Author Topic: Reducing eye strain  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
Re: Reducing eye strain
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 04:26:34 AM »
Agreed, one of the few things the VB version still has going for it is the colour scheme.

Offline lentik

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 04:42:40 AM »
Agreed too . .  it hurts a little my eyes.  Maybe a designer can give proposals - maybe a simple monochrome theme would be great.  Thx alot for that great game and your hard work!

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 07:36:03 AM »
Agree with everything.

Another thing I have a problem with is keeping focus when there are no lines (or different colours) in tables, or boxes seperating different things. It feels like my brain is interpreting pretty much every window as running text and there is even more strain because of it. VB6 Aurora was very easy on my eyes, and despite there being much data in windows it was easier because of the lines and boxes.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:02 AM »
Agree with everything.

Another thing I have a problem with is keeping focus when there are no lines (or different colours) in tables, or boxes seperating different things. It feels like my brain is interpreting pretty much every window as running text and there is even more strain because of it. VB6 Aurora was very easy on my eyes, and despite there being much data in windows it was easier because of the lines and boxes.

In most cases, you can (single!) click on the text and it will highlight the line for you.  You can then move the highlighting up or down with the arrow keys.  Not great, but it helps with long lists of ground forces or events.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »
Have to join.
Miopia + astigmatism + retina degradation, so I have some troubles with reading any way, but this color scheme is worsening things badly.

Offline JohnnyR

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 09:00:50 AM »
I also agree, the color scheme makes it really hard to play the game. Please let us have the default windows color scheme :(

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »
Agree with everything.

In most cases, you can (single!) click on the text and it will highlight the line for you.  You can then move the highlighting up or down with the arrow keys.  Not great, but it helps with long lists of ground forces or events.

Yes, but in most cases you don't read every line, you look for the thing you're looking for. See the number of mass drivers in colony, see how much Galacite you have left, etc.

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
I for one would like a darker theme. Black windows with orange text, or something like that. But I also think the lack of separation in the windows is very confusing.

The following users thanked this post: TeSparg

Offline lentik

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
I personally find the window coloring in Quasar4x realy nice . . .  looked at it and was impressed :).  Maybe this would be also nice for Aurora? 

Offline spqrein

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 08:58:22 PM »
Another solution would be the size of the font or type.       The difference like X vs X or normal size X vs X size 12 or size 12 bold X  I found after some messing around my screen resolution was not much of an issue.       It just seems like the words blend more into the colors than vb.     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:01:34 PM by spqrein »

The following users thanked this post: Mastik

Offline surprise

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:08 PM »
I'll pile on, it's probably not an urgent issue but having the ability to customize the background/font colors and such via a settings menu or something would be fantastic.  In the shorter term, the default windows coloration or taking a common dark theme palette would be an improvement in my opinion.

Offline Naeva

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 01:35:19 AM »
I'd like to add my voice to this, as someone with astigmatism I can't play currently which is a shame.

Customisation would be great from an accessibility standpoint, failing that a hardcoded alternative that isn't white on dark (or is at least say 2x larger and bold on dark) would be good.

Offline theflame681

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 01:47:48 AM »
I also agree that the color choice is a step down compared to VB Aurora.  Hope that a possibility a different color scheme to be chosen will be considered in the future. 

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:20 AM »
Steve had said that it will come - question is just, when.
At the moment his task is squishing bugs. And he does a real MiB here. Impressive. UI and eye strain will hopefully be next so we can run real long term campaigns 😁.

The following users thanked this post: largotuek

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 02:54:03 AM »
I'm going to add my +1 for the simple suggestion here.
And while I have issues with the interface, its nothing compared to what this forum is doing to my eyes right now. :s
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "