Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 274784 times)

Offline lbpink

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2020, 10:29:03 PM »
I've noticed in some of the pages, notably in ship construction and research, where the completion date field is too small to display the full date string.  Can there be an option to expand the field or shorten the info in that's displayed?

Also I'm pretty bad a window management apparently.  Would we be able to have the buttons on the system map open the last window created instead of opening a new one? I've caught myself with a dozen events windows open several time now.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline AJS1956

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2020, 03:22:10 AM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the game - It will make lockdown bearable !!

One suggestion is that on the system display you can zoom out a VERY long way (to a scale of billions of light years or more) and still see just the system you are at.  Can you put a hard limit on the zoom out? It just seems a bit unrealistic to have a scale where I should see most of the galaxy but can only see one system!

Andy

Offline GL

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2020, 03:50:15 AM »
In VB, I liked the "Exceptional New Officer" events; I could flag them by giving them a small medal.

Could it be brought back? Perhaps with a medal condition such as "Graduated with promotion score > x" ?

Thanks

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2020, 04:08:38 AM »
Import Ground Unit Template:

a button that allows us to upload a .txt file (or something similar) that has a specific layout that the DB understands which includes ground unit types, elements, and formations. Preferably they do not need to researched yet but if that isn't possible, it would still be useful, especially for multi-faction Earth starts.

The following users thanked this post: Doren, serger, Rook, YABG

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:50 AM »
Thanks for the release and bug squashing updates - the new features and performance improvements are great!

I'd like to suggest, for upgrading and reinforcing units, a "refit to template" option in the GU Training tab.  It would go to the right of the current "create task" button.  Pressing it either brings up a window that lists all the ground units on the population or changes the window that lists possible templates for construction with a similar list.  There is a drop down menu at the top or bottom that contains all race ground unit templates.  You pick the unit you want to change, select the template you want from the drop down menu, and select "refit" or "create task" depending on where we made a new window or replaced an existing one. 

To keep things simple, when you refit a unit you get the wealth and minerals back as if it was scrapped (assuming scrapping a unit refunds anything, I haven't checked that) and costs the full amount of the new template.  Training time is modified by how similar the templates are, eg: if I take 100 riflemen and change them into 5 tanks, that would take exactly the same amount of time a building 5 tanks (the riflemen don't know how to use the tanks and all the tanks need to be built from scratch).

To prevent funky things happening with transports and hierarchies, units that are being refitted get a red or purple (whatever is easy to see and warning like) text colour on the ground forces screen and the naval movement orders screen.  Attempts to change the unit on the ground forces screen are blocked and throws the warning "You may not edit units under refit" for the user.  Units being refitted throw a similar error in the event log whenever a ship attempts to load the unit. 

Similarly, to keep things simple and prevent funkiness, prevent the user from refitting units on a population with hostile ground forces present.  This throws a warning like "You may not edit units while hostile ground forces are present". 

Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=10640. msg122037#msg122037 date=1586813432
I might be missing something, but would be cool to see Hierarchy option in Ground Forces Formation Templates.

Basically you can set up for example a "1x INF Corps -> 3x INF Divisions -> 3x INF Battalions" standard hierarchy and can then select a ticbox "include subunits in training" in GU Training which allows you to instead of training an empty Corps trains INF Corps + 3x INF Divisions + 9x INF Battalions and deliver them in the assigned hierarchy into your OOB when finished.

I'd also like to second something like this also.  Perhaps to the right of "formation templates" in the tab in the ground forces view we could have a "hierarchy template" tab where we can assemble templates similar to how you do it in the "Order of Battle" tab.  Then in the GU Training menu a button next to "Create task" that reads "create hierarchy" that pops up a drop down menu or replaces the existing formation selection menu with hierarchy templates for you to select. 

It then queues up all the relevant formations, with the top level formations first, (we'd also need the ability to queue ground unit construction  :P ) for training and assembles the hierarchy as units complete.  To use your example, selecting you INF Corps hierarchy template would train, in the following order, Corp > Division > Division > Division > Battalion > Battalion > Battalion > ect.

For extra functionality, you could maybe even choose how many GU Training facilities you want to dedicate to training a given hierarchy.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2020, 05:07:18 AM »
Dunno if I'm just doing it wrong or don't know how sub-fleets and fighters work, but here are some suggestions I have after messing around with fighters on my game:

1. Have an option to land on the mothership and join the fleet as a sub-fleet, so the fighter wing doesn't clutter the entire OOB (and have the fighter sub-fleet spawn underneath the sub-fleet the mothership is on, if any
2.  Have a display somewhere of which ship a selected fighter is landed on and on the mothership, which ships are currently landed on it.

I'm not really sure how fighters work in this version, since there's no launch parasites button that I can find. I can land on a mothership, set the fighters as their own sub-fleet while landed, and then detach the sub-fleet and the fighters "launch", however, it's hard for me to tell if fighters are flying along side a mothership or actually landed, per se.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2020, 05:09:02 AM »
And another separate suggestion, about auto-names for ground units. I think they should be numbered by formation template (or have an option to do so) and not every single ground unit in the race.

(So instead of you building 1st Armor, 2nd Infantry, 3rd Armor, 4th Armor, 5th Artillery it would be 1st Armor, 1st Infantry, 2nd Armor, 3rd Armor, 1st Artillery and so forth.

The following users thanked this post: Black, serger, Alsadius

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2020, 05:18:48 AM »
Oh tiny little thing, maybe I'm dumb and can't find it but somewhere (perhaps the new game screen?) can we have the version number?

I can't remember if I've updated or not! :)

peli08

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2020, 05:22:28 AM »
Congrats on the release! The resolution is a problem for me.  My laptop is only at 1366x768 it can handle somewhat the width but the length is bad.  So, a suggestion from me is if possible to make the windows of the game scrollable.  It would be nice.  Thanks.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:27 AM »
Some sort of delimiter in the ship type droplist between the abbreviation and the type for clarity purposes.

Preferably two separate-but-linked lists, so that I can sort (alphabetically) either by abbreviation or long form of hull type.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, Alsadius

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2020, 05:40:18 AM »
And another separate suggestion, about auto-names for ground units. I think they should be numbered by formation template (or have an option to do so) and not every single ground unit in the race.

(So instead of you building 1st Armor, 2nd Infantry, 3rd Armor, 4th Armor, 5th Artillery it would be 1st Armor, 1st Infantry, 2nd Armor, 3rd Armor, 1st Artillery and so forth.

I would. . . NOT. . . like this.  But I would love a way to select a number of ground units and auto-renumber them starting from some ordinal I select.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2020, 05:42:17 AM »
Oh tiny little thing, maybe I'm dumb and can't find it but somewhere (perhaps the new game screen?) can we have the version number?

I can't remember if I've updated or not! :)

It used to be on the main menu bar, but since C# Aurora has ditched the main menu bar, I don't know where to find it now.

The following users thanked this post: YABG

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2020, 06:44:46 AM »
Unsurveyd Display option: Instead of showing the ring on surveyd bodies it would show the ring on unsurveyd bodies

The following users thanked this post: Earthrise

Offline nhb1986

• Leading Rate
  • n
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »
Quote from: Resand link=topic=10640. msg121579#msg121579 date=1586771666
Not entirely sure if this is a bug or missing feature or what. 
But there doesn't seem to be a way to see which class designed might be build in same shipyard as each other

Yes Please.

I would also add: can we have a list of eligible and not eligible shipyards (with reason why not) e. g.  Mil/Civ can be removed from list automatically I think based on type.  But could be interesting to see if a certain Pop is lacking resources for this ship type or simple Shipyard size is missing or just retooling

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2020, 08:18:00 AM »
There should be some way to avoid opening up multiple instances of a single windows (ex. multiple ground forces windows), and when one clicks the button on the system view top bar, it should bring forward the corresponding window (like in VB6)

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, Alsadius, nhb1986, Grogfeld