Author Topic: Race characteristics  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Race characteristics
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:58:05 PM »
How do these figures effect things in the game for any given species? On the Race detail screen there is a box that has a list of characteristics such as Diplomacy, Exploration, Trading etc. and a number in the box next to each, in SM mode I can happily alter this number and save it for the race. But there is no pop up to say what these numbers represent, are they a percentage increase in things, or a static figure increase or some arbitrary number left in from a previous version? Also what does each of the characteristics do in regards to game effects?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Race characteristics
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »
I believe they provide slight bonuses/loss to things like how your people see others (and vise versa), military, trade income, etc.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:34 AM »
An explanation is buried somewhere in the forum, I'll dig it out later and edit this post.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »
See here and here

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
See here and here
I read that one from 2006 about 2 weeks ago, lol.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:46 AM »
Ok that helps quite a lot, I am going to take a wild assumption that the 1-100 skills are a percentage penalty rather than simply a direct number? In addition does the communication type have any effect, for example if speaking humans try to communicate with somatic bugs would there be additional penalties or is this simply some nice RP fluff? Finally does having additional racial types in your empire make any difference? For example I have humans as a main race who have a nice diplomacy skill to offset the fear the bugs have of me when trying to establish communications, but I also have a race which has a nice translation bonus, would the two combine as an overall empire bonus or will I simply always use the main human one?

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
I read that one from 2006 about 2 weeks ago, lol.

went to check and got a little bit of lulz out of this bit in the 2006 one

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
went to check and got a little bit of lulz out of this bit in the 2006 one
Its an error that shows up mostly due to the fact that this is not the original hosting site for this forum. I have only seen it on edits but if the forum doesn't have a time stamp for an edit it assigns the date of December 31st, 1969. I don't know why that date but there you go.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »
Its an error that shows up mostly due to the fact that this is not the original hosting site for this forum. I have only seen it on edits but if the forum doesn't have a time stamp for an edit it assigns the date of December 31st, 1969. I don't know why that date but there you go.
oh I already knew why stuff like that happens. It just makes me chuckle when I see stuff like that though