Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 16177 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
I have a question Steve. I don't think it has been answered yet, I apologize if I am wrong. Although you do not detail everything (of course, this is sort of a "speed run), the AI seems to be very aggressive in stabilizing jump points.

As a very cautious player, I've always been extremely wary when stabilizing jump points. I only stabilize what is strictly needed. Does the AI have criterias for choosing what to stabilize? Will it only stabilize jp which leads to "valuable" systems? Or will it stabilize everything?

I personally hope it's the former, as I get ULTRA paranoid when I see all the jump points close to my space being stabilized. I consider jump point defense as one of my main ways to protect myself, and mass stabilization really hampers that... And a stabilized jump point can NEVER be destabilized, so....

At the moment, the AI will tend to stabilise most jump points because it needs those stable jump points for commercial traffic. In terms of jump points to 'valuable' systems, those systems may only become valuable if a large colony is established and that requires commercial access.

As I add more diverse NPR types, I will add NPRs that do not stabilise jump points. For the purposes of getting a release done though, the more diverse NPRs will have to wait for now.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Zincat, serger

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 05:01:20 PM »
How is determined by the AI if a planet should be invaded or glassed? I'm not too fond of seeing AIs wreck planets admittedly...

The NPR will decide if a planet can be successfully invaded. If not, then they will deny it to the enemy if they can.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 02:05:49 AM »
How is determined by the AI if a planet should be invaded or glassed? I'm not too fond of seeing AIs wreck planets admittedly...

The NPR will decide if a planet can be successfully invaded. If not, then they will deny it to the enemy if they can.

Thanks. My question was also about the AI being able to project itself in the future or not (although most commercial AIs don't). If they can't invade a planet within say 2 years but the planet has an incredible potential (to them), should it bombard it to render it useless or should it postpone this decision and wait for a potential invasion?

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 04:07:57 AM »
At the moment, the AI will tend to stabilise most jump points because it needs those stable jump points for commercial traffic. In terms of jump points to 'valuable' systems, those systems may only become valuable if a large colony is established and that requires commercial access.

As I add more diverse NPR types, I will add NPRs that do not stabilise jump points. For the purposes of getting a release done though, the more diverse NPRs will have to wait for now.

That's understandable, I too can't wait for a release so obviously I would never want to delay it for this :P

I am happy you're planning to add more NPR types eventually. In the meanwhile, it just means that ANYTHING I meet will die  ;D No stinky aliens stabilizing my jump points.

Incidentally, it would be great to be able to destabilize a point, both for strategical reasons and for RP. Maybe make it require a stabilization ship, and take 3-4 times the time needed to stabilize it. Of course just an idea for the future.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 04:42:59 AM »
It would be nice in diplomacy to set a jump point to „don’t stabilize this one“ so foreign empires do know you would go to war if some jump stabilizer would begin working on that specific JP.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 04:58:17 AM »
It would be nice in diplomacy to set a jump point to „don’t stabilize this one“ so foreign empires do know you would go to war if some jump stabilizer would begin working on that specific JP.

Yes, that's a good idea. Not for launch but will add something on those lines.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, DIT_grue

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 07:33:10 AM »
The campaign is progressing nicely :) I'm looking forward to some conflict, hopefully between NPRs exclusively at first.  But on that note, shouldn't Roanoke colony and possibly Jamestown too get some planetary STO batteries for the extra defence? I'm interested how well they'll work against ships and Roanoke can become a very target-rich environment :) I'm also interested how effective the ELINT modules would be in gathering sensitive information about the different races capabilities.  The forced non-aggression period seems perfect for gathering ELINT, any plans for that?

This last thing is kinda nitpicky, I'm not sure how you respond to those :) The Gauss turret is missing a comma in its tracking speed:
5" QF Ultraviolet Laser (6)    Range 160,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s     Power 4-4     RM 40,000 km    ROF 5
Twin 3" QF Gauss Cannon Turret (2x6)    Range 10,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 10,000 km    ROF 5

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »
This last thing is kinda nitpicky, I'm not sure how you respond to those :) The Gauss turret is missing a comma in its tracking speed:
5" QF Ultraviolet Laser (6)    Range 160,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s     Power 4-4     RM 40,000 km    ROF 5
Twin 3" QF Gauss Cannon Turret (2x6)    Range 10,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 10,000 km    ROF 5

Oh right, I have another question. Will c#aurora  conform to the OS's standards? I'm looking especially at the decimal separators and digit group separators. Considering that half the world uses a . and the other half a , for decimal separator, and the other for digit group separator.

I imagine so, being a modern program, but I don't think it was written anywhere in the changelog so I'm asking
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:56:48 AM by Zincat »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:45 AM »
The campaign is progressing nicely :) I'm looking forward to some conflict, hopefully between NPRs exclusively at first.  But on that note, shouldn't Roanoke colony and possibly Jamestown too get some planetary STO batteries for the extra defence? I'm interested how well they'll work against ships and Roanoke can become a very target-rich environment :) I'm also interested how effective the ELINT modules would be in gathering sensitive information about the different races capabilities.  The forced non-aggression period seems perfect for gathering ELINT, any plans for that?

ELINT ship is already in the next update.

The following users thanked this post: Demakustus

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »

Oh right, I have another question. Will c#aurora  conform to the OS's standards? I'm looking especially at the decimal separators and digit group separators. Considering that half the world uses a . and the other half a , for decimal separator, and the other for digit group separator.

I imagine so, being a modern program, but I don't think it was written anywhere in the changelog so I'm asking

I haven't done anything explicit with decimal separators.

The following users thanked this post: Demakustus

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Another question!  ;D

Like the "battlin' terraformers" mentioned earlier, will also NPRs ignore any radiation or dust kicked up on a planet with one of their colonies?  Eg, if you carpet nuke an enemy NPR (Martian) colony on a planet that also has a neutral NPR (Titan) colony, will you take a diplo hit with the Titans due to the radiation and dust increase?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:27:50 AM by Neophyte »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
Incidentally, it would be great to be able to destabilize a point, both for strategical reasons and for RP.

Use SpaceMaster.

- - - - -

The reason Jump Gates turned into Stabilized Jump Points was so that people would stop asking to be able to destroy them.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »
Another question!  ;D

Like the "battlin' terraformers" mentioned earlier, will also NPRs ignore any radiation or dust kicked up on a planet with one of their colonies?  Eg, if you carpet nuke an enemy NPR (Martian) colony on a planet that also has a neutral NPR (Titan) colony, will you take a diplo hit with the Titans due to the radiation and dust increase?

Not now, but potential idea. The tricky part would be the NPR assessing the likely reaction of neutral parties and using that to influence the original decision.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline gimlet

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
Awesome!  But on the Leander class, shouldn't the sensor line read (5,5,0,0) if the ELINT counts as EM5?

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »
That's going to be one hell of a knife-fight in a phone booth at Alpha Centuri B-III once the war starts.