Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 274764 times)

Offline WSoxfan86

• Leading Rate
  • W
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
Is there a way to show all vacancies in your empire like there was in the VB6 version? If there isn't that would be pretty nifty.

The following users thanked this post: Iceblade02

Offline Luftwolfe

• Leading Rate
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2020, 08:24:39 PM »
Would it be possible to select an upper rank bound/range to who can command what class of ship in the design window? I know based on what components you have on a ship (auxiliary command, main engineering, etc) the minimum required racial rank increases, but for an upper bound I could see it being more feasible.

I specifically ask for fighter type ships.  I know you had said that the lowest racial rank would be the only eligible command for ships under 1k tons, but I would enjoy it for RP purposes to have a series of ranks that could command fighters and FACs, the first 3 racial ranks or something like that.

Online Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »
Would it be possible to select an upper rank bound/range to who can command what class of ship in the design window? I know based on what components you have on a ship (auxiliary command, main engineering, etc) the minimum required racial rank increases, but for an upper bound I could see it being more feasible.

I specifically ask for fighter type ships.  I know you had said that the lowest racial rank would be the only eligible command for ships under 1k tons, but I would enjoy it for RP purposes to have a series of ranks that could command fighters and FACs, the first 3 racial ranks or something like that.

To add to this it would also be good to have a minimum rank that the player can specify for each class not too dissimilar from VB6. The minimum rank would be the lowest ranking officer onboard that ship. So if the ship has CIC instead of racial minimum +2 the CO would have a rank of class minimum +2. The class design UI should still show the CO though.

Online Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
Also when picking up cargo there should be some way to ignore pickup fail interrupts. Right now establishing mineral shipping routes is easily possible but hard to control.

I'm telling the ship to load 1000 of each mineral type at the source and using "load/unload to reserve" in order to unload cargo at the destination. This works fine except when the destination is full (at mineral reserve level) and the ship returns with a full cargo bay, attempting to overload itself and throwing a pickup fail interrupt.

Using "load/unload to reserve" has a problem where the ship will load from top to bottom. So it will fill itself with only duranium for example. This means that if you have a colony with lots of minerals and a small colony which you just want to have a small level of resources you end up with problems.

An alternative solution which is probably better is to have an "unload to reserve and wait until empty" command. Where the ship will unload until it hits the reserve level and then unload every production increment as the planet falls under reverse levels - only moving to the next order once the cargo holds are empty.
Edit: "unload to reserve and wait until empty" might be best if it can also be made mineral specific so "unload to reserve and wait until no 'mineral x' left in cargo" for example
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:39:48 PM by Droll »

Offline Lightning

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2020, 09:13:10 PM »
Maybe it could be made that Left-Click activates already existing window and Right-Click opens a new instance of that window. Then we could have both!
Or perhaps a check box/button that allows multiple instances of a window. So far, the improvement of multiple instances has been a real nuisance. I agree there are times it would be nice to have multiple of the same open at once, as stated before. However, most of the time I would prefer it brings the existing to front if it is already open. At a minimum, the 'close all' windows button to clean up all the open windows except the main one would help a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Resand

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »
Ideally we should be able to have civilian shipping handle shipping minerals.  The US Navy doesn't transport ore after all.

Offline Luftwolfe

• Leading Rate
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
A suggestion a friend and I drummed up is the "drop pod capability", whereas troops trained with this capability would have the ability to automatically take 1 turn of breakthrough attack to break up HQ elements and such, similar to how paratroopers would operate in WW2.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »
Some sort of prototype system for ground units would be great. I've probably realized I forgot to set HQ size and 'avoid combat' after researching a unit and building formations using it 5 times now.

There should be a 'load hierarchy' movement order.

Selecting a name using 'Select Name' on the class design screen should automatically set the class to use the name list that the selected name came from.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:09:32 AM by thashepherd »

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »
I'd appreciate it if researched ground units would be categorized in their own folders according to their classification so as to decrease the crowding of the list and saving time when making new ground formation templates. For example; Folder for Infantry, Light Vehicles, Medium Vehicles, Heavy Vehicles and so no and so forth.

The ability to import/export "packs" of medals and awards with their points, descriptions and pictures.

The ability to import/export ground formation templates

The following users thanked this post: Shadow, Garfunkel, Black, thashepherd, Doren, GL, Aloriel, JuergenSchT

Offline Icekiller

• Petty Officer
  • I
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2020, 01:01:14 AM »
It would be great if there was a section on the ground combat tab that showed what percentage of a formations TO&E is complete, based on the template you used to build it.  This would make it far easier to build reinforcements for that unit, since you could at a glance see what it needed. 

For example:
If I have a infantry unit of 100 men, and 10 of them die.  It would show me that I am at 90% TO&E for that unit. 

The following users thanked this post: thashepherd, Luftwolfe, Pedroig

Offline GL

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2020, 01:38:40 AM »
Could we have an Admin Command for Intelligence?
For example: 25% to intelligence and diplomacy, twice the range.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius, Resand

Offline Demiurge

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2020, 05:14:52 AM »
Can we have the game re-use windows? Every time I click a button for industry or ship design or anything else on the main map it opens a new window, I suddenly had 16 planet overview windows open when I realized this.

It'd also be nice if clicking a tab on a window refreshes the open window.  In ship design, anytime I change or create a new hull type I have to close the window and open a new one before it updates the list and it's pretty confusing at times.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia, JuergenSchT

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »
So uh i just made 1 Battalion (kinda doing things proper) with 3 companies with 3 platoons with 3 sections and i think im going to rip my hair out

So  . . .

Perhaps add a thing called "standard organisation" or something similar

The idea is that i set up what i just did, or even select what ive done and set it as such so that a the GU screen i can produce everything ive just done, with the organisation already done. Essentially its a formation like the other formations, but instead of consisting of units, it consists of other formations (woah thats a lot of formations! :))

I am currently making the 2nd battalion for my regiment (going to consist of 3 battalions) so i think im going to need another tea . . .

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Demiurge

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2020, 06:08:29 AM »
The new prototype system is pretty good, but it would be great it if was expanded in functionality. 

For example what if prototypes were saved between games? So when I start a new game I can pull up my old prototypes, allow the list to be sorted by current tech levels so I can use the same sensors and weapons systems/missiles between games without having to design them from scratch every game. 

Save these prototypes in a file separate from the database so they can be kept between updates and even shared between players!

Edit: To expand on this.  Make each prototype be its own text file in a folder, so when you pull up the prototype window it just populates the list from your folder.  This way individual designs can be easily shared between players by simply copy/pasting a text file.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:12:58 AM by Demiurge »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2020, 06:25:05 AM »
Can we have the game re-use windows? Every time I click a button for industry or ship design or anything else on the main map it opens a new window, I suddenly had 16 planet overview windows open when I realized this.

It'd also be nice if clicking a tab on a window refreshes the open window.  In ship design, anytime I change or create a new hull type I have to close the window and open a new one before it updates the list and it's pretty confusing at times.

Aurora was deliberately switched away from that to enable drag-and-drop between multiple instances of the same window.  To switch back would require nearly every window increasing in size to fit a multi-function drag-and-drop space.