Author Topic: The Design Championship.  (Read 9509 times)

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: The Design Championship.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
I'm concerned that the current challenge rules/objectives are sufficiently open ended to allow for challenge exploits.

For example, there appears to be no time pressure or alternate objectives to compel combat, which would allow a stealth recon fleet to hide for a couple years until their opponent crumble to dust from moral/engineering failures and only then move in for the kill. This wouldn't even have to be done maliciously. If my self propelled weapon platform needs 6-months to reach sol then any opponent that chose the default 3-month deployment time will be down to 50% moral when battle starts.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
We could simply... not be butts and use exploits like that?

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm all for gentlemen agreements to submit a realistic fleet and pledge not to use challenge exploit gimick. That's why I posted publicity rather than dropping private message.

The real issue is speed. If you are fast enough to dodge missiles then going faster is often better. However you are using tanks that can't dodge anything then going slower to save BP for weapons is usually better. I'd like to establish a ground rule on what is too slow since I was seriously contemplating a 500 km/s fleet design and had no clue how that would be viewed by the others.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 11:04:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to quietly veto any design that rely on waiting for your enemy to implode from lack of maintenance facilities.

I'm not, however, going to put a limit on how slow a given design can be. If you want to go the slow tank route, it's fine by me. You're at risk of getting utterly destroyed if your enemy outrage you though.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »
The enemy always outrages me, daring to exist in my system.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
The enemy always outrages me, daring to exist in my system.

I know
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Thanatos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
Hey, I thought about this stuff too, but in the end submitted something I would actually use in a game, for assaulting enemy systems.

I prefer my tanks to be Abrams, not some slowpoke Matilda II, if you catch my drift.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 11:35:04 PM »
Fleet submitted.

The fleet is a variation of what I might use in a multi-faction game, only I had fun with the unlimited shipyard size to combine what would ordinarily be specialized designs. 8)

Offline lennson

• l
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:53 AM »
This looks interesting.  I sent a very simple design to create a fleet out of.  Feel free to ignore it if you think it wont be competitive.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 12:28:08 AM »
I submitted, my design is either awesome or stupid, we'll find out soon I guess.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »
5 designs in so far, I've started the job of re-creating them in my Aurora. Lots of nice design I would never have built in a lifetime, this is going to be fun. My GF is around this week, so I might take up to a week to start running the first matches, but I hope to do at least a couple this week-end.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »
Like most of the others I'm going to submit what I would probably be using at that 5000rp tech level, however I might play around with components and see what I can do with relatively cheap components. My swarm of Matilda II's might just surprise that Abrams.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Thanatos

• T
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 03:01:15 AM »
Like most of the others I'm going to submit what I would probably be using at that 5000rp tech level, however I might play around with components and see what I can do with relatively cheap components. My swarm of Matilda II's might just surprise that Abrams.

Hey, Abrams are not invulnerable, and at the time Matty's were! But you gotta respect a machine that can go really fast offroad, uphill, over rocks, over cars, over buildings, and still fire straight and accurate.

Then again, at 5000rp, I cannot really call it an Abrams can I? It's more like... a Panzer III. Or maybe a Hotrod with a .50 on the hood, in a mad max universe.

Offline Sheb (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:37 AM »
So actually, I had a question. Would you guys mind if I entered a design of my own in the race? I mean, I'm the GM, so you'd have to take it on my word that I'm being fair, but I have an idea for a design radically different from any I've seen so far, not exploity and that I think should be effective.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »
Go for it, the last time something like this was done it was mostly the hosts designs with a few other submissions, though you do technically have inside information. As long as your design is just different from what you've seen,  not something specifically made to exploit designs you have seen.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "