Author Topic: Flight Crew Births?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Flight Crew Births?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »
Cryogenic storage can hold rescued crew, right? I've been adding the Emergency Cryo Storage modules to my ships for that.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 12:31:16 AM »
So it just overloads life support but doesn't cause morale failure? I would ave thought it did both.
Until you run out of parts you aren't in any trouble, then your crew starts dieing.

Cryogenic storage can hold rescued crew, right? I've been adding the Emergency Cryo Storage modules to my ships for that.
It can.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 06:18:06 AM »
I guess when you run out of oxygen you're a little too preoccupied with suffocation to bother with being annoyed by not having enough personal space.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
From Steve post about the new v5.7/v6.0 crew morale changes:
Under the new rules, the parent carrier now needs to provide accommodations for the crews of any parasite craft. That is provided for by Spare Berths. You will need to add enough extra crew quarters to provide space for the flight crews. If a ship has a hangar, this is shown on the class summary as "Flight Crew Berths" rather than "Spare Berths". A parasite craft tracks its own Last Shore Leave date but while on the carrier it uses the designed Deployment Time of that carrier. So assume a fighter that last had shore leave six months ago is transferred to a carrier that has been out in space for 4 years - a year past its Deployment Time of 36 months. The crew of the carrier is not happy, having been out in space a year longer than they expected. The crew of the fighter is fine. They have only been out in space 6 months and the carrier has nice spacious accommodations.

When a fighter is out in space (and may or may not have been launched from a carrier), it tracks both the "Months since Last Shore Leave" and "Months since Last Launch". If the last launch was later than last shore leave (which may not always be the case) then that is used for purposes of its current trip. For example, the crew of a fighter has been in space overall for four years but only on its current mission for several hours. During the morale check, it compares the last launch date against the accommodations actually on board the fighter, which will be far less generous than those on the carrier.

However, it is possible that the morale for (Months since Last Launch / Fighter Deployment Time) would result in a higher morale than (Months since Last Shore Leave/ Carrier Deployment Time). As the crew would still be suffering from the effects of being out in space so long on board the carrier, their morale can never be higher than it was when they launched. I know that sounds a little complicated. In summary, what you need to bear in mind is that when you launch a fighter, you need to worry about the length of its deployment from the carrier. That will have an effect on the morale of its crew based on the time since launch and the accommodation on the fighter. However, if the crew was unhappy when they launched, they aren't going to get any happier during the mission.

Functionally, when fighters ar in the hangers they count against the crew total for potentional overcrowding penalties. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley