Author Topic: Plasma Carronades.  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Plasma Carronades.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »
Plasma carronades might be interesting to put in STOs along with particle lances, and would make for some tough choices for the enemy. stay apart and be picked apart by sniperfire, or to brawl with brutes and drown in plasma. mix in some PD too and you have a very tough planet.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »
You can easily combine Carronades with Particle Beams for a good combination of weapons as role-play option... would seem quite fun in my opinion.

That's actually what I was planning on doing, possibly also with some missile bombers mixed in for some extra long range bombardment capability.

You probably would have to rely on AMM and strong shields for anti-missile work though as neither of these beams are good to fight missiles in any way.

Would gauss and armor be insufficient?
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
You can easily combine Carronades with Particle Beams for a good combination of weapons as role-play option... would seem quite fun in my opinion.

That's actually what I was planning on doing, possibly also with some missile bombers mixed in for some extra long range bombardment capability.

You probably would have to rely on AMM and strong shields for anti-missile work though as neither of these beams are good to fight missiles in any way.

Reread what he was responding to - the proposed weapon mix was Carronades and Particle Beams. Neither of which are any good at PD, and if you know you're going to be taking hits, then having a defense that doesn't ablate permanently, like shields, is a good idea.

Offline Scorchicus

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:57 AM »
Carronades are very straightforward.  Their advantages are that they cost half as much to research and half as much to build as other weapon types.  This makes them great to increase your Racial Weapon Strength to power up your ground forces if you're going with a missile focussed strategy and need something smaller than an atomic explosion.

They're also suited for jump point defence, where they can negate their main weakness of awful damage drop off.  Stations like that would also be good at providing a protection value for the system, both roles where you might not want a missile system.

Plasma Carronades: The best beam weapon in the game for people that don't use beam weapons, since they cover missile's weaknesses at the minimum possible cost.

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »

Reread what he was responding to - the proposed weapon mix was Carronades and Particle Beams. Neither of which are any good at PD, and if you know you're going to be taking hits, then having a defense that doesn't ablate permanently, like shields, is a good idea.

Sorry, I was not clear. My proposition is fighters armed with carronades and particle beams and capital ships (carriers) armed with gauss.

I draw inspiration from BSG, though I dislike the Viper fighter proposed in that universe.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...