Author Topic: Request for the Designer Mode Password  (Read 6704 times)

Offline CaptainBipto (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
Request for the Designer Mode Password
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Hey guys! Sorry to bug you Steve I am not sure if my PM i sent to you about half an hour ago actually went thru due to my dodgy internet connection.  I have run into the perpetual 5 second interval and if possible pls PM me the Designer password so I can get my game back on track! My apologies if you did get my PM but my outbox didn't show anything.  Thanks again for the game!!!!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Request for the Designer Mode Password
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
There is none, just hit OK.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Hmm I tried that and it said no valid password.   Is that normal? Thanks btw!

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what Athom is talking about. There definitely is a password.

I don't know it personally, and I don't think anyone besides Steve is able to distribute it without getting into trouble. Steve himself hasn't been in these forums for over a month however, so you may have to wait a bit to get it.

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
He gave it to me a looooong time ago but that PM disappeared:(

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
I am sure there isn't one, I just tried going into SM and when it asked for a password, I just clicked OK and it accepted it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »
I am sure there isn't one, I just tried going into SM and when it asked for a password, I just clicked OK and it accepted it.
That's spacemaster mode, there's no password for that unless you set one at the start of the game.
Designer mode lets you alter the database, which can cause undesirable bugs. Steve won't give you any help for problems you encounter if you gave altered the database, he avoids giving to password out to prevent erroneous bug reports.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline letsdance

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »
i asked him for the pw a few months ago. i guess he doesn't read PMs here, because i got no reply at all. i didn't try email. i'd like to mod the game =)

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:58:21 AM »
I sent him an email just now:p

I'm sticking with this game.  Maybe next time if I can't get the pword. . . I'll stock my game with SM races.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
That's spacemaster mode, there's no password for that unless you set one at the start of the game.
Designer mode lets you alter the database, which can cause undesirable bugs. Steve won't give you any help for problems you encounter if you gave altered the database, he avoids giving to password out to prevent erroneous bug reports.

A little more detail: Designer mode allows you to "see" (and give orders to) computer-controlled NPR empires in the GUI as if they were player-controlled NPRs.  Since the AI makes assumptions about what the empires it controls are doing, if you change the state of the computer-controlled empire (i.e. give orders or (possibly) delete things) it can break the AI, generating the erroneous bug reports that Steve wants to prevent.

John

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
In SM I managed to find the fight dragging out my game.  A NPR encountered some ships called Pirate Alpha, Charlie and Bravo.   The NPR ships would see pirate alpha on active but not do anything :(

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »
I thought I already posted this, but in the logs you can see information about NPRs that isn't viewable in SM mode.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »
i asked him for the pw a few months ago. i guess he doesn't read PMs here, because i got no reply at all. i didn't try email. i'd like to mod the game =)
What kind of mod are you going to do?

Offline letsdance

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
What kind of mod are you going to do?
since it don't have the pw, none it seems =)

if i had the pw it depends on what's all in the database. i'd like to mod engines as in my suggestions thread, and remove the 10x size factor for commercial designs (by reducing the size of such components), and remove commercial shipyards. probably also the cost of some techs. but it all depends on what's possible and i don't know that.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
You do realise the Database and Developer passwords are different?

or aren't they anymore?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.