Poll

Anti-Ship Missile Size preferance

size 1-2 "I am legion for we are many"
size 3-5 it's not the size it's how you use it
size 6-9 The Middle :D
size 10-14 Bigger IS better
size 15+ They had the right idea when they built the Fat Man

Author Topic: Anti-Ship Missile Size preferance  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Anti-Ship Missile Size preferance
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »
I usually use size 6. It's the largest missile size that still hits the minimum sensor resolution, so it seems like a natural cutoff point.

On the other hand, it's also just a shade too small to make a practical MIRV. So I would consider running a size 10-12 missile fleet and making more use of those.

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:36 PM »
Size 1 for AMM

Majority of the time, 4-6 for my standard missile series.
Size 8 for larger missiles.
Size 18 for Heavies and Mines.

I try to keep things standardized to ease the (very real) burden on the logistical infrastructure. Having lesser numbers of missile series/standardized launchers helps. I used to mix them up more, but the logistical nightmare that gave me convinced me that multiple missile sizes in the fleet constitutes a Really Bad Idea. Modern world navies standardize their weapon platforms for this exact reason!

Standard missiles go on everything. Ships, fighters, FACs, you name it. I usually have one primary ASM series, a second "sprint" series for short ranged combatants with limited sensors (fighters, mines, ect), and usually a series with Thermal based sensors. They make for great mine/mirv warhead missiles and for surprise attacks. :)

Size 8s go on PDC's and big ships for long range hitting power. I do build some Size 8 launcher armed FAC's for one shot punch squadrons occasionally. Very long range, very heavy warhead, armored as well.

Size 18 goes for mine layers (captor mines) with very slow rates of reload, or Box Launched BIG Missiles. Size 18s are usually where I have multi-role missile designs. Tend to be MIRV designs, slow, long range, and fitted with two or three submunitions.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Size 1 for AMMs, AFMs, and short ranged swarm missiles used in some of my MIRVs and mines.
Size 3-4 is usually general purpose to be used against lighter enemies around frigate size. Usually standard on most ships (including fighters and gunships).
Size 5-6 is also a general purpose that would be used against all enemy warships and stations. This is on many of my ships of frigate+ save a few exceptions.
Size 15(+/- some) is where most of my specialty anti-ship ordinance is. I have slow/long-range torpedoes, short-range/fast heavy missiles, MIRVs, and mines. These are put on my bombers, destroyers, some cruisers, and my capital ships (battleships, dreadnoughts, etc.). The mines are usually placed around JPs, LPs, colonies, deep-space stations and everywhere within choke-point systems. A fun way to use mines during an enemy assault of your space is to use a stealth minelayer and mine along(and around) your enemy's line of travel so they will always encounter more mines.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.