missions.

Some other tips you "might" not know about...

• One thing that I saw in your video I would like to give you a tip about is that you should tick the "Conscript" box for commercial ships or any ships without weapons for that matter. You don't really want to put combat trained personel on non combat ships, yo are just wasting trained crew from your academies for nothing.
  • Another tip is that you should check out the "Production Overview" screen. That is the eighth button from the right on the main screen. This screen give you a very good overview of all your colonies and project you have going. As long as you only have Earth to worry about it's easy to keep everything in your head, but later on this screen is very helpful.
  • Troops on a planets do not give you PPV value, they will police the planet and increase morale if you become overcrowded and the PPV value of your naval forces is too low in the system. If you are anything like me then your colonies will grow faster than you anticipate and start demanding protection before you actually provided them with any.
  • Don't build missiles to early. Missiles need quite alot of research to be close to effective in the early game. I rarely go for missiles until I reach an average of tech level 3 and I start with offensive missiles first and AMM missiles at the next level. I mostly rely on defensive strategies until then. Doing any sort of offensive operation before tech level 3-4 will generally be futile.  ;)
  • Look into developing tractor beams and Tugs so you can build large harvesters and asteroid mining stations. These stations are quite resource efficient in the long run.
  • Be careful of using reduced thermal engines in the beginning of the game. Your ships will usually have very small thermal signatures since they are both slow and small. I usually reserve this technology to either very large military ships or fast pure recon/scout ships. Reduced thermal engines will make your engines very expensive and hard to refit later on because of it.

In regard to civilian ships you might want to show the "Wealth tab" of the "Economy" screen and the "Shipping Line" screen. Explain that civilian ships will automatically go around and satisfy supply and demand of produced civilian goods. Also note that your civilian population actually produce infrastructure and as colonies demand infrastructure civilian ships will automatically send surplus from one colony to the demand of growing colonies. In many cases you will not have to provide the infrastructure yourself and it will save you some precious Duranium and production capacity.

I also don't think that you showed the Wealth tab so far at all and how wealth also is an important resource in the game, I might be mistaken there though...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:09:39 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »
Some notes on fighters...

With the change introduced in version 6 you can actually build fighters in the early game, but they are usually not very good. I find that I only use the small 500t or below crafts as recon before I reach an average tech level of about 4. Before that they are not really worth the investment in research needed, at least this is in my humble opinion. The reason is the amount of research you need to make them viable as a fighting platform (with all the support) versus all the more important stuff you need to research before then.

I usually go the more traditional transition of beam weapon ships to missile ships and then to carrier based warfare. Carriers are "probably" the most potent type of ship in Aurora based on how dynamic they are as a fighting platform.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2013, 03:08:44 AM »
Ok... here is my first "coastal" ship for colony protection in Sol system.

Wolf Mk1 class Corvette    2,350 tons     43 Crew     159.5 BP      TCS 47  TH 60  EM 0
1276 km/s     Armour 2-15     Shields 0-0     Sensors 3/5/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 15
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 470%    IFR 6.5%    1YR 25    5YR 368    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.5 months    Spare Berths 1    

SDN-A04/01  Nuclear Thermal Stardrive (3)    Power 20    Fuel Use 96%    Signature 20    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 1.6 billion km   (14 days at full power)

LS-10-01  10cm Infrared Laser (5)    Range 30,000km     TS: 1276 km/s     Power 3-2     RM 1    ROF 10        3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
BFC-x30-x1250  Main Laser-array Fire-control (1)    Max Range: 60,000 km   TS: 1250 km/s     83 67 50 33 17 0 0 0 0 0
PP-02-05  Pressurised Water Reactor (6)     Total Power Output 12    Armour 0    Exp 5%

ASS-020/2.2  Graviton Search Sensor (1)     GPS 200     Range 2.2m km    Resolution 20
TH-x03-05  Thermal Sensor System (1)     Sensitivity 3     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  3m km
EM-x05-05  EM Detection System (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

The Wolf class corvette does have its flaws and strengths. It can operate completely individually and can function as a patrol or reconnaissance ship within about 500-750m km from its base. Though, it does not have any maintenance facilities on-board so it is prone to system failures if operated more than a couple of days from its base (5+ days). This could be remedied by adding an engineering section to the ship but I chose not to in this case. I would, however, add a smaller one once that was researched but a normal one is overkill and the chance for failure is sort of acceptable for the ships purposes.
It has a decent PPV for its cost at 160BP and 15PPV. A few of these can provide security for colonies with about 500m people.
The ship obviously have no defence what so ever against missiles, but at this stage missiles in space was not even considered plausible since ships move so fast they are practically impossible to hit. This is obviously an error and later corvettes will sport dual purpose turreted laser guns.

Usually at tech level 4-5 I have technology enough to advance my corvettes into more self sufficient platforms. They will usually be much bigger, perhaps around 4000t and be missile based with at least one turreted multi-purpose laser for defence and a small 250t boat bay with a pinnace for remote sensing and reconnaissance. They are not meant to actually engage large enemy groups but more act as small scouting platforms with some offensive power. The main difference between my corvettes and frigates are their range an deployment times, frigates will be slightly larger and are long range patrol and reconnaissance ships. Able to operate with battle-groups and in systems other than which they are stationed in and might even operate with tenders for even more extended missions.

Some other tips you "might" not know about...

• One thing that I saw in your video I would like to give you a tip about is that you should tick the "Conscript" box for commercial ships or any ships without weapons for that matter. You don't really want to put combat trained personel on non combat ships, yo are just wasting trained crew from your academies for nothing.
  • Another tip is that you should check out the "Production Overview" screen. That is the eighth button from the right on the main screen. This screen give you a very good overview of all your colonies and project you have going. As long as you only have Earth to worry about it's easy to keep everything in your head, but later on this screen is very helpful.
  • Troops on a planets do not give you PPV value, they will police the planet and increase morale if you become overcrowded and the PPV value of your naval forces is too low in the system. If you are anything like me then your colonies will grow faster than you anticipate and start demanding protection before you actually provided them with any.
  • Don't build missiles to early. Missiles need quite alot of research to be close to effective in the early game. I rarely go for missiles until I reach an average of tech level 3 and I start with offensive missiles first and AMM missiles at the next level. I mostly rely on defensive strategies until then. Doing any sort of offensive operation before tech level 3-4 will generally be futile.  ;)
  • Look into developing tractor beams and Tugs so you can build large harvesters and asteroid mining stations. These stations are quite resource efficient in the long run.
  • Be careful of using reduced thermal engines in the beginning of the game. Your ships will usually have very small thermal signatures since they are both slow and small. I usually reserve this technology to either very large military ships or fast pure recon/scout ships. Reduced thermal engines will make your engines very expensive and hard to refit later on because of it.

In regard to civilian ships you might want to show the "Wealth tab" of the "Economy" screen and the "Shipping Line" screen. Explain that civilian ships will automatically go around and satisfy supply and demand of produced civilian goods. Also note that your civilian population actually produce infrastructure and as colonies demand infrastructure civilian ships will automatically send surplus from one colony to the demand of growing colonies. In many cases you will not have to provide the infrastructure yourself and it will save you some precious Duranium and production capacity.

I also don't think that you showed the Wealth tab so far at all and how wealth also is an important resource in the game, I might be mistaken there though...

Thank you for the design. When look at it and I think about my first ships I have something similar in mind except for giving it the capacity to work for a longer time. I would probably give it one more engine, enough maintenance and try to make it a bit stronger when it comes to sensors/offensive capability so it could work as a patrol ship in-between the colonies. Which is, if I understand it correctly, pretty much what your frigate size is. Correct? :) As I intend for this to be a role-play and realistic play through my designs will most likely not be perfectly optimized for offence/defence but sort of multi-purpose. I already heard many times that it’s not the ideal way to go but... that’s how I roll in this one (I always try to avoid exploiting the game).

For the defence of colonies I thought I would go for PDC’s as a first thing though you made it clear missiles are really hard to maintain in the beginning. Any example of a good, starting missile and the technologies needed to give me a bit more outlook? I mean a worthwhile one, not something I will build and it will fail horribly. I am pretty sure the PDC’s will be the only thing that can stop any advancing ship as the military ships will not be able to do anything at all at the start (except take some hits and die). But for that I would need either defensive missiles or going crazy on the turret speeds and targeting control (or so I think).

The advice you provide is great!
* The conscript button I know about however I... well... I consider all my ships („Commercial“ or „Naval“) part of the army. The only difference is classification but they are not civilian ships. That is why I wasn’t using it. I am not even sure where it is located but I saw a discussion about it on the forums or mentioned it in the wiki and I decided not to use it. However great thing to mention in the notes on the video – it conscripts the crew and a captain from outside of the navy pool, correct?
* I am not really familiar with that screen, will do check it out and show it in the video ! :)
* Ah, now I see your point! BTW is there any way how to retrain the troops I have to new units? Or do I have to disband them and train new ones? And is there any need to disband them at all? Can’t I keep them as morale patrol? (haven’t noticed any upkeep other than fuel I think).
* I already talked about missiles above :)
* Yup, in the long run I agree. I did a mistake though last time when I went for it really fast in the beginning and the costs /output made me cry. It is really a long term project for me but man do they take time to pay off. Any example of such mining station? How many modules you put on it? The size of that thing is shocking though not as much when you think of the size of a regular mine. And creating mining ships unless they have a tonnage of over 100 thousand tons seemed like a bad idea (shipping the mines and mass drivers seemed like a better idea).
* The only time I will use those is for military/scout ships as you mentioned. Normal ships can always kill their engines and hide somewhere. They can’t run or evade anyway so it’s a best bet. I will also do a general refit where all of my ships (survey/mining/cargo) will get a sensor array that can warn them if something happens somewhere nearby in the future too. Might be expensive but I think it can pay off in the saved lives/resources.

Again thanks for all the positive advice. I hope I am not coming off as a jerk when I say: „yeah I know this and that“, it’s not meant to be snarky or something. Just trying to eliminate what I already know from what I need more advice in! :)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »
Some notes on fighters...

With the change introduced in version 6 you can actually build fighters in the early game, but they are usually not very good. I find that I only use the small 500t or below crafts as recon before I reach an average tech level of about 4. Before that they are not really worth the investment in research needed, at least this is in my humble opinion. The reason is the amount of research you need to make them viable as a fighting platform (with all the support) versus all the more important stuff you need to research before then.

I usually go the more traditional transition of beam weapon ships to missile ships and then to carrier based warfare. Carriers are "probably" the most potent type of ship in Aurora based on how dynamic they are as a fighting platform.

The reason why I ask for fighters is that you build corvettes – frigates and I would build scout fighters – frigates. But... I am not sure how.
I mean when I reduce the tonnage of the ship below 500 tons it still marks the ship as a vessel. Do I need some technology or...?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »
Don't worry your remarks are not snarky or anything... :)

I think that we are on the same page when it comes to role-play. I generally look at what I need and make decision on what I think a real person or society would in my place. I usually play a rather civilized society so wasting human lives is not acceptable unless it is the only choice so my ship designs will be based on those premises.

My Wolf class corvette is humanities first military design in my game and is only suppose to protect Earth and the Luna colony. There is an automated mining base on Io and there are no real civilian traffic in this area so no point in providing protection outside the inner part of the solar system. By the time I develop a real colony on Io I will probably have a new class of corvettes or a modified Wolf class with slightly better range with reduced failure rates. In my case I will need smaller engineering modules to keep the size of the ship small enough so it is cheap enough.

In regard to conscript and academy personnel I go with the highest training level (5) of my personnel so I restrict naval crew for "military" designs, I do get very few crew trained each year. My reasoning is that any ship that is deemed "commercial" is not really a military ship but a civilian ship commissioned by the military and put in command by military officers but with a civilian crew. Commercial vessels are still maintained by the civilian sector and do not really tax the military complex. But there is no such thing as being right on these issues... ;)

Missiles will need allot if investment in max engine power. Generally you need at least 2x (which is 4x for missiles) to get any decent missiles that are balance between range and speed. Below this and your missiles will not be able to actually hit anything but slow commercial ships and certainly nothing with a higher tech level than yourself. This is a research investment of at least 15000RP. I also like to have at least ION tech engines before I build missiles that I really rely on, though this is not necessary in theory. Then you also need a couple of level of research in to missile reload and magazine technology. At least 2-3 levels in each category so that is about another 10000-15000RP. Then you need to invest in nuke strength or else you will not do damage once you actually do hit so that is another 7000RP to get at least 4 damage per MSP, lower will just make missiles too weak to be useful.
Now, even with all this research, you will still struggle to build ships that have enough launchers to launch salvoes big enough to penetrate same tech beam defences so you might want to invest in reduced launcher size, perhaps down to 50% that would then be another 3000RP. But this does not have to be necessary depending on your style and and military doctrines.
As if this is not enough, missile ships also need long range and expensive fire controls and active sensors, in general more expensive than beam fire controls. You also need to build up an initial ordnance factory base where you will build your missiles, this will also take time and resources.

Fighters must have a hangar or they will break down once created. Any ship with a tonnage at 500t or below (with at least one 50+t engine) is a fighter and must be built in a fighter factory. Any ship this size should be marked as a fighter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:33:08 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2013, 05:33:42 AM »
Don't worry your remarks are not snarky or anything... :)

I think that we are on the same page when it comes to role-play. I generally look at what I need and make decision on what I think a real person or society would in my place. I usually play a rather civilized society so wasting human lives is not acceptable unless it is the only choice so my ship designs will be based on those premises.

My Wolf class corvette is humanities first military design in my game and is only suppose to protect Earth and the Luna colony. There is an automated mining base on Io and there are no real civilian traffic in this area so no point in providing protection outside the inner part of the solar system. By the time I develop a real colony on Io I will probably have a new class of corvettes or a modified Wolf class with slightly better range with reduced failure rates. In my case I will need smaller engineering modules to keep the size of the ship small enough so it is cheap enough.

In regard to conscript and academy personnel I go with the highest training level (5) of my personnel so I restrict naval crew for "military" designs, I do get very few crew trained each year. My reasoning is that any ship that is deemed "commercial" is not really a military ship but a civilian ship commissioned by the military and put in command by military officers but with civilian crew, Commercial vessels are still maintained by the civilian sector and do not really tax the military complex. But there is no such thing as being right on these issues... ;)

Missiles will need allot if investment in max engine power. Generally you need at least 2x (which is 4x for missiles) to get any decent missiles that are balance between range and speed. Below this and your missiles will not be able to actually hit anything but slow commercial ships and certainly nothing with a higher tech level than yourself. This is a research investment of at least 15000RP. I also like to have at least ION tech engines before I build missiles that I really rely on, though this is not necessary in theory. Then you also need a couple of level of research in to missile reload and magazine technology. At least 2-3 levels in each category so that is about another 10000-15000RP. Then you need to invest in nuke strength or else you will not do damage once you actually do hit so that is another 7000RP to get at least 4 damage per MSP, lower will just make missiles too weak to be useful.
Now, even with all this research, you will still struggle to build ships that have enough launchers to launch salvoes big enough to penetrate same tech beam defences so you might want to invest in reduced launcher size, perhaps down to 50% that would then be another 3000RP. But this does not have to be necessary depending on your style and and military doctrines.
As if this is not enough, missile ships also need long range and expensive fire controls and active sensors, in general more expensive than beam fire controls. You also need to build up an initial ordnance factory base where you will build your missiles, this will also take time and resources.

Fighters must have a hangar or they will break down once created. Any ship with a tonnage at 500t or below (with at least one 50+t engine) is a fighter and must be built in a fighter factory. Any ship this size should be marked as a fighter.

thanks for the explanation! I will publish another three episodes tonight and some more tommorow so please keep the comments coming :)

Maybe I don't have them marked as fighters because I haven't researched the hangar bay yet? Can that be it?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »
No... there is no particular technology that make them into fighters. Just assign a small engine and they will be classed as...

"This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes"

...in the bottom of the design overview text.

Like this...
Illustrious class Cruiser    415 tons     14 Crew     49.8 BP      TCS 8.3  TH 20  EM 0
2409 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 51.67 Years     MSP 75    AFR 1%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 1    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 3   

SDN-A04/01  Nuclear Thermal Stardrive (1)    Power 20    Fuel Use 96%    Signature 20    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 22.6 billion km   (108 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Just pressed new and added a 200t engine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:16:37 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this Alfapiomega.  Great job so far.  I'm up to episode 15.

When designing a new ship, under the DAC / Rank /Info tab, there's a dropdown box that allows you to choose a Name Type.

Right under that shows you what other ship classes that can be built in a shipyard tooled for the selected class.

This is at least the case for version 5.6 of the "game".  I'm 90 years into a game where I have almost 700 Research Labs each producing 840 RP per year.  Scientist Joel Howe, an expert in the field of construction and production (65%) with 60 labs under his guidance, is currently fixated on improving the efficiency of our labs so that they produce 1000 RP each.

Keep them coming. :)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »
That error message you got in episode 20 is probably when the civilian ship was spawned. That can happen when you don't have all technology that it is made up of. In this case I think it is "Cargo Handling System".

This has happened to me before and as far as I know have no direct impact on the game.

Some other tip from questions in your 20th episode about engines. You don't save fuel by reducing the maximum speed of a ship, the fuel usage is per power-hour. You can reduce the fuel usage somewhat by giving it less engines because that means less mass to haul around, thus also less speed. Other than that you need to research more fuel efficient technology.
I usually develop two types of commercial engines, one at 25HS (1250t) and one with 50HS (2500t). The larger the engine the more fuel efficient it is. By rule of thumb I always put at least two engines on any ship and usually the big engines if I can to save fuel.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:25:36 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this Alfapiomega.  Great job so far.  I'm up to episode 15.

When designing a new ship, under the DAC / Rank /Info tab, there's a dropdown box that allows you to choose a Name Type.

Right under that shows you what other ship classes that can be built in a shipyard tooled for the selected class.

This is at least the case for version 5.6 of the "game".  I'm 90 years into a game where I have almost 700 Research Labs each producing 840 RP per year.  Scientist Joel Howe, an expert in the field of construction and production (65%) with 60 labs under his guidance, is currently fixated on improving the efficiency of our labs so that they produce 1000 RP each.

Keep them coming. :)

Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to know :)

I need some sort of a guide how to do this whole "ship's family" thing as I face constant retooling otherwise :-/

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:30 AM »
That error message you got in episode 20 is probably when the civilian ship was spawned. That can happen when you don't have all technology that it is made up of. In this case I think it is "Cargo Handling System".

This has happened to me before and as far as I know have no direct impact on the game.

Some other tip from questions in your 20th episode about engines. You don't save fuel by reducing the maximum speed of a ship, the fuel usage is per power-hour. You can reduce the fuel usage somewhat by giving it less engines because that means less mass to haul around, thus also less speed. Other than that you need to research more fuel efficient technology.
I usually develop two types of commercial engines, one at 25HS (1250t) and one with 50HS (2500t). The larger the engine the more fuel efficient it is. By rule of thumb I always put at least two engines on any ship and usually the big engines if I can to save fuel.

Got it! Four more episodes recorded, ending state: 0,5m colony on Mars, 2 civilian mining colonies, two automated colonies + 500 milion people on Earth :)