Author Topic: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 65421 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v2.2.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2023, 03:19:11 PM »
So what do the FC and PDP priorities mean in practice?

Will FCs with higher PD priority prefer to target missile salvos over other ships? Will ships with higher PDP receive more firepower from other ships against missiles that are targeting them? Is it weighted or absolute?

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2023, 04:21:46 PM »

Will FCs with higher PD priority prefer to target missile salvos over other ships? Will ships with higher PDP receive more firepower from other ships against missiles that are targeting them? Is it weighted or absolute?
He explained them here:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13191.msg164204#msg164204

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2023, 10:30:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure it is Absolut as everything else in the game tend to be that. Personally I would have preferred that more things were weighted values rather than absolute, would feel a bit more realistic in my opinion.

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2023, 07:08:27 PM »
The new missile design options in combination with fractional warhead option really makes for a wider range of interesting choices. Smaller AMMs will be much more efficient on magazine space, but struggle more against larger missiles, which will also be packing ECM to protect against them, and will have greater lethality than smaller missiles in a qualitative, not just quantitative sense.

Offline Serina

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2023, 04:54:39 PM »
Is there a particular reason you chose to have CIWS stay the way it was? (Ergo, no wasted shots) Or am I missing something?

Edit: It might make sense instead for the CIWS to assign a single shot per missile of it's available shots, and all CIWS rus through the lists this way assigning one shot each until they run out of shots and then processing this as the final batch. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 04:57:03 PM by Serina »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »
Is there a particular reason you chose to have CIWS stay the way it was? (Ergo, no wasted shots) Or am I missing something?

Edit: It might make sense instead for the CIWS to assign a single shot per missile of it's available shots, and all CIWS rus through the lists this way assigning one shot each until they run out of shots and then processing this as the final batch.

Partly because that is the way that CIWS works in reality, partly because it is defending at very close range against targets heading directly toward it and partly because it gives CIWS a unique capability which provides more interesting ship design decisions.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2023, 08:52:46 PM »
CIWS on every ship!  :)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2023, 11:10:00 PM »
CIWS on every ship!  :)

I am actually thinking this way and looking forward to it, although we will see what the balance looks like (i.e. how much NPRs can use these new features).

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2023, 02:30:26 AM »
Could we get option to set our fire controls to ignore certain missiles? I think I asked for this before, but I think it is more important now, with PD weapons failures and AMMs with small warheads that are unable to penetrate armour.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, Snoman314

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2023, 03:07:14 AM »
Could we get option to set our fire controls to ignore certain missiles? I think I asked for this before, but I think it is more important now, with PD weapons failures and AMMs with small warheads that are unable to penetrate armour.

Do you mean missiles of a particular type, or certain salvos?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2023, 03:40:16 AM »

Do you mean missiles of a particular type, or certain salvos?

I think I would prefer for particular type of missile to be excluded. My main issue is when I deal with mix of AMMs and ASMs, then I may want to ignore AMMs.

Maybe some settings that would prevent launch of my AMMs against certain type of missiles if magazines are bellow certain level of capacity or something like this could also be useful.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »
That would also make it possible to completely ignore decoy missiles, which I guess is either a good or a bad thing depending on what your opinion on them is.

Or wait, since most PD modes automatically fire on missiles just before they detonate, does that mean decoys are already ignored automatically unless you use that area defense mode?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2023, 04:49:49 AM »
That would also make it possible to completely ignore decoy missiles, which I guess is either a good or a bad thing depending on what your opinion on them is.

Or wait, since most PD modes automatically fire on missiles just before they detonate, does that mean decoys are already ignored automatically unless you use that area defense mode?

The text in my post states: "Every salvo arriving at its destination, whether in the same location as the target or at the detonation location for stand-off ordnance, is added to a list called ‘Salvos On Target’."

Its not detonation per se, but arriving at its destination. Assuming by decoy you mean a missile without a warhead, it would be treated as any other missile arriving at its destination.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2023, 05:36:43 AM »

You can ignore certain missile salvos now as well, but you need to control your PD defences completely manually, which is time consuming.

I mostly want this to be able to ignore Precursor AMM spam when I play with race that uses AMMs without manually controlling my AMM launchers. So for me it would be sufficient to have setting that allows me to ignore missiles of certain size. In case of the Precursors, when I enter their system, I would set that I want to ignore size 1 missiles and that would be it. My AMMs would launch against their ASMs and not be wasted on enemy AMM missiles, which can be handled by PD guns or shields or armour. Or they could be completely ignored in new version if they have 0.5 size warhead, but I presume Steve will program NPRs and spoilers to not waste such missiles against ships.

If we get true decoy missiles like dazzlers or dragon's teeth from Honorverse then I suppose we would need to come with different solution.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2023, 07:31:31 AM »
I mostly want this to be able to ignore Precursor AMM spam when I play with race that uses AMMs without manually controlling my AMM launchers. So for me it would be sufficient to have setting that allows me to ignore missiles of certain size. In case of the Precursors, when I enter their system, I would set that I want to ignore size 1 missiles and that would be it. My AMMs would launch against their ASMs and not be wasted on enemy AMM missiles, which can be handled by PD guns or shields or armour. Or they could be completely ignored in new version if they have 0.5 size warhead, but I presume Steve will program NPRs and spoilers to not waste such missiles against ships.

I will note that even more generally, we really would benefit from having a smoother control for AMMs. One reason I tend to avoid using AMMs is because it is a pain to manually set/reset their fire controls based on whether or not you actually want/need to use them for PD against a particular opponent. It would be nice if there was a button to turn on/off AMM fire, so if I'm facing a minor missile attack I can just let my guns handle it instead of wasting a bunch of ordnance without having to reconfigure a bunch of MFCs.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, Black, Snoman314