Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 272677 times)

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #630 on: February 25, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
Still wary that there may be other enemies about the captain ordered a sweep of the nearby asteroid filed that the ships appeared to come from but did not see any traces of other ships. Seeing all enemy ships as wrecks now the captain officially declared the battle won.

Tactically you may have won but I'd say that strategically you got your ass kicked. You lost the entire cost of your two Wolf class and any ordinance they were carrying minus some crew and at least one captain plus the cost to repair your lightly damaged ship plus having the Alpha II be out of commission during its repair possibly causing you to have to redeploy some ships. Their cost was 34 missiles and 2 FACs. Not a bad trade off on their end.

Offline Jikor

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
Oh yea. Fleet command was a bit upset by this. The captain was the only one who felt victorious. Suspicion is that these aliens are of the inorganic nature as they have been no other recorded evidence of their presence and communication was impossible.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #632 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
Well my first game had a DB crash and had to be trashed.  I was looking forward to testing my ship designs. 

Game #2:   a complete system survey showed that Sol system did not have sufficient Sorium and duranium.  And throw in some powerful neighbors, who took offense to our presence...oh well. 

Game #3:  I got off to a very slow start (no propulsion expert for 50 years, it was an RP thing).  Things have started to move along now.  Gate (7) defenses are moving into place, Mercury and Venus have vast quantities of minerals except for Uridium and corundium.  Those 2 are very rare in the Sol System and will need to be found very soon.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #633 on: February 28, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
Playing a Warhammer 40K themed game. First system I find has two MASSIVE civilizations within an equivalent orbit of Earth and Mars from each other, both of them have an estimate population of 40 billion. After 15 years of no activity, I turn on SM, bring a 28kt bombardment cruiser and activate my sensors. I then check the logs to see if they see me (they did; I would be worried if they didn't) but nothing happened for the next six months.

I then proceeded to bomb both of them, one of them to -86 Kelvin !!!!!!!

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #634 on: February 28, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Man, that is just cold.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #636 on: February 28, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
Currently have a game based loosely on an alternate WWI where Germany, Britain, and America are the only worthwhile powers remaining by 1920, when TN tech is researched. All three are a regular 500m population transnewtonian start with no research points or ships. The whole thing is an experiment on having three earth based powers use the railgun battleship doctrine, so the poor backstory isn't an issue for me.

Germany launched the first survey ship in late 1920/early 1921, followed by three American survey ships and two British survey cruisers (which are armed with 4 10cm railguns). Britain built the first two warships, 9,000 ton cruisers armed with 12 10cm railguns, followed by America with three 10,000 ton warships, which have less weaponry but are faster. Germany is waiting until nuclear pulse engines and better railguns to design their first warship.

I may post the designs later, after more time has passed.

EDIT: I had to restart, ran into some game-ending errors.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:13:12 PM by JacenHan »

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #637 on: March 01, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
21st October 2132 06:29:11,Federation,Alpha Centauri,New Alien Race Detected in Alpha Centauri!!

Initiated communications, and a diplomatic team sent in.

22nd October 2132 07:03:21,Federation,Alpha Centauri,2044 Planet Survey  002 hit by 6 points of damage from Aethumyr Anti-ship Missile.

Alpha Centauri has massive amounts of critical minerals, and must be taken at all cost! 

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #638 on: March 02, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Just ended up rotating one for my 2 fleets back home after having moved some PDCs to the NPR homworld conquered some time ago to give the fleet a refit while my 2nd fleet is left to guard Sol. A bit later suddenly one civ trader is destroyed in a neighbouring system where I met and killed the Swarm earlier. Looks like at least one of them was still around.

Since everything was peaceful (met 2 other NPRs and have been trading with them 10+ years, geo information was given to me) I decided to move my "homefleet" to deal with the remaining Swarm ships. It turned out it was only one lone FAC, but I took a close look at all the planets just to be sure.

When my fleet was close to as far from the JP back to Sol as possible suddenly one of my ships (actually a form ship of the NPR I conquered and one of my trade partners have been at war with) gets blow up by their former enemy, suddenly putting me at war with them (IIRC there is a bug where the NPRs fail to see the changed ownership), right when I was most vulnerable. I know that this is a bug, but the way it happened would have been pretty much the same as if the NPR was actually smart, nice move there, even if caused by a bug ;)

The enemies were fairly quickly killed by my PDCs and a couple of ships still waiting for their refit. Well, now I have to take another homeworld, but lack the troops to do so and have to train up my new gauss interceptors...

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #639 on: March 07, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Restarted the game mentioned a few posts above this, am now 10 years in with all three factions starting to build gravitational survey ships. The Germans have taken their considerable amount of energy weapon scientists and switched to laser weaponry, while the British have nearly ready to build an experimental missile cruiser armed with short ranged torpedos. The United States hasn't advanced much in weapon doctrines, but are far ahead of the other powers in sensor technology.

All three have offworld colonies setup. Germany has claimed the Jovian moons, Britain has colonized Luna, and the United States has gone after Mars. Germany and the United States each have a single comet mine, and German civilians have set up two mining colonies of their own.

The German Navy has launched two 6,000 ton laser destroyers (with two more on the way), the British Navy has three 7,000 ton railgun cruisers, and the United States Navy has two 12,000 ton railgun cruisers.

Online Tanj

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #640 on: March 12, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
Currently in the midst of my most exciting game yet! I'm 29 years in and involved in two wars with NPRs, pacifying a third whose homeworld I've just conquered and happily trading with a fourth (the first to not open fire immediately). Based on the number of wrecks I'm discovering in frontier systems it seems like the Precursors are pretty active, although I've only directly encountered a total of five robot ships in two systems (having surveyed 50). One warp chain also has a lot of Swarm activity, with numerous 60,000 ton motherships destroyed but one monster 200,000 ton Swarm has already taken four 1,000 strong missile strikes without going down  :o

Right now fuel is my biggest problem - I've got 80 small (shipyard built) fuel harvesters in operation and 20 500,000 ton (ground built) fuel harvesters bringing in 200 million liters a year but I just seem to keep running out!

Offline Jikor

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #641 on: March 13, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
Fuel is a big issue now. I tend to leave all the hauling to civilians now and just have my ships go out when absolutely necessary.

Offline Prophoem

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #642 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
Quote from: Theodidactus link=topic=3808. msg70173#msg70173 date=1393361579

Still alive, 90

is there a record of some kind I should be shooting for?

hxxp: en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Grace_Hopper#World_War_II

Grace Hopper the oldest Military officer but she was only a programmer and only lived 85 years.  She was still pretty awesome though.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #643 on: March 13, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
yeah, I knew about her.

I'm RPing that this guy has perfect mental and physical acuity which no one can really explain. He just knows how to stay alive and in good shape.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Online Tanj

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #644 on: March 14, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »
I have just discovered the two scariest events in Aurora:

Hostile transit detected!
&
New jump point detected by observation of transit!

When its deep in a freshly colonised system with no defences and right on the bearing of 4.5 million tons of government owned civilian shipping... thank god it was just a enemy survey vessel!